Claiborne Pell, Senator Behind College Grants Dies
The Creator of the Pell grant, Claiborne Pell died this week at age 90. In 1972 he set out to create a federal scholarship and grant program based on financial need to help students go to college.�� This would become the largest program for federal college grants.
His most widely known legacy is the Pell Grant, which helps millions of American undergraduates pay for college each year. In 2008, the program was expected to distribute almost 5.6 million grants totaling $16.4 billion, an average award of $2,945, according to the U.S. Education Department.
He also successfully shepherded legislation, actively supported by President Lyndon Johnson, that created the National Endowment for the Arts and the National Endowment for the Humanities in 1965.
Pell told the New York Times in 1996 that while the program "has exceeded my wildest hopes," he regretted that it hadn't become an entitlement, like Social Security, that would be immune to annual budget battles.
Claiborne Pell was a senate Democrat who represented Rhode Island.�� In 1995 he announced that he had Parkinson's diseases, and retired from the senate in 1997, at the end of his sixth term.
- Psychology (BA) (Online)
- Business Administration - Accounting (BS) (Online)
- Business Administration - Healthcare Management (BS) (Online) More...
- Veterinary Technology Alternate Route - Certificate
- Respiratory Therapy
- Veterinary Technology - Associates More...
An accredited online university, Capella University offers bachelor’s, master’s/MBA, doctoral, and certificate programs designed to take you to the forefront of your profession.
- MS - Addiction Studies
- MS - School Counseling (CACREP-accredited)
- MSN - RN-to-MSN Diabetes Nursing (CCNE-accredited) More...
Liberty University provides a world-class education with a solid Christian foundation, equipping men and women with the values, knowledge, and skills essential for success in every aspect of life.
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Ministry: Evangelism & Church Planting
- M.Div: Homiletics More...
The MSW@USC is the first top-ranked MSW program offered nationally. Many online programs are limited to certain geographic areas or the availability of courses, making it necessary to travel to campus. Our program can be completed from virtually anywhere without the need to relocate to Southern California.
- Doctor of Social Work
- Master of Social Work
General Assembly is a pioneer in education and career transformation, specializing in today’s most in-demand skills.
- Digital Marketing (Part Time)
- User Experience Design (Full Time)
Founded in 1766, Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, is a leading national public research university and the state’s preeminent, comprehensive public institution of higher learning.
- Online Master of Social Work
- Online Master of Information
- Online Bachelor of Science in Nursing
Change the World with American University
Be a part of something bigger than yourself.
- Graduate Certificate in Human Resource Analytics and Mangement
- Master of Science in Measurement & Evaluation
- Master of Science in Nutrition Education More...
The Maxwell School of Citizenship and Public Affairs is Syracuse University’s home for innovative, interdisciplinary teaching and research in the social sciences, public policy, public administration, and international relations.
- Executive Master of Public Administration (Executive MPA)