Federal Grant for Rural Nursing Ed in Virginia
The University of Virginia Nursing School has received a $1.2 million grant for the purpose of preparing local and commuter graduate students to specialize in rural health care. The program will use both classroom teaching and online courses open to both full-time and part-time students of the University's Graduate Nursing program.
Catherine Kane, the Nursing School's distance learning coordinator told school newspaper The Daily Cavalier that ""The grant funds will improve our electronic distance capacity and make it possible for nurses in rural areas to study the same curriculum as local students without the commute."
The grant application was written by six faculty members, who see online education as a recruiting tool, with the goal of bringing nurses from rural areas into the program. Nursing school director Doris Glick said, "The graduate nursing programs not only recruit students from the baccalaureate program but also from across the state. A central goal, therefore, is to use the grant money to increase enrollment of both on-grounds and commuter students through more frequent and widespread recruiting.
The nursing school currently offers both a public health leadership degree and health systems management degree utilizing their online technology. Both are nursing administration degrees that tend to draw rural nurses to larger institutions and away from the rural areas where they are needed.
Virginia suffers from a nursing shortage as do virtually all states, and they also have difficulty keeping qualified medical personnel working in rural areas. Nurses in the graduate program are generally there with the goal of moving into management. Data shows that nurses educated close to home are more likely to stay and work in their local communities after receiving an advanced degree, Glick said.
A portion of the grant will be used to develop a distance learning program for the graduate program in psychiatric mental health. Project co-director Pamela Kulbok added explained that nursing shortages are cyclical and, when they do occur, rural areas are hit the hardest. Care for people with mental illnesses in rural areas is especially inadequate because of a lack of appropriately educated clinicians, Kane said.
- Veterinary Technology Alternate Route - Certificate
- Respiratory Therapy
- Veterinary Technology - Associates More...
The MSW@USC is the first top-ranked MSW program offered nationally. Many online programs are limited to certain geographic areas or the availability of courses, making it necessary to travel to campus. Our program can be completed from virtually anywhere without the need to relocate to Southern California.
- Doctor of Social Work
- Master of Social Work
For over 35 years, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals.
- PhD in Industrial and Organizational Psychology
- Master of Arts in Criminal Justice
- Master of Science in Nursing More...
Join the community of thought leaders at University of the Rockies. Pursue your graduate degree from the University’s School of Professional Psychology or School of Organizational Leadership.
- MA in Public Sociology
- Doctor of Psychology, Mediation & Conflict Resolution
- Doctor of Philosophy, Organizational Development and Leadership More...
Founded in 1766, Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, is a leading national public research university and the state’s preeminent, comprehensive public institution of higher learning.
- Online Master of Social Work
- Master of Public Administration Online
- Master of Arts in International Relations Online
- Master of Civil Engineering Online More...
Change the World with American University
Be a part of something bigger than yourself.
- Master of Science in Measurement & Evaluation
- Master of Science in Nutrition Education
- Master of Arts in Economics - Applied Economics More...
An accredited online university, Capella University offers bachelor’s, master’s/MBA, doctoral, and certificate programs designed to take you to the forefront of your profession.
- DBA - Global Operations and Supply Chain Management (ACBSP-accredited)
- EdS - Teacher Leader in Digital Transformation
- MS - Addiction Studies More...
Grow Your Career with the University of Saint Mary
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nurse Educator
- Masters of Business Administration - Enterprise Risk Management
- Masters of Business Administration - Marketing and Advertising More...
- Associate of Arts in Business - Business Management
- Bachelor of Arts in Business - Organizational Leadership
- Master of Arts in Ministry - Practical Theology More...