Nursing Master's Degrees
You aren't new to nursing: whether you entered the real working world as an RN to BSN, you have years of experience under your belt by now, no stranger to the basics of care and bedside manner. But you're hungry for something more. A master's degree in nursing can give you exactly that.
• In terms of education level, a Master of Science in Nursing (MSN) is the end of the road for most nurses.
• A master's degree will expose you to the research, science, and leadership side of nursing, preparing you for career options beyond the bedside.
• A master's degree will allow you to specialize, branching off into one of several different exciting healthcare-related fields.
• Programs are available to progress to an MSN from both the RN and the BSN level.
But What Will I Learn With a Master's Degree?
While associate and bachelor level degrees put an emphasis on the nuts and bolts of nursing – anatomy, physiology, detecting and treating disease – master's degrees narrow things down to specialties. In addition, there is more of a focus on leadership and cutting-edge theory, allowing many master's degrees in nursing to be available at online schools. General nursing master's programs will cover such issues as:
• Advanced Ethics and Legal Issues in Health Care
• Further Trends and Concepts in Health Care Theory
• The Impact of Health Care on Local Communities
• Leadership in Crisis and Everyday Tasks
However, the main goal is to acquire to supplement your basic MSN degree with a certificate, qualifying you to branch out into one of several specialties. A few of those are:
• Nurse Practitioner
• Certified Nurse Anesthetist
• Clinical Nurse Specialist
• Certified Nurse Midwife
What Kind of Career Can I Find?
Graduating with an MSN degree allows you to work as an Advanced Practice Nurse (APN). As the base for a Nurse Practitioner, APNs are in high demand with hospitals and clinics everywhere, performing duties almost interchangeable with the daily routines of most primary care doctors and even some specialists.
As you can see from the specialization certificates available, there is also a lot of room to grow as an individual with a master's degree in nursing. With the right training, a nurse can become a clinically certified anesthetist, midwife, oncology or gerontology specialist, or more. That said, career opportunities don't stop there. For nurses who want to move into administration, there is great demand in the world of health systems, as records move into the digital world. The health care education field is also in great need of educators to train the next wave of potential nurses, well-qualified nurses interested in teaching will find themselves in extremely high demand.
Of course, over time you may feel like it's time to challenge yourself once again. With an MSN, you have the power to successfully advance to post-graduate certificates or even a doctorate.
Nursing@Simmons, the innovative, online nursing degree program from Simmons School of Nursing and Health Sciences prepares Registered Nurses for the next stage of their careers.
You need to have a Bachelor’s degree and RN license to be qualified for this school.
- MSN - Family Nurse Practitioner
- RN to MSN - Family Nurse Practitioner
Wilkes University’s School of Nursing offers CCNE-accredited online degrees and certificate programs ideal for working health care professionals, instructed by experienced, respected faculty dedicated to mentoring and personalized support for every student.
- M.S. with Major in Nursing - Nursing Informatics
- RN to MS - Nursing Informatics
- M.S. with Major in Nursing - Nurse Executive More...
Designed with the needs of working adult students in mind, South University, Online Programs is built on the similar curriculum offered at South University's campus locations. As a student at South University, Online Programs you will receive the same quality instruction, variety of learning options and level of service found at the campus locations.
- RN to Master of Science in Nursing with a specialization in Family Nurse Practitioner (RN-MSN)
- RN to Master of Science in Nursing with a specialization in Adult-Gerontology Primary Care Nurse Practitioner (RN-MSN)
- Specialization in Nurse Administrator (MSN) More...
Study online with California University of Pennsylvania.
- MSN Nursing Administration & Leadership (Master of Science) - Online
- Dual Degree: MSN-MBA (MSN-MBA) - Online