Midwestern College Program Introduces More Children to College Life
Earlier this week we reported on the KinderCaminata event hosted by Orange County's community college district. It seems that such events are not contained to the west coast, because this week also saw Newark's Central Ohio Technical College opening its doors to children as part of its first extended-session CollegeASPIRE program.
[Caroline Metzler] and her 15 classmates have been meeting with Central Ohio Technical College representatives for the past month as part of CollegeASPIRE, which seeks to give younger students a sample of college. This spring's theme has been studying cultural diversity, and students have been able to try foods from different cultures as part of it.
"We want children to know that opportunities are out there for higher education," said Tara Houdeshell, COTC gateway community access coordinator.
The article reports that the program was offered before in the summer, but this is its first foray into activities during the school year. The program is open to fifth-graders, and this year has been focusing on multiculturalism, engaging students in everything from book discussions regarding race issues to sampling foods from various ethnic origins. For field trips, students leap from Amish Country to Cincinnati's Freedom Center.
The goal, of course, is to get kids interested in college and to understand the options they have available to them in the future -- and the program is even having some unexpected positive side effects. In one reported instance, the mother of a child in the program has gone back to school.
Hunter's mother, Amber Mulpas, also is starting to take college classes.
"It makes a good example," she said. "Eventually, (he'll) know that it's not too late (to go to school).
With this kind of positive influence, hope for the future seems bright.
Purdue University offers a strong foundation of tradition and history.
- Master of Science in Communication
- Master of Science in Education in Special Education
- Master of Science in Hospitality and Tourism Management More...
One of the world's leading private research institutions, the University of Southern California (USC) was founded in 1880.
- Online Master of Management in Library and Information Science - Urban Public Librarianship
- Online Master of Management in Library and Information Science - Academic Librarianship
- Master of Public Administration More...
Our Lady of the Lake University is a private, Catholic university with a deep connection to the history and community of San Antonio.
- Master of Social Work (MSW) Degree
- B.A. Early Childhood Education
- B.A. Early Childhood Education with Dual Credential
- M.A. Education with Preliminary Education Specialist Instruction Credential More...
Colorado State University-Global Campus
Colorado State University-Global Campus (CSU-Global) recently received state approval to enroll students with little to no prior college experience. To help ensure student success, the university has created a program especially for these students who plan on starting their college experience for the first time with us.
- Master - Professional Accounting
- MS - Teaching and Learning
- Master - Information Technology Management More...
The University of California, Riverside
Transforming Engineers into Leaders
If you’re seeking to elevate your technical expertise and take on leadership roles in today’s global workplace, the UC Riverside online Master of Science in Engineering can deliver the highly calibrated balance of scientific and business knowledge to help you reach your goals.
- M.S. in Engineering, Materials at the Nanoscale Specialization
- M.S. in Engineering, Data Science Specialization
- M.S. in Engineering, Electrical Engineering (Power Systems) Specialization More...
- Bachelor of Science in Respiratory Therapy
- Master of Science in Nursing - Womens Health Nurse Practitioner
- Master of Science in Criminal Justice More...
Established in 1897, Bradley University is a private, independent institution of higher learning in Peoria, Illinois. Inspired by our founder, notable philanthropist Lydia Moss Bradley, we pursue excellence in teaching, research, scholarship and service; and we celebrate leadership, integrity, diversity and collaborative learning.
- Online Doctor of Nursing Practice - Leadership Track (MSN to DNP)
- Online Master of Science in Nursing (BSN to MSN-FNP)
- Online Master of Arts in Counseling - Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CMHC) More...