Doctorate degrees are the pinnacle of accomplishment in higher learning. The first doctorate degree was offered in the United States in 1861. Research doctorate degrees, known as Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D), may also be titled by their specialization.
For example, engineering doctorates are called Doctor of Engineering (EngD), law doctorates are known as Doctor of Jurisprudence (JD), and business doctorates known as Doctor of Business Administration (DBA). Education doctorate degrees are called Doctor of Education (EdD). Physicians can earn a doctoral degree in medicine known as the MD. The Doctor of Public Health degree (DPH) is granted for completion of a program in health administration.
The doctorate degree can take from two to six years to complete. Coursework may be completed in as little as four semesters, with students spending the balance of the program time in dedicated research. Completion requirements often include a qualifying examination and the research, presentation, and defense of a publishable dissertation on a specialized niche within the general field.
Requirements for entry into a doctoral program vary by institution and doctorate degree type. Most programs require a pre-entry examination, prior undergraduate and/or graduate level work, and recommendation letters. Other designated doctorate degrees include Doctor of Applied Science (D.A.S.), Doctor of Chemistry (D.Chem.), Doctor of Computer Science (D.C.S.), Doctor of Library Science (D.L.S.), Doctor of Ministry (D.Min., D.M.), Doctor of Nursing Science (D.N.S./D.N.Sc.), Doctor of Science in Dentistry (D.Sc.D.), and Doctor of Theology (Th.D.).
Professional doctorates are also given in a wide range of disciplines, including Chiropractic (D.C.), Pharmacy (Pharm.D.), Veterinary Medicine (D.V.M.), Psychology (Psy.D.), Osteopathic Medicine (D.O.), and Physical Therapy (D.P.T.).
- Ed.D. Educational Psychology and Technology
- Ph.D. Organizational Leadership
- Ph.D. Business Psychology, Consulting More...
Trident University International provides an exceptional online educational experience for its students – diverse adult learners including current and former members of the military family.
- Educational Leadership (Ed.D.)
- Business Administration (Ph.D. BA)
- Health Sciences (Ph.D. HS) More...
Earn your graduate degree online with Northcentral University.
- Criminal Justice - PhD in Bus. Admin.
- International Education - Doctor of Education
- Public Administration - D.B.A. More...
- Doctor of Education/Educational Leadership
- Doctor of Education/Curriculum and Instruction
- Doctor of Business Administration More...
- Educational Administration (EDD)
- Higher Education (EDD)
Argosy University offers doctoral, master's, and bachelor's degree programs to students through its seven colleges: Psychology and Behavioral Sciences, Business, Education, Health Sciences, Undergraduate Studies, The Art Institute of California and Western State College of Law as well as certificate programs in many areas.
- Pastoral Community Counseling (EdD) (Online)
- Business Administration (DBA) (Online)
- Higher and Post-Secondary Education (EdD) (Online) More...
Grow, lead, succeed - with an online graduate degree
Keiser University Graduate School provides student-centered, quality career education that enables you to make an immediate contribution to your profession.
- Doctor of Business Administration, DBA
- Instructional Design and Technology, PhD (Online)
- Industrial and Organizational Psychology ,PhD More...
- Doctor of Education (Higher Education)
Earn your degree online with Grand Canyon University. We offer approximately 100 bachelor's, master's, and doctoral degree programs in a variety of fields that can be completed 100% online.
- Ph.D. in Organizational Leadership with an Emphasis in Special Education
- D.B.A. with an Emphasis in Management
- Ed.D. in Organizational Leadership - Christian Ministry More...
Kaplan University is focused on recognizing the achievements of military and veteran students and offers the flexibility of an online education.
- DNP- Adult Nurse Practitioner
- Doctor of Nursing Practice
- DNP - Family Nurse Practitioner More...