Michigan State to Close Academic Departments
Michigan State University (MSU) has completed cutting the fat from its budget and is now cutting into the bone. In the wake of vastly reduced state funding, a grim fact that virtually all public universities are facing, MSU has announced tentative plans to axe not only degree programs but entire departments. The protests are underway.
Despite the call for an educational structure to support the sustainability movement, MSU intends to close six of the thirteen departments in the College of Agriculture and Natural Resources. Among them would be the Earth Sciences Department, the school's focal point for environmental and green degrees. The Department of Communicative Sciences and Disorders would also be shut down, a small but significant research and teaching division for audiology and the role of communication in child psychology.
A lot of students in graduate programs were in shock over the potential vaporization of their field of study. As an example there is a graduate program in American Studies slated for elimination, but MSU won't close down some of these programs immediately because of their obligation to currently enrolled students. The substantial budget savings are two to three years out.
Given all of the debate about the current cost of public universities, where the average annual tuition is over $7,000, the option of online education continues to make more sense. When you add up the cost of living near school and having limited employment options, the debts that emerging graduates are asked to shoulder seem unrealistic.
Additional casualties in MSU's current plan are the veterinary technologist program, a field that has become a mainstream option for many community college students and now, an option at the four year degree level. There are also six hundred staff jobs that will be eliminated; the future of tenured professors in these departments has yet to be explained.
- Business Administration (AS) (Online)
- Psychology (BA) (Online)
- Business Administration - Accounting (BS) (Online) More...
At Animal Behavior College (ABC), we're dedicated to helping animal lovers pursue animal careers.
- Cat Training
- Veterinary Assistant
- Certified Dog Trainer Instructor Course More...
Founded in 1766, Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, is a leading national public research university and the state’s preeminent, comprehensive public institution of higher learning.
- Online Master of Social Work
An accredited online university, Capella University offers bachelor’s, master’s/MBA, doctoral, and certificate programs designed to take you to the forefront of your profession.
- DBA - Global Operations and Supply Chain Management (ACBSP-accredited)
- EdS - Teacher Leader in Digital Transformation
- MS - Addiction Studies More...
Change the World with American University
Be a part of something bigger than yourself.
- Master of Science in Measurement & Evaluation
- Master of Science in Nutrition Education
- Master of Arts in Economics - Applied Economics More...
Founded in 1872, Maryville University is a four-year, private university located in west St. Louis County.
- Online Bachelor of Science in Nursing to Doctor of Nursing Practice (BSN to DNP)-Adult-Gerontology Acute Care Nurse Practitioner (AGACNP)
- Online Master of Business Administration Supply Chain Management/Logistics Concentration
- Online Master of Science in Nursing-Family Nurse Practitioner (FNP) More...
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- Legal Studies - Homeland Security (Master of Science) - Online
- Wellness Coaching (Master of Science) - Online
- Dual Concentration: Performance Enhancement, Wellness Coaching (Master of Science) - Online More...
Congratulations! Your interest in Independence University is an important first step toward changing your life. A career-focused degree is the key to a career with a potentially higher income, better benefits, and more satisfaction.
- Business Administration (BS)
- Business Administration - Human Resources (BS)
- Business Management & Accounting (AAS) More...
Earn your graduate degree online with Northcentral University.
- International Business - D.B.A.
- Leadership in Higher Education - EdS
- MS Organizational Leadership - Nonprofit Management More...
- Online Associate Degree to Master Degree Nursing program
- Online Bachelor Degree to Master Degree Nursing program
- Master of Public Administration