Concordia University Blends Education With Technology for New Masters Program
The landscape of education is changing drastically -- where chalkboards and textbooks were once considered all you need, new technology has given way to innovations in the teaching method. One school, Concordia University's Chicago campus, is harnessing that landscape with an instructional technology degree that is appealing to teachers at every level of instruction.
Concordia University launched this new teaching degree last March, to help meet a growing demand among K-12 teachers in the Chicago area, and already it has grown beyond their wildest expectations. Drawing 11 enrollees in its first year, school officials hoped to raise that number up to 60 for this year. So far, 225 have enrolled already.
Of course, those enrollment numbers should come as little surprise: a class describing new uses for technology in the classroom is in extremely hot demand these days. "Teachers are looking for ways to use technology in the classroom," says Michael Sukowski, assistant professor at Concordia-Chicago and executive director of instructional design and technology. "The goal is to be a critical technology user: to know the technology available, know when to use it and know when it's best to use the chalkboard instead." With training in SMART boards, web conferencing, podcasts, blogs, and social media constructs such as Twitter and Facebook, this program definitely has the technology side of instruction covered.
Finding the time for a teaching course can be difficult when you have the busy schedule that comes with being a teacher yourself, which is why Concordia-Chicago designed this particular program as a "blended degree." Though some instruction will be taught in a physical classroom, online education is a major component as well. With those kinds of accommodations, one can assume that those enrollment numbers won't be declining anytime soon.
Work toward your graduate degree with New England College Online.
- Master of Science in Accounting - Forensic Accounting
- MS in Management/Project Management
- Master of Science in Accounting More...
About The University of Texas at Arlington
- M.Ed. In Curriculum and Instruction - Mathematics Education
- Master of Science in Nursing - Pediatric Acute Care Nurse Practitioner
- M.Ed. In Curriculum and Instruction - Science Education More...
- Veterinary Assistant
- Certified Dog Trainer Instructor Course
- Grooming Instruction
About University of North Carolina Wilmington
To meet today’s high demand for nursing professionals UNCW is offering an accredited Bachelor of Science in Nursing program completely online.
- MSN Nurse Educator
- RN to BSN
As home sales increase, you can be ready to launch a new career. Allied’s real estate programs provide the perfect way to start a professional career - one with unlimited opportunity! Put yourself at the forefront of the real estate field as a salesperson, broker or appraiser.
- California Real Estate License
- Virginia Real Estate License
- Nevada Real Estate License More...
Change the World with American University
Be a part of something bigger than yourself.
- Master of Science in Measurement & Evaluation
- Master of Science in Nutrition Education
- Master of Arts in Economics - Applied Economics More...
About Baylor University
Baylor is nationally-ranked as a research and academic institution by both U.S. News & World Report and Kiplinger’s.
- Master of Business Administration
Earn your graduate degree online with Northcentral University.
- International Business - D.B.A.
- Leadership in Higher Education - EdS
- MS Organizational Leadership - Nonprofit Management More...