Doctorate degrees are the pinnacle of accomplishment in higher learning. The first doctorate degree was offered in the United States in 1861. Research doctorate degrees, known as Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D), may also be titled by their specialization.
For example, engineering doctorates are called Doctor of Engineering (EngD), law doctorates are known as Doctor of Jurisprudence (JD), and business doctorates known as Doctor of Business Administration (DBA). Education doctorate degrees are called Doctor of Education (EdD). Physicians can earn a doctoral degree in medicine known as the MD. The Doctor of Public Health degree (DPH) is granted for completion of a program in health administration.
The doctorate degree can take from two to six years to complete. Coursework may be completed in as little as four semesters, with students spending the balance of the program time in dedicated research. Completion requirements often include a qualifying examination and the research, presentation, and defense of a publishable dissertation on a specialized niche within the general field.
Requirements for entry into a doctoral program vary by institution and doctorate degree type. Most programs require a pre-entry examination, prior undergraduate and/or graduate level work, and recommendation letters. Other designated doctorate degrees include Doctor of Applied Science (D.A.S.), Doctor of Chemistry (D.Chem.), Doctor of Computer Science (D.C.S.), Doctor of Library Science (D.L.S.), Doctor of Ministry (D.Min., D.M.), Doctor of Nursing Science (D.N.S./D.N.Sc.), Doctor of Science in Dentistry (D.Sc.D.), and Doctor of Theology (Th.D.).
Professional doctorates are also given in a wide range of disciplines, including Chiropractic (D.C.), Pharmacy (Pharm.D.), Veterinary Medicine (D.V.M.), Psychology (Psy.D.), Osteopathic Medicine (D.O.), and Physical Therapy (D.P.T.).
Capella provides a flexible online learning environment designed for working adults who want to advance in their profession.
- DBA - Leadership
- PhD - Social and Community Services
- PhD - Information Technology General More...
- Doctor of Education/Educational Leadership
- Doctor of Education/Curriculum and Instruction
- Doctor of Business Administration More...
Earn your degree online with Grand Canyon University. We offer approximately 100 bachelor's, master's, and doctoral degree programs in a variety of fields that can be completed 100% online.
- Ph.D. in Organizational Leadership with an Emphasis in Special Education
- D.B.A. with an Emphasis in Management
- Ed.D. in Organizational Leadership - Christian Ministry More...
Welcome to Southeastern University — your Christ-centered partner in higher education. Whether online or in the classroom, students enrolled in a degree program at Southeastern University will benefit from a faith-based education while immersed in a student-focused learning community.
- Doctor of Education - Educational Leadership in K-12 Schools Concentration
- Doctor of Education - Organizational Leadership Concentration
- Doctor of Education - Curriculum and Instruction Concentration More...
With more than 300 online and residential areas of study, Liberty offers programs from the certificate to doctoral level.
- Doctor of Ministry: Discipleship
- Educational Specialist - Educational Leadership
- DBA in Project Management More...
Kaplan University is focused on recognizing the achievements of military and veteran students and offers the flexibility of an online education.
- DNP- Adult Nurse Practitioner
- Doctor of Nursing Practice
- DNP - Family Nurse Practitioner More...
- Doctor of Education (Higher Education)
- Doctorate of Business Administration
- Ph.D. in Public Policy and Administration - Local Government Management for Sustainab
- Doctor of Education - Administrator Leadership for Teaching & Learning
- D.B.A. - Marketing More...
- Doctor of Nurse Practice