Doctorate degrees are the pinnacle of accomplishment in higher learning. The first doctorate degree was offered in the United States in 1861. Research doctorate degrees, known as Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D), may also be titled by their specialization.
For example, engineering doctorates are called Doctor of Engineering (EngD), law doctorates are known as Doctor of Jurisprudence (JD), and business doctorates known as Doctor of Business Administration (DBA). Education doctorate degrees are called Doctor of Education (EdD). Physicians can earn a doctoral degree in medicine known as the MD. The Doctor of Public Health degree (DPH) is granted for completion of a program in health administration.
The doctorate degree can take from two to six years to complete. Coursework may be completed in as little as four semesters, with students spending the balance of the program time in dedicated research. Completion requirements often include a qualifying examination and the research, presentation, and defense of a publishable dissertation on a specialized niche within the general field.
Requirements for entry into a doctoral program vary by institution and doctorate degree type. Most programs require a pre-entry examination, prior undergraduate and/or graduate level work, and recommendation letters. Other designated doctorate degrees include Doctor of Applied Science (D.A.S.), Doctor of Chemistry (D.Chem.), Doctor of Computer Science (D.C.S.), Doctor of Library Science (D.L.S.), Doctor of Ministry (D.Min., D.M.), Doctor of Nursing Science (D.N.S./D.N.Sc.), Doctor of Science in Dentistry (D.Sc.D.), and Doctor of Theology (Th.D.).
Professional doctorates are also given in a wide range of disciplines, including Chiropractic (D.C.), Pharmacy (Pharm.D.), Veterinary Medicine (D.V.M.), Psychology (Psy.D.), Osteopathic Medicine (D.O.), and Physical Therapy (D.P.T.).
- Doctor of Education/Educational Leadership
- Doctor of Education/Curriculum and Instruction
- Doctor of Business Administration More...
- Doctorate in Healthcare Management and Leadership
- Doctorate in Global Business and Leadership
- Doctorate in Information Systems and Enterprise Resource Management More...
Capella provides a flexible online learning environment designed for working adults who want to advance in their profession.
- DBA - Leadership
- PhD - Social and Community Services
- PhD - Information Technology General More...
Argosy University offers doctoral, master's, and bachelor's degree programs to students through its seven colleges: Psychology and Behavioral Sciences, Business, Education, Health Sciences, Undergraduate Studies, The Art Institute of California and Western State College of Law as well as certificate programs in many areas.
- Pastoral Community Counseling (EdD) (Online)
- Business Administration (DBA) (Online)
- Higher and Post-Secondary Education (EdD) (Online) More...
Kaplan University is focused on recognizing the achievements of military and veteran students and offers the flexibility of an online education.
- DNP- Adult Nurse Practitioner
- Doctor of Nursing Practice
- DNP - Family Nurse Practitioner More...
- Transformational Leadership (EDD)
- Teacher Leadership (EDD)
- Educational Administration (EDD) More...
Trident University International provides an exceptional online educational experience for its students – diverse adult learners including current and former members of the military family.
- Educational Leadership (Ed.D.)
- Business Administration (Ph.D. BA)
- Health Sciences (Ph.D. HS) More...
- Doctor of Education (Higher Education)
- Doctor of Education - Administrator Leadership for Teaching & Learning
- Ph.D. in Public Policy and Administration - Local Government Management for Sustainab
- D.B.A. - Marketing More...
- Doctor of Nursing Practice Educational Leadership
- Doctor of Nursing Practice - Executive Leadership