Associate Degrees are undergraduate degrees that typically take two years to complete. The three-part degree program is comprised of general education courses, major field of study courses, and elective classes--adding up to a total of 60 semester-credit hours. The Associate Degree, offered by community colleges, junior colleges, business colleges and trade schools, acknowledges that the student has completed a traditional undergraduate general education along with a foundation of studies in a major field.
There are typically three kinds of Associate Degrees offered by American colleges: the Associate of Arts Degree (A.A.), Associate of Science Degree (A.S.), or the Associate of Applied Science Degree (A.A.S.). The A.A. Degree traditionally focuses on arts, humanities, or social sciences, while the A.S. Degree may concentrate on technology, mathematics, or natural sciences.
The A.A. and A.S. degrees are customarily accepted when a student transfers or enters a four-year, Bachelor Degree program at a college or university. Up to 60 hours of the Associate Degree coursework may be accepted toward the four-year degree. The A.S.S. degree traditionally is a career-focused degree program that allows graduates to enter the workplace with their new specialty or transfer to a four-year college.
There are also technical, career-oriented Associate Degree programs that name their specialty, such as Associate in Applied Science, Associate in Occupational Studies, Associate of Science in Nursing, or Associate in Physical Therapy.
The U.S. Department of Labor reports that the Associate Degree can qualify applicants for occupations such as veterinary techs, registered nurses, dental hygienists, paralegals, computer support specialists, and legal secretaries.
U.S. Department of Labor
- Sports Marketing and Media, Bachelor of Science
- Graphic Design, Bachelor of Science (Online)
- Digital Cinematography, Bachelor of Science More...
- HVACR Technician
- Diesel Mechanics
- Veterinary Assistant More...
For over 35 years, Keiser University has provided student-centered, quality career education. Keiser University Online offers degree programs online to prepare students for in-demand professions.
- Associate of Science in Medical Assisting Science
- Associate of Science in Information Technology
- Associate of Science in Medical Administrative Billing and Coding More...
NU has been educating leaders since 1934 at our campus near Seattle. If you have a dream, we can help make it possible.
- Associate of Arts in General Studies
- Associate in Ministry Leadership
- Bachelor of Arts in Business Management More...
- Veterinary Technology - Associates
- Respiratory Therapy
- Healthcare Management More...
You’ve expressed interest in Blue Cliff College before, now we have online programs to better fit your busy lifestyle. Enroll now!
- Health Information/Medical Billing & Coding
Congratulations! Your interest in Independence University is an important first step toward changing your life. A career-focused degree is the key to a career with a potentially higher income, better benefits, and more satisfaction.
- Graphic Arts (AAS)
- Business Management & Accounting (AAS)
- Web Design and Development (BS) More...
Designed with the needs of working adult students in mind, South University, Online Programs is built on the similar curriculum offered at South University's campus locations. As a student at South University, Online Programs you will receive the same quality instruction, variety of learning options and level of service found at the campus locations.
- Paralegal Studies (AS)
- Allied Health Science (AS)
- Criminal Justice (BS) More...
- Veterinary Assistant
- Grooming Instruction
- Certified Dog Trainer Instructor Course