Doctorate degrees are the pinnacle of accomplishment in higher learning. The first doctorate degree was offered in the United States in 1861. Research doctorate degrees, known as Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D), may also be titled by their specialization.
For example, engineering doctorates are called Doctor of Engineering (EngD), law doctorates are known as Doctor of Jurisprudence (JD), and business doctorates known as Doctor of Business Administration (DBA). Education doctorate degrees are called Doctor of Education (EdD). Physicians can earn a doctoral degree in medicine known as the MD. The Doctor of Public Health degree (DPH) is granted for completion of a program in health administration.
The doctorate degree can take from two to six years to complete. Coursework may be completed in as little as four semesters, with students spending the balance of the program time in dedicated research. Completion requirements often include a qualifying examination and the research, presentation, and defense of a publishable dissertation on a specialized niche within the general field.
Requirements for entry into a doctoral program vary by institution and doctorate degree type. Most programs require a pre-entry examination, prior undergraduate and/or graduate level work, and recommendation letters. Other designated doctorate degrees include Doctor of Applied Science (D.A.S.), Doctor of Chemistry (D.Chem.), Doctor of Computer Science (D.C.S.), Doctor of Library Science (D.L.S.), Doctor of Ministry (D.Min., D.M.), Doctor of Nursing Science (D.N.S./D.N.Sc.), Doctor of Science in Dentistry (D.Sc.D.), and Doctor of Theology (Th.D.).
Professional doctorates are also given in a wide range of disciplines, including Chiropractic (D.C.), Pharmacy (Pharm.D.), Veterinary Medicine (D.V.M.), Psychology (Psy.D.), Osteopathic Medicine (D.O.), and Physical Therapy (D.P.T.).
- Doctor of Education/Educational Leadership
- Doctor of Education/Curriculum and Instruction
- Doctor of Business Administration More...
Earn your degree online with Grand Canyon University. We offer approximately 100 bachelor's, master's, and doctoral degree programs in a variety of fields that can be completed 100% online.
- Ph.D. in Organizational Leadership with an Emphasis in Special Education
- D.B.A. with an Emphasis in Management
- Ed.D. in Organizational Leadership - Christian Ministry More...
Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Ph.D. in Public Policy and Administration - Local Government Management for Sustainab
- Doctor of Education - Administrator Leadership for Teaching & Learning
- D.B.A. - Marketing More...
- Doctor of Behavioral Health
- Educational Administration (EDD)
- Higher Education (EDD)
Designed with the needs of working adult students in mind, South University, Online Programs is built on the similar curriculum offered at South University's campus locations. As a student at South University, Online Programs you will receive the same quality instruction, variety of learning options and level of service found at the campus locations.
- Doctor of Nurse Practice
- Ed.D. Educational Psychology and Technology
- Ph.D. Organizational Leadership
- Ph.D. Business Psychology, Consulting More...
Welcome to Argosy University
Argosy University offers doctoral, master's, and bachelor's degree programs to students through its eight colleges: College of Behavioral Sciences, Graduate School of Business and Management, College of Education, College of Health Sciences, College of Arts and Sciences, College of Creative Arts and Design, College of Clinical Psychology and Western State College of Law at Argosy University as well as certificate programs in many areas.
- Pastoral Community Counseling (EdD) (Online)
- Business Administration (DBA) (Online)
- Higher and Post-Secondary Education (EdD) (Online) More...
With more than 300 online and residential areas of study, Liberty offers programs from the certificate to doctoral level.
- Doctor of Ministry: Discipleship
- Educational Specialist - Educational Leadership
- DBA in Project Management More...