Department of Education Study Cites Value of Distance Learning
On June 26th the U.S. Department of Education released a "meta-analysis" of online education, a study based on strict criteria that the Department established in order to derive accurate information.�� A meta-analysis looks at all available data on a topic and develops a broad overview.�� The report said that researchers had identified more than 1,000 empirical studies of online learning that had been done from 1996 through July of 2008.
The Department selected 51 studies that compared online education to a "face-to-face" situation [classroom], that measured student learning productivity using "a rigorous research design," and that provided adequate information to calculate the differences.�� In its summation, the Department report noted that it was the first such study to find characteristics for distance learning that are superior to the classroom experience.
Giving students control of their interactions has a positive effect on the learning experience, according to the study.�� While the findings are not an endorsement of one learning environment over the other, the report observes that "In many of the studies showing an advantage for online learning, the online and classroom conditions differed in terms of time spent, curriculum and��[teaching methods]."�� Online educational institutions have paved the way for what is now being recognized as an educational experience of extremely high quality.
Perhaps the most important fact that emerges from the DOE study is that "��online learning is much more conducive to the expansion of learning time than is face-to-face instruction." ��Students that opt for distance learning are more likely to put in the time and effort to maximize learning opportunities.�� A surprising element that emerges from the study is the fact that students are likely to spend more time collaborating with peers in a distance learning environment than those that attend a campus.
The U.S. Secretary of Education released a statement that notes, "This new report reinforces that effective teachers need to incorporate digital content into everyday classes and consider open-source learning management systems, which have proven cost effective in school districts and colleges nationwide."
- Veterinary Assistant
- Certified Dog Trainer Instructor Course
- Grooming Instruction
About The University of Texas at Arlington
- M.Ed. In Curriculum and Instruction - Mathematics Education
- Master of Science in Nursing - Pediatric Acute Care Nurse Practitioner
- M.Ed. In Curriculum and Instruction - Science Education More...
About Boise State University
Boise State University is a highly respected, public, metropolitan research university offering lifelong learning.
- Master of Business Administration
Work toward your graduate degree with New England College Online.
- Master of Science in Accounting - Forensic Accounting
- MS in Management/Project Management
- Master of Science in Accounting More...
- Bachelor of Science in Respiratory Therapy
- Master of Science in Nursing - Womens Health Nurse Practitioner
- Master of Science in Criminal Justice More...
Wilkes University’s School of Nursing offers CCNE-accredited online degrees and certificate programs ideal for working health care professionals, instructed by experienced, respected faculty dedicated to mentoring and personalized support for every student.
- RN to BS
- RN to MS - Nursing Education
- RN to MS - Nursing Informatics More...
One of the world's leading private research institutions, the University of Southern California (USC) was founded in 1880.
- Online Master of Management in Library and Information Science - Urban Public Librarianship
- Online Master of Management in Library and Information Science - Academic Librarianship
- Master of Public Administration More...
Saint Mary's University of Minnesota's Online Master's Programs
At Saint Mary's, we take pride in offering online graduate degrees designed to complement the schedules of working adults like you. Get an affordable, convenient education from a top-ranked university that's grounded in real-world applications.
- Master of Arts in Special Education
- Master of Education in Learning Design and Technology
- Accelerated MBA - Environment Management, Sustainability More...