Nursing Master's Degrees
You aren't new to nursing: whether you entered the real working world as an RN to BSN, you have years of experience under your belt by now, no stranger to the basics of care and bedside manner. But you're hungry for something more. A master's degree in nursing can give you exactly that.
• In terms of education level, a Master of Science in Nursing (MSN) is the end of the road for most nurses.
• A master's degree will expose you to the research, science, and leadership side of nursing, preparing you for career options beyond the bedside.
• A master's degree will allow you to specialize, branching off into one of several different exciting healthcare-related fields.
• Programs are available to progress to an MSN from both the RN and the BSN level.
But What Will I Learn With a Master's Degree?
While associate and bachelor level degrees put an emphasis on the nuts and bolts of nursing – anatomy, physiology, detecting and treating disease – master's degrees narrow things down to specialties. In addition, there is more of a focus on leadership and cutting-edge theory, allowing many master's degrees in nursing to be available at online schools. General nursing master's programs will cover such issues as:
• Advanced Ethics and Legal Issues in Health Care
• Further Trends and Concepts in Health Care Theory
• The Impact of Health Care on Local Communities
• Leadership in Crisis and Everyday Tasks
However, the main goal is to acquire to supplement your basic MSN degree with a certificate, qualifying you to branch out into one of several specialties. A few of those are:
• Nurse Practitioner
• Certified Nurse Anesthetist
• Clinical Nurse Specialist
• Certified Nurse Midwife
What Kind of Career Can I Find?
Graduating with an MSN degree allows you to work as an Advanced Practice Nurse (APN). As the base for a Nurse Practitioner, APNs are in high demand with hospitals and clinics everywhere, performing duties almost interchangeable with the daily routines of most primary care doctors and even some specialists.
As you can see from the specialization certificates available, there is also a lot of room to grow as an individual with a master's degree in nursing. With the right training, a nurse can become a clinically certified anesthetist, midwife, oncology or gerontology specialist, or more. That said, career opportunities don't stop there. For nurses who want to move into administration, there is great demand in the world of health systems, as records move into the digital world. The health care education field is also in great need of educators to train the next wave of potential nurses, well-qualified nurses interested in teaching will find themselves in extremely high demand.
Of course, over time you may feel like it's time to challenge yourself once again. With an MSN, you have the power to successfully advance to post-graduate certificates or even a doctorate.
- RN to MS - Nursing Informatics
- M.S. with Major in Nursing - Nursing Informatics
- M.S. with Major in Nursing - Nurse Executive More...
- M.S. in Nursing: Health Care Informatics (Bridge)
- M.S. in Nursing: Public Health (Bridge)
- M.S. in Nursing: Nursing Leadership in Health Care Systems More...
An accredited online university, Capella University offers bachelor’s, master’s/MBA, doctoral, and certificate programs designed to take you to the forefront of your profession.
- MSN - RN-to-MSN Care Coordination (CCNE-accredited)
- MSN - Nursing Informatics (CCNE-accredited)
- MSN - RN-to-MSN Diabetes Nursing (CCNE-accredited) More...
Baker College is proud to be the largest independent college in Michigan with the most focused approach to education and training available. With one of the highest graduate employment rates in the country, our mission is to help our students find meaningful employment.
- Nursing Administration - Master's
- Nursing Education - Master's
Saint Xavier University, Chicago’s oldest Catholic university, has a long history of educating students to prepare them for professional success and lay the foundation for personal fulfillment.
- MSN in Clinical Leadership
- MSN in Executive Leadership
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- Dual Degree: MSN-MBA (MSN-MBA) - Online
- MSN Nursing Administration & Leadership (Master of Science) - Online
- Master of Public Health - Health Policy and Administration
- MHA - Master of Healthcare Administration : Population Health
- M.A. Integrative Wellness Coaching
- Master of Public Health
- MA/Health Care Administration