France Prepares For Swine Flu Emergency With Online Education
The swine flu has reached epidemic proportions in the U.S. this year, with 43,771 confirmed and probable cases since April, but we are not alone. Swine flu has gone worldwide, and European countries like France have seen their fair share of the outbreak already. In an effort to contain further spread of the virus, the French government is preparing for the possibility of shutting down all schools in the country -- but they aren't without a plan. Rather than allow schoolchildren to languish in quarantine without their proper schooling, France is instead turning to modern technology and online education.
According to Financial Times, French education minister Luc Chatel stated that, "in the event of a 'total pandemic' he was ready to order a total shutdown of all schools in France, during which time lessons for pupils aged between six and 17 would be broadcast on public television and radio and posted on the internet." It's a drastic plan, and only one option at the moment (by no means a certainty). Still, it's an option that France is more than willing to take if necessary, especially given a recent study which suggested that "a prolonged closure of schools early on in an outbreak could prevent the spread of the disease and ease the burden on hospitals."
There are, of course, other concerns to be addressed -- economic factors are the biggest concern, as parents are forced to put off work in favor of staying home with their children for those extra weeks (and especially the strain for those parents who are also health care workers). That said, utilizing methods of distance learning is an ingenious approach to one facet of a difficult situation. Over the next couple of weeks, only time and the general state of French health will tell whether this plan will go into effect, but Chatel has made it clear that it's on the playbooks should worst come to worst: "We are preparing for all eventualities," he said. "We must neither play [the epidemic] down nor dramatise it. There is no question of dropping our guard."
- Business Administration (AS) (Online)
- Psychology (BA) (Online)
- Business Administration - Accounting (BS) (Online) More...
- Veterinary Technology Alternate Route - Certificate
- Respiratory Therapy
- Veterinary Technology - Associates More...
An accredited online university, Capella University offers bachelor’s, master’s/MBA, doctoral, and certificate programs designed to take you to the forefront of your profession.
- DBA - Global Operations and Supply Chain Management (ACBSP-accredited)
- EdS - Teacher Leader in Digital Transformation
- MS - Addiction Studies More...
The MSW@USC is the first top-ranked MSW program offered nationally. Many online programs are limited to certain geographic areas or the availability of courses, making it necessary to travel to campus. Our program can be completed from virtually anywhere without the need to relocate to Southern California.
- Doctor of Social Work
- Master of Social Work
- Master of Public Administration Online
- Master of Arts in International Relations Online
- Master of Civil Engineering Online More...
Change the World with American University
Be a part of something bigger than yourself.
- Master of Science in Measurement & Evaluation
- Master of Science in Nutrition Education
- Master of Arts in Economics - Applied Economics More...
Founded in 1766, Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, is a leading national public research university and the state’s preeminent, comprehensive public institution of higher learning.
- Online Master of Social Work
Concordia University - Portland offers several fully online 14-month Master of Education (M.Ed.) programs and a fully online Doctorate of Education (Ed.D.) program.
- M.Ed. in Curriculum & Instruction: Common Core State Standards Instructional Leader
- M.Ed. in Curriculum & Instruction: The Inclusive Classroom (SPED)
- Higher Education (EDD) More...
Since 1888, The University of Scranton has grounded its education in Catholic and Jesuit principles based on intellectual growth and integrity, all of which shape the online master’s and certificate programs.
- Online General MBA
- Online MBA specialization in Operations Management
- Online Master of Accountancy More...