Federal Grant for Rural Nursing Ed in Virginia
The University of Virginia Nursing School has received a $1.2 million grant for the purpose of preparing local and commuter graduate students to specialize in rural health care. The program will use both classroom teaching and online courses open to both full-time and part-time students of the University's Graduate Nursing program.
Catherine Kane, the Nursing School's distance learning coordinator told school newspaper The Daily Cavalier that ""The grant funds will improve our electronic distance capacity and make it possible for nurses in rural areas to study the same curriculum as local students without the commute."
The grant application was written by six faculty members, who see online education as a recruiting tool, with the goal of bringing nurses from rural areas into the program. Nursing school director Doris Glick said, "The graduate nursing programs not only recruit students from the baccalaureate program but also from across the state. A central goal, therefore, is to use the grant money to increase enrollment of both on-grounds and commuter students through more frequent and widespread recruiting.
The nursing school currently offers both a public health leadership degree and health systems management degree utilizing their online technology. Both are nursing administration degrees that tend to draw rural nurses to larger institutions and away from the rural areas where they are needed.
Virginia suffers from a nursing shortage as do virtually all states, and they also have difficulty keeping qualified medical personnel working in rural areas. Nurses in the graduate program are generally there with the goal of moving into management. Data shows that nurses educated close to home are more likely to stay and work in their local communities after receiving an advanced degree, Glick said.
A portion of the grant will be used to develop a distance learning program for the graduate program in psychiatric mental health. Project co-director Pamela Kulbok added explained that nursing shortages are cyclical and, when they do occur, rural areas are hit the hardest. Care for people with mental illnesses in rural areas is especially inadequate because of a lack of appropriately educated clinicians, Kane said.
Capella provides a flexible online learning environment designed for working adults who want to advance in their profession.
- DBA - Leadership
- PhD - Information Technology General
- MS - Social and Community Services More...
At Fortis Institute, you may get the skills and training you need to prepare for a career.
* Programs vary by location
* Please contact each individual campus for accreditation information
Please call on 844-252-4552 to talk to a respresentative.
- Internet Marketing
- Business Management - Accounting
- Medical Billing and Coding Online More...
Drexel University is a major research institution located in the heart of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania — America’s fifth largest city. Drexel offers comprehensive, integrated academics and world-class faculty. Our students immerse themselves in their fields of study by participating in real research and co-operative education.
- Certificate in Integrated Nursing Care of Autism Spectrum Disorders
- Post-Master's Archival Studies Specialist Program
- MS in Information Systems More...
At University of Phoenix, we believe everyone deserves access to higher education.
University of Phoenix is accredited by The Higher Learning Commission and is a member of the North Central Association. University of Phoenix was placed on Notice by The Higher Learning Commission, effective June 27, 2013. For additional information, contact The Higher Learning Commission, ncahlc.org.
- Master of Science in Nursing/Nurse Education
- B.S. in Environmental Science
- Doctor of Education/Educational Leadership More...
Technology changes everything®
You’ve found Ashford University, where school comes to you
- BA/Sports and Recreation Management - Project Management
- Master of Public Administration
- BA/Public Relations and Marketing - Project Management More...
Founded in 1959, California Lutheran University's dedicated, accomplished faculty works with small classes of students who are open-minded—and are seeking to grow as individuals.
- Master of Public Policy and Administration (MPPA)
- Doctorate of Education (Ed.D.) in Higher Education Leadership
- Master?s of Education (M.Ed.) in Teacher Leadership More...
University of Valley Forge was founded in 1939 and is part of an international network of Assemblies of God colleges and universities.
- Masters of Organizational Leadership
- BS in Psychology
- BS Business Administration More...