Doctorate degrees are the pinnacle of accomplishment in higher learning. The first doctorate degree was offered in the United States in 1861. Research doctorate degrees, known as Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D), may also be titled by their specialization.
For example, engineering doctorates are called Doctor of Engineering (EngD), law doctorates are known as Doctor of Jurisprudence (JD), and business doctorates known as Doctor of Business Administration (DBA). Education doctorate degrees are called Doctor of Education (EdD). Physicians can earn a doctoral degree in medicine known as the MD. The Doctor of Public Health degree (DPH) is granted for completion of a program in health administration.
The doctorate degree can take from two to six years to complete. Coursework may be completed in as little as four semesters, with students spending the balance of the program time in dedicated research. Completion requirements often include a qualifying examination and the research, presentation, and defense of a publishable dissertation on a specialized niche within the general field.
Requirements for entry into a doctoral program vary by institution and doctorate degree type. Most programs require a pre-entry examination, prior undergraduate and/or graduate level work, and recommendation letters. Other designated doctorate degrees include Doctor of Applied Science (D.A.S.), Doctor of Chemistry (D.Chem.), Doctor of Computer Science (D.C.S.), Doctor of Library Science (D.L.S.), Doctor of Ministry (D.Min., D.M.), Doctor of Nursing Science (D.N.S./D.N.Sc.), Doctor of Science in Dentistry (D.Sc.D.), and Doctor of Theology (Th.D.).
Professional doctorates are also given in a wide range of disciplines, including Chiropractic (D.C.), Pharmacy (Pharm.D.), Veterinary Medicine (D.V.M.), Psychology (Psy.D.), Osteopathic Medicine (D.O.), and Physical Therapy (D.P.T.).
- Ph.D. in Organizational Leadership with an Emphasis in Special Education
- D.B.A. with an Emphasis in Management
- Ed.D. in Organizational Leadership - Christian Ministry More...
- Doctor of Education/Educational Leadership
- Doctor of Education/Curriculum and Instruction
- Doctor of Business Administration More...
Capella provides a flexible online learning environment designed for working adults who want to advance in their profession.
- DBA - Leadership
- PhD - Social and Community Services
- PhD - Information Technology General More...
Be a part of the world’s premier institution for humanistic studies at Saybrook University.
- Ph.D. Psychology
- Ph.D. Psychology, Psychophysiology Specialization
- Ph.D. in Clinical Psychology More...
With more than 300 online and residential areas of study, Liberty offers programs from the certificate to doctoral level.
- Doctor of Ministry: Discipleship
- Educational Specialist - Educational Leadership
- DBA in Project Management More...
Abilene Christian University is a national leader in Christian higher education and a place where students, faculty, staff and alumni make a real difference in the world.
- Doctor of Education in Organizatonal Leadership - Higher Education Track
- Doctor of Education in Organizatonal Leadership
- Doctor of Education in Organizatonal Leadership - Conflict Resolution Track More...
Grow, lead, succeed - with an online graduate degree
Keiser University Graduate School provides student-centered, quality career education that enables you to make an immediate contribution to your profession.
- Doctor of Business Administration, DBA
- Instructional Design and Technology, PhD (Online)
- Industrial and Organizational Psychology ,PhD More...
- Online Ph.D. Applied Behavior Analysis
- Ph.D. Applied Behavior Analysis
- Ed.D. Educational Psychology and Technology More...
Founded in 1872, Maryville University is a four-year, private university located in west St. Louis County.
- Online Bachelor of Science in Nursing to Doctor of Nursing Practice (BSN to DNP)-Adult-Gerontology Primary Care Nurse Practitioner (AGPCNP)
- Online Bachelor of Science in Nursing to Doctor of Nursing Practice (BSN to DNP)
- Online Bachelor of Science in Nursing to Doctor of Nursing Practice (BSN to DNP)-Adult-Gerontology Acute Care Nurse Practitioner (AGACNP) More...
Welcome to Argosy University
Argosy University offers doctoral, master's, and bachelor's degree programs to students through its eight colleges: College of Behavioral Sciences, Graduate School of Business and Management, College of Education, College of Health Sciences, College of Arts and Sciences, College of Creative Arts and Design, College of Clinical Psychology and Western State College of Law at Argosy University as well as certificate programs in many areas.
- Pastoral Community Counseling (EdD) (Online)
- Business Administration (DBA) (Online)
- Higher and Post-Secondary Education (EdD) (Online) More...