FCC Names MMORPGs as Major Player in College Dropouts
Massively Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Game: they first came to social forefront as players neglected their real lives for the siren song of Everquest, and they haven't really gone away. In fact, to the contrary, they have only gained speed with even the more casual players as choice of games and playable options have increased. Millions play online every day (hence the "massively multiplayer" tag), and it can be more difficult for some than others to break away -- and for some otherwise bright young college students, this can come at a heavy cost.
"One of the top reasons for college drop-outs in the U.S. is online gaming addiction," according to FCC Commissioner Deborah Taylor Tate.
In a December 5 speech to the Practicing Law Institute, Tate singled out Blizzard Entertainment's World of Warcraft, and its 11 million players, as key evidence of her claim that widespread intent access has been a detriment to students, reports GamePolitics.
Though the Commissioner mentioned a 2006 study in parental approval of college internet usage in statement, she failed to name any specific statistics for correlation between dropouts and gameplay. Is she exaggerating in her claims? Perhaps, she may have a bone to pick with the video game industry. Still, it may be a study that deserves a closer look.
At Animal Behavior College (ABC), we're dedicated to helping animal lovers pursue animal careers.
- Cat Training
- Veterinary Assistant
- Certified Dog Trainer Instructor Course More...
- Online Associate Degree to Master Degree Nursing program
- Online Bachelor Degree to Master Degree Nursing program
- Master of Public Administration
Baker College is proud to be the largest independent college in Michigan with the most focused approach to education and training available. With one of the highest graduate employment rates in the country, our mission is to help our students find meaningful employment.
- Elementary Mathematics - Additional Endorsement - Certificate
- Business Intelligence - MBA (Master's)
- Information Technology and Security - Bachelor More...
Founded in 1766, Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, is a leading national public research university and the state’s preeminent, comprehensive public institution of higher learning.
- Online Master of Social Work
Liberty University provides a world-class education with a solid Christian foundation, equipping men and women with the values, knowledge, and skills essential for success in every aspect of life.
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Ministry: Evangelism & Church Planting
- M.Div: Homiletics More...
Concordia University - Portland offers several fully online 14-month Master of Education (M.Ed.) programs and a fully online Doctorate of Education (Ed.D.) program.
- M.Ed. in Curriculum & Instruction: Common Core State Standards Instructional Leader
- M.Ed. in Curriculum & Instruction: The Inclusive Classroom (SPED)
- Higher Education (EDD) More...
Saint Xavier University, Chicago’s oldest Catholic university, has a long history of educating students to prepare them for professional success and lay the foundation for personal fulfillment.
- MSN in Clinical Leadership
- MSN in Executive Leadership
- MS in Finance
An accredited online university, Capella University offers bachelor’s, master’s/MBA, doctoral, and certificate programs designed to take you to the forefront of your profession.
- DBA - Global Operations and Supply Chain Management (ACBSP-accredited)
- EdS - Teacher Leader in Digital Transformation
- MS - Addiction Studies More...
Join the community of thought leaders at University of the Rockies. Pursue your graduate degree from the University’s School of Professional Psychology or School of Organizational Leadership.
- MA in Public Sociology
- Doctor of Psychology, Mediation & Conflict Resolution
- Doctor of Philosophy, Organizational Development and Leadership More...