Doctorate degrees are the pinnacle of accomplishment in higher learning. The first doctorate degree was offered in the United States in 1861. Research doctorate degrees, known as Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D), may also be titled by their specialization.
For example, engineering doctorates are called Doctor of Engineering (EngD), law doctorates are known as Doctor of Jurisprudence (JD), and business doctorates known as Doctor of Business Administration (DBA). Education doctorate degrees are called Doctor of Education (EdD). Physicians can earn a doctoral degree in medicine known as the MD. The Doctor of Public Health degree (DPH) is granted for completion of a program in health administration.
The doctorate degree can take from two to six years to complete. Coursework may be completed in as little as four semesters, with students spending the balance of the program time in dedicated research. Completion requirements often include a qualifying examination and the research, presentation, and defense of a publishable dissertation on a specialized niche within the general field.
Requirements for entry into a doctoral program vary by institution and doctorate degree type. Most programs require a pre-entry examination, prior undergraduate and/or graduate level work, and recommendation letters. Other designated doctorate degrees include Doctor of Applied Science (D.A.S.), Doctor of Chemistry (D.Chem.), Doctor of Computer Science (D.C.S.), Doctor of Library Science (D.L.S.), Doctor of Ministry (D.Min., D.M.), Doctor of Nursing Science (D.N.S./D.N.Sc.), Doctor of Science in Dentistry (D.Sc.D.), and Doctor of Theology (Th.D.).
Professional doctorates are also given in a wide range of disciplines, including Chiropractic (D.C.), Pharmacy (Pharm.D.), Veterinary Medicine (D.V.M.), Psychology (Psy.D.), Osteopathic Medicine (D.O.), and Physical Therapy (D.P.T.).
- Doctor of Nursing Practice
Argosy University offers doctoral, master's, and bachelor's degree programs to students through its seven colleges: Psychology and Behavioral Sciences, Business, Education, Health Sciences, Undergraduate Studies, The Art Institute of California and Western State College of Law as well as certificate programs in many areas.
- Business Administration (DBA) (Online)
- Organizational Leadership (EdD) (Online)
- Curriculum and Instruction (EdD) (Online) More...
Capella provides a flexible online learning environment designed for working adults who want to advance in their profession.
- DBA - Leadership
- PhD - Social and Community Services
- PhD - Information Technology, General More...
With more than 300 online and residential areas of study, Liberty offers programs from the certificate to doctoral level.
- Doctor of Ministry: Discipleship
- Educational Specialist - Educational Leadership
- DBA in Project Management More...
- Ph.D. in Public Policy and Administration - Local Government Management for Sustainab
- Doctor of Education - Administrator Leadership for Teaching & Learning
- D.B.A. - Marketing More...
- Doctor of Education (Higher Education)
- Doctorate of Business Administration
Keiser University offers degrees in fields that are in demand and provides job placement assistance to all its students and alumni.
- Doctor of Business Administration, DBA
- Instructional Design and Technology, PhD (Online)
- Industrial and Organizational Psychology ,PhD More...
Kaplan University is focused on recognizing the achievements of military and veteran students and offers the flexibility of an online education.
- DNP- Adult Nurse Practitioner
- Doctor of Nursing Practice
- DNP - Family Nurse Practitioner More...
- Doctorate in Healthcare Management and Leadership
- Doctorate in Global Business and Leadership
- Doctorate in Information Systems and Enterprise Resource Management More...
- Transformational Leadership (EDD)
- Teacher Leadership (EDD)
- Educational Administration (EDD) More...