Distance Learning Widens Doors at BYU-Idaho
Historically, one of the biggest drawbacks of good colleges has been the small classes necessary to facilitate their quality -- the more a professor needs to stretch his or her personalized care and instruction, the more the class as a whole seems to suffer. This was the case at BYU-Idaho, with its nursing program only allowing for 32 candidates per semester.
But things are changing. Thanks to advancing technology, plus a promise made by the college to offer 20% of its classes online by 2012, BYU-Idaho is opening its doors a little wider to students participating in their classes via courses broadcast online.
In most classrooms the students you see are all you get, but not in Nursing 100 at BYU-Idaho.
In addition to the 42 students who attend the class, seven more join each session via the web.
"At first there's always a low murmur in the classroom," said Rexburg student Darren Ernst. "As time goes on we've gotten used to the interplay between the classrooms."
"It's like talking on the telephone only we have video to go with it," said Burley student Caitlin Johansen. The students see and hear everything that goes in the Rexburg classroom.
It may be a different way of experiencing a nursing program, but it is bringing huge opportunities to students who might otherwise have passed up a degree due to obligations or moving expenses. Once again, distance learning & online degrees is making it possible.
- Psychology (BA) (Online)
- Business Administration - Accounting (BS) (Online)
- Business Administration - Healthcare Management (BS) (Online) More...
- Veterinary Technology Alternate Route - Certificate
- Respiratory Therapy
- Veterinary Technology - Associates More...
An accredited online university, Capella University offers bachelor’s, master’s/MBA, doctoral, and certificate programs designed to take you to the forefront of your profession.
- MS - Addiction Studies
- MS - School Counseling (CACREP-accredited)
- MSN - RN-to-MSN Diabetes Nursing (CCNE-accredited) More...
Founded in 1766, Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, is a leading national public research university and the state’s preeminent, comprehensive public institution of higher learning.
- Online Master of Social Work
- Online Master of Information
- Online Bachelor of Science in Nursing
Hofstra University is a private institution whose primary mission is to provide a quality education to its students in an environment that encourages, nurtures and supports learning through the free and open exchange of ideas for the betterment of humankind.
- Online Master of Arts in Health Law and Policy
- Online Master of Laws in Health Law and Policy
Founded in 1872, Maryville University is a four-year, private university located in west St. Louis County.
- Online Bachelor of Science in Nursing to Doctor of Nursing Practice (BSN to DNP)-Adult-Gerontology Acute Care Nurse Practitioner (AGACNP)
- Online Master of Business Administration Supply Chain Management/Logistics Concentration
- Online Master of Science in Nursing-Family Nurse Practitioner (FNP) More...
The MSW@USC is the first top-ranked MSW program offered nationally. Many online programs are limited to certain geographic areas or the availability of courses, making it necessary to travel to campus. Our program can be completed from virtually anywhere without the need to relocate to Southern California.
- Doctor of Social Work
- Master of Social Work