Department of Education Study Cites Value of Distance Learning
On June 26th the U.S. Department of Education released a "meta-analysis" of online education, a study based on strict criteria that the Department established in order to derive accurate information.�� A meta-analysis looks at all available data on a topic and develops a broad overview.�� The report said that researchers had identified more than 1,000 empirical studies of online learning that had been done from 1996 through July of 2008.
The Department selected 51 studies that compared online education to a "face-to-face" situation [classroom], that measured student learning productivity using "a rigorous research design," and that provided adequate information to calculate the differences.�� In its summation, the Department report noted that it was the first such study to find characteristics for distance learning that are superior to the classroom experience.
Giving students control of their interactions has a positive effect on the learning experience, according to the study.�� While the findings are not an endorsement of one learning environment over the other, the report observes that "In many of the studies showing an advantage for online learning, the online and classroom conditions differed in terms of time spent, curriculum and��[teaching methods]."�� Online educational institutions have paved the way for what is now being recognized as an educational experience of extremely high quality.
Perhaps the most important fact that emerges from the DOE study is that "��online learning is much more conducive to the expansion of learning time than is face-to-face instruction." ��Students that opt for distance learning are more likely to put in the time and effort to maximize learning opportunities.�� A surprising element that emerges from the study is the fact that students are likely to spend more time collaborating with peers in a distance learning environment than those that attend a campus.
The U.S. Secretary of Education released a statement that notes, "This new report reinforces that effective teachers need to incorporate digital content into everyday classes and consider open-source learning management systems, which have proven cost effective in school districts and colleges nationwide."
At Animal Behavior College (ABC), we're dedicated to helping animal lovers pursue animal careers.
- Cat Training
- Veterinary Assistant
- Certified Dog Trainer Instructor Course More...
- Home Health Aide
- Security Guard
- Veterinary Assistant More...
Founded in 1766, Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, is a leading national public research university and the state’s preeminent, comprehensive public institution of higher learning.
- Online Master of Social Work
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- Legal Studies - Homeland Security (Master of Science) - Online
- Wellness Coaching (Master of Science) - Online
- Dual Concentration: Performance Enhancement, Wellness Coaching (Master of Science) - Online More...
- Master of Public Administration Online
- Master of Arts in International Relations Online
- Master of Civil Engineering Online More...
Change the World with American University
Be a part of something bigger than yourself.
- Master of Science in Measurement & Evaluation
- Master of Science in Nutrition Education
- Master of Arts in Economics - Applied Economics More...
An accredited online university, Capella University offers bachelor’s, master’s/MBA, doctoral, and certificate programs designed to take you to the forefront of your profession.
- DBA - Global Operations and Supply Chain Management (ACBSP-accredited)
- EdS - Teacher Leader in Digital Transformation
- MS - Addiction Studies More...
Baker College is proud to be the largest independent college in Michigan with the most focused approach to education and training available. With one of the highest graduate employment rates in the country, our mission is to help our students find meaningful employment.
- Elementary Mathematics - Additional Endorsement - Certificate
- Business Intelligence - MBA (Master's)
- Information Technology and Security - Bachelor More...
The goal of earning a master’s degree should be defined by you, not by your circumstances. No matter which path you’ve chosen, a graduate degree can help you advance with your current organization, explore opportunities with a new company, or even start fresh in a new industry. When you earn your master's degree, you’re opening new opportunities for career development that can make a difference for you and your family. Through flexible class scheduling, dedicated career advisors and quality programs, NAU strives to provide a caring and supportive learning environment to ensure your success as a student.
- Master of Business Administration, Aviation Management
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Education
- Master of Science in Nursing - Care Coordination More...