Art Schools in America
U.S. News & World Report regularly surveys colleges and universities in the United States to create a list of the best art schools based on overall academic value. These are some of the schools in America frequently mentioned in their annual reports.
- Rhode Island School of Design: This school has a high profile in art and design and enjoys the respect from art experts to back it up.
- Yale University: The undergraduate major includes courses for several forms of visual art, art history and techniques that prepare the student for more focused graduate work.
- Art Institute of Chicago: This college is housed in one of the nation's finest art museums. It's a unique cohesion of art history and art education.
- Cranbrook Academy of Art: This school is noted for its development of modernism in architecture, art, design and other art forms.
- Maryland Institute College of Art: MICA has a primary focus on visual arts that include graphic design, illustration, animation and video & film arts.
- Virginia Commonwealth University: This public school offers eighteen undergraduate majors that include the fine arts, many of the new digital arts and design programs.
- California Institute of the Arts: The first academy to offer programs in both visual and performing arts. Majors include fine arts, theater, dance and music.
- Carnegie Mellon University: The College of Art at CMU includes schools of Art, Architecture, Design, Drama and Music.
- UCLA: Some interesting majors in this School of Arts and Architecture include Ethnomusicology, World Arts and Cultures, and Urban Design.
- Art Center College of Design: The college offers undergraduate programs in Advertising, Environmental Design, Entertainment Design and Product Design.