Kansas City Teen Wins "Best Teen Chef" Title and Full Ride Scholarship
A success story is always heartwarming, and a success story against difficult odds is even more so. It's in that spirit that 19-year-old Sammy Jo Claussen overcame disadvantage to blow the competition out of the water and win the title of "Best Teen Chef," plus a coveted full-ride scholarship to Art Institute at Kansas City.
How did it happen? As Kansas City.com reports, for a long time it didn't seem likely: "During the last few years at Shawnee Mission North High School, Sammy Jo Claussen wasn't exactly on the 'winner' track. Dyslexic and bipolar with anger issues and attention deficit disorder, the temperamental teen kept to herself. Able to read at only a fourth-grade level, she was teased by classmates and dismissed as dumb... The writing seemed to be on the wall." There was a part of her, however, that hardly anyone had yet seen -- and it's a part that can't be easily dismissed.
It's the part of her that drew from "15 years of hands-on experience" learning to cook from her grandmother and encouragement from teachers at the trade school she was attending part time. It's the part of her that braved the competition with a broken wrist, where many would have dropped out. And it's the part of her that beat out hundreds of other teenagers from across the country for a title and a $90,000 scholarship prize to pursue a culinary arts degree. It isn't a prize that Claussen takes lightly, either. She told Kansas City.com. "When you come here, you want to pay attention to everything and make sure you're listening and getting good grades." It isn't a contest she won easily, but she dominated the competition and is prepared to do the same in the culinary world.
About Baylor University
Baylor is nationally-ranked as a research and academic institution by both U.S. News & World Report and Kiplinger’s.
- Master of Business Administration
Congratulations! Your interest in Independence University is an important first step toward changing your life. A career-focused degree is the key to a career with a potentially higher income, better benefits, and more satisfaction.
- Business Administration (BS)
- Business Management & Accounting (AAS)
- Accounting - Forensic Accounting (BS) More...
The University of North Florida is a nationally ranked university that offers a well-rounded education to students determined to make their mark and change the lives of others as well as their own.
- Doctor of Nursing Practice
- RN to BSN
One of the world's leading private research institutions, the University of Southern California (USC) was founded in 1880.
- Online Master of Management in Library and Information Science - Urban Public Librarianship
- Online Master of Management in Library and Information Science - Academic Librarianship
- Master of Public Administration More...
As home sales increase, you can be ready to launch a new career. Allied’s real estate programs provide the perfect way to start a professional career - one with unlimited opportunity! Put yourself at the forefront of the real estate field as a salesperson, broker or appraiser.
- California Real Estate License
- Virginia Real Estate License
- Nevada Real Estate License More...
Change the World with American University
Be a part of something bigger than yourself.
- Master of Science in Measurement & Evaluation
- Master of Science in Nutrition Education
- Master of Arts in Economics - Applied Economics More...
Building on an innovative 25-year history, California State University San Marcos is a forward-focused institution, dedicated to preparing future leaders, building great communities and solving critical issues. Located on a 304-acre hillside overlooking the city of San Marcos, the University is just a short distance from some of Southern California’s best beaches and an hour from the US-Mexico border. CSUSM enrollment is over 15,000 and the university is fully accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges.
- Master of Arts in Education, Educational Administration
- RN to MSN - Clinical Nurse Leader
- Master of Arts in Education, Literacy More...
Join the community of thought leaders at University of the Rockies. Pursue your graduate degree from the University’s School of Professional Psychology or School of Organizational Leadership.
- MA in Public Sociology
- Doctor of Psychology, Mediation & Conflict Resolution
- Doctor of Philosophy, Organizational Development and Leadership More...