Claiborne Pell, Senator Behind College Grants Dies
The Creator of the Pell grant, Claiborne Pell died this week at age 90. In 1972 he set out to create a federal scholarship and grant program based on financial need to help students go to college.�� This would become the largest program for federal college grants.
His most widely known legacy is the Pell Grant, which helps millions of American undergraduates pay for college each year. In 2008, the program was expected to distribute almost 5.6 million grants totaling $16.4 billion, an average award of $2,945, according to the U.S. Education Department.
He also successfully shepherded legislation, actively supported by President Lyndon Johnson, that created the National Endowment for the Arts and the National Endowment for the Humanities in 1965.
Pell told the New York Times in 1996 that while the program "has exceeded my wildest hopes," he regretted that it hadn't become an entitlement, like Social Security, that would be immune to annual budget battles.
Claiborne Pell was a senate Democrat who represented Rhode Island.�� In 1995 he announced that he had Parkinson's diseases, and retired from the senate in 1997, at the end of his sixth term.
Why Choose Widener University?
At Widener University, we proudly cultivate challenging and culturally diverse learning environments where academics, leadership, and service come first. Our curricula are connected to societal issues and challenge students to take social responsibility for their role in today's global society.
- Masters of Social Work
Located in the breathtaking Sonoran desert of southern Arizona and within an international border region, The University of Arizona is consistently ranked as a top public research university, offering graduate degrees in more than one hundred fields and is widely recognized for its cutting-edge research and innovation.
- Master of Public Health Online
Our Lady of the Lake University is a private, Catholic university with a deep connection to the history and community of San Antonio.
- Master of Social Work (MSW) Degree
Sacred Heart University Online
- Master of Science in Applied Psychology - Community Psychology
- Master of Science in Applied Psychology - Industrial Organizational Psychology
- Master of Science in Applied Psychology
For over 35 years, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals.
- PhD in Industrial and Organizational Psychology
- Master of Arts in Criminal Justice
- Master of Science in Nursing More...
Johns Hopkins University Carey Business School has brought the philosophy of business with humanity in mind to a part time format.
- Flexible MBA
- Flexible MBA - Entrepreneurship
- Flexible MBA - Management More...
Study online with University of Maryland at College Park.
- MBA - Information Systems & Business Analytics
- MBA - General
- MBA - Marketing More...
- Bachelor of Science in Respiratory Therapy
- Master of Science in Nursing - Womens Health Nurse Practitioner
- Master of Science in Criminal Justice More...
Purdue University offers a strong foundation of tradition and history.
- Master of Science in Communication
- Master of Science in Education in Special Education
- Master of Science in Hospitality and Tourism Management More...