Federal Grant for Rural Nursing Ed in Virginia
The University of Virginia Nursing School has received a $1.2 million grant for the purpose of preparing local and commuter graduate students to specialize in rural health care. The program will use both classroom teaching and online courses open to both full-time and part-time students of the University's Graduate Nursing program.
Catherine Kane, the Nursing School's distance learning coordinator told school newspaper The Daily Cavalier that ""The grant funds will improve our electronic distance capacity and make it possible for nurses in rural areas to study the same curriculum as local students without the commute."
The grant application was written by six faculty members, who see online education as a recruiting tool, with the goal of bringing nurses from rural areas into the program. Nursing school director Doris Glick said, "The graduate nursing programs not only recruit students from the baccalaureate program but also from across the state. A central goal, therefore, is to use the grant money to increase enrollment of both on-grounds and commuter students through more frequent and widespread recruiting.
The nursing school currently offers both a public health leadership degree and health systems management degree utilizing their online technology. Both are nursing administration degrees that tend to draw rural nurses to larger institutions and away from the rural areas where they are needed.
Virginia suffers from a nursing shortage as do virtually all states, and they also have difficulty keeping qualified medical personnel working in rural areas. Nurses in the graduate program are generally there with the goal of moving into management. Data shows that nurses educated close to home are more likely to stay and work in their local communities after receiving an advanced degree, Glick said.
A portion of the grant will be used to develop a distance learning program for the graduate program in psychiatric mental health. Project co-director Pamela Kulbok added explained that nursing shortages are cyclical and, when they do occur, rural areas are hit the hardest. Care for people with mental illnesses in rural areas is especially inadequate because of a lack of appropriately educated clinicians, Kane said.
Capella provides a flexible online learning environment designed for working adults who want to advance in their profession.
- DBA - Leadership
- PhD - Information Technology General
- MS - Social and Community Services More...
Try your first two online courses for only $200 each with our Start Smart (SM) Offer.
- Master of Science in Accounting
- Bachelor of Science in Business / Minor in Informatics
- Bachelor of Science in Business Administration More...
Kaplan University is focused on recognizing the achievements of military and veteran students and offers the flexibility of an online education.
- BS in Early Childhood Development
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
- AAS in Business Administration - Small Business Management More...
Welcome to Southeastern University — your Christ-centered partner in higher education. Whether online or in the classroom, students enrolled in a degree program at Southeastern University will benefit from a faith-based education while immersed in a student-focused learning community.
- Bachelor of Science in Criminal Justice
- Master of Business Administration - Missional Leadership Concentration
- Master of Arts in Human Services - Emergency Management Specialization More...
Pursue your education online with The College Network.
- LPN/LVN to RN - AS in Nursing (Licensed LPN/LVNs only)
- LPN/LVN to RN - BS in Nursing - Indiana St. - (Licensed LPN/LVNs only)
Earn your degree online with Grand Canyon University. We offer approximately 100 bachelor's, master's, and doctoral degree programs in a variety of fields that can be completed 100% online.
- M.Ed. in Elementary Education (Leads to initial teacher licensure)
- M.S. in Nursing: Nursing Leadership in Health Care Systems
- M.Ed. in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL) (Does not lead to initial teacher licensure) More...
One of the world's leading private research institutions, the University of Southern California (USC) was founded in 1880.
- Online Master of Science in Applied Psychology
- Master of Management in Library and Information Science - Urban Public Librarianship
- Master of Management in Library and Information Science -Academic Librarianship More...
With more than 300 online and residential areas of study, Liberty offers programs from the certificate to doctoral level.
- Master of Arts in Pastoral Counseling
- M.Div: Leadership
- MA Theological Studies: Theology More...
- Veterinary Assistant
- Grooming Instruction
- Certified Dog Trainer Instructor Course