Federal Grant for Rural Nursing Ed in Virginia
The University of Virginia Nursing School has received a $1.2 million grant for the purpose of preparing local and commuter graduate students to specialize in rural health care. The program will use both classroom teaching and online courses open to both full-time and part-time students of the University's Graduate Nursing program.
Catherine Kane, the Nursing School's distance learning coordinator told school newspaper The Daily Cavalier that ""The grant funds will improve our electronic distance capacity and make it possible for nurses in rural areas to study the same curriculum as local students without the commute."
The grant application was written by six faculty members, who see online education as a recruiting tool, with the goal of bringing nurses from rural areas into the program. Nursing school director Doris Glick said, "The graduate nursing programs not only recruit students from the baccalaureate program but also from across the state. A central goal, therefore, is to use the grant money to increase enrollment of both on-grounds and commuter students through more frequent and widespread recruiting.
The nursing school currently offers both a public health leadership degree and health systems management degree utilizing their online technology. Both are nursing administration degrees that tend to draw rural nurses to larger institutions and away from the rural areas where they are needed.
Virginia suffers from a nursing shortage as do virtually all states, and they also have difficulty keeping qualified medical personnel working in rural areas. Nurses in the graduate program are generally there with the goal of moving into management. Data shows that nurses educated close to home are more likely to stay and work in their local communities after receiving an advanced degree, Glick said.
A portion of the grant will be used to develop a distance learning program for the graduate program in psychiatric mental health. Project co-director Pamela Kulbok added explained that nursing shortages are cyclical and, when they do occur, rural areas are hit the hardest. Care for people with mental illnesses in rural areas is especially inadequate because of a lack of appropriately educated clinicians, Kane said.
- Veterinary Assistant
- Grooming Instruction
- Certified Dog Trainer Instructor Course
- Veterinary Technology - Associates
- Respiratory Therapy
- Healthcare Management More...
The goal of earning a master’s degree should be defined by you, not by your circumstances. No matter which path you’ve chosen, a graduate degree can help you advance with your current organization, explore opportunities with a new company, or even start fresh in a new industry. When you earn your master's degree, you’re opening new opportunities for career development that can make a difference for you and your family. Through flexible class scheduling, dedicated career advisors and quality programs, NAU strives to provide a caring and supportive learning environment to ensure your success as a student.
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Administration
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Education
- Master of Management More...
For over 35 years, Keiser University has provided student-centered, quality career education. Keiser University Online offers degree programs online to prepare students for in-demand professions.
- Associate of Science in Medical Assisting Science
- Bachelor of Arts in Criminal Justice
- Associate of Science in Information Technology More...
One of the world's leading private research institutions, the University of Southern California (USC) was founded in 1880.
- Online Master of Science in Applied Psychology
- Online Master of Management in Library and Information Science - Urban Public Librarianship
- Online Master of Management in Library and Information Science - Academic Librarianship More...
Earn your graduate degree online with Northcentral University.
- Accelerated Leadership in Higher Education - MEd
- MBA - Building Creativity
- Project Management - BBA More...
Abilene Christian University is a national leader in Christian higher education and a place where students, faculty, staff and alumni make a real difference in the world.
- Master of Marriage and Family Therapy
- Master of Business Administration - Nonprofit Leadership
- Master of Business Administration - Operations and Supply Chain Management More...
- Preliminary Education Specialist Credential
- M.A. Education with Preliminary Multiple Subject Teaching Credential
- B.A. Human Development More...