Claiborne Pell, Senator Behind College Grants Dies
The Creator of the Pell grant, Claiborne Pell died this week at age 90. In 1972 he set out to create a federal scholarship and grant program based on financial need to help students go to college.�� This would become the largest program for federal college grants.
His most widely known legacy is the Pell Grant, which helps millions of American undergraduates pay for college each year. In 2008, the program was expected to distribute almost 5.6 million grants totaling $16.4 billion, an average award of $2,945, according to the U.S. Education Department.
He also successfully shepherded legislation, actively supported by President Lyndon Johnson, that created the National Endowment for the Arts and the National Endowment for the Humanities in 1965.
Pell told the New York Times in 1996 that while the program "has exceeded my wildest hopes," he regretted that it hadn't become an entitlement, like Social Security, that would be immune to annual budget battles.
Claiborne Pell was a senate Democrat who represented Rhode Island.�� In 1995 he announced that he had Parkinson's diseases, and retired from the senate in 1997, at the end of his sixth term.
- Business Administration (AS) (Online)
- Psychology (BA) (Online)
- Business Administration - Accounting (BS) (Online) More...
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (RN to BSN completion)
- Master of Science in Management - Healthcare Management
- Master of Science in Information Technology - Network Management More...
- Veterinary Assistant
- Certified Dog Trainer Instructor Course
- Grooming Instruction
You’ve expressed interest in Blue Cliff College before, now we have online programs to better fit your busy lifestyle. Enroll now!
- Health Information/Medical Billing & Coding
- Home Health Aide
- Security Guard
- Veterinary Assistant More...
You’re serious about success. With your busy schedule and the desire to move your career forward, you can earn an accredited associate, bachelors or master’s degree at a pace that works for you anywhere, anytime, 24/7.
At AIU, the Serious U, you can get started to get ahead.
- Master's (M.Ed.) - Leadership of Educational Organizations
- Bachelor of Accounting
- Bachelor's (BSCJ) - Law Enforcement More...
Liberty University provides a world-class education with a solid Christian foundation, equipping men and women with the values, knowledge, and skills essential for success in every aspect of life.
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Ministry: Evangelism & Church Planting
- M.Div: Homiletics More...
Established in 1897, Bradley University is a private, independent institution of higher learning in Peoria, Illinois. Inspired by our founder, notable philanthropist Lydia Moss Bradley, we pursue excellence in teaching, research, scholarship and service; and we celebrate leadership, integrity, diversity and collaborative learning.
- Online Doctor of Nursing Practice - Leadership Track (MSN to DNP)
- Online Master of Science in Nursing (BSN to MSN-FNP)
- Online Master of Arts in Counseling - Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CMHC) More...
The goal of earning a master’s degree should be defined by you, not by your circumstances. No matter which path you’ve chosen, a graduate degree can help you advance with your current organization, explore opportunities with a new company, or even start fresh in a new industry. When you earn your master's degree, you’re opening new opportunities for career development that can make a difference for you and your family. Through flexible class scheduling, dedicated career advisors and quality programs, NAU strives to provide a caring and supportive learning environment to ensure your success as a student.
- Master of Business Administration, Aviation Management
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Education
- Master of Science in Nursing - Care Coordination More...