Midwestern College Program Introduces More Children to College Life
Earlier this week we reported on the KinderCaminata event hosted by Orange County's community college district. It seems that such events are not contained to the west coast, because this week also saw Newark's Central Ohio Technical College opening its doors to children as part of its first extended-session CollegeASPIRE program.
[Caroline Metzler] and her 15 classmates have been meeting with Central Ohio Technical College representatives for the past month as part of CollegeASPIRE, which seeks to give younger students a sample of college. This spring's theme has been studying cultural diversity, and students have been able to try foods from different cultures as part of it.
"We want children to know that opportunities are out there for higher education," said Tara Houdeshell, COTC gateway community access coordinator.
The article reports that the program was offered before in the summer, but this is its first foray into activities during the school year. The program is open to fifth-graders, and this year has been focusing on multiculturalism, engaging students in everything from book discussions regarding race issues to sampling foods from various ethnic origins. For field trips, students leap from Amish Country to Cincinnati's Freedom Center.
The goal, of course, is to get kids interested in college and to understand the options they have available to them in the future -- and the program is even having some unexpected positive side effects. In one reported instance, the mother of a child in the program has gone back to school.
Hunter's mother, Amber Mulpas, also is starting to take college classes.
"It makes a good example," she said. "Eventually, (he'll) know that it's not too late (to go to school).
With this kind of positive influence, hope for the future seems bright.
- Business Administration (AS) (Online)
- Psychology (BA) (Online)
- Business Administration - Accounting (BS) (Online) More...
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (RN to BSN completion)
- Master of Science in Management - Healthcare Management
- Master of Science in Information Technology - Network Management More...
- Veterinary Assistant
- Certified Dog Trainer Instructor Course
- Grooming Instruction
- Home Health Aide
- Security Guard
- Veterinary Assistant More...
Purdue University offers a strong foundation of tradition and history.
- Master of Science in Communication
- Master of Science in Education in Special Education
- Master of Science in Hospitality and Tourism Management More...
Liberty University provides a world-class education with a solid Christian foundation, equipping men and women with the values, knowledge, and skills essential for success in every aspect of life.
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Ministry: Evangelism & Church Planting
- M.Div: Homiletics More...
A Rutgers business education prepares students for success – not just in their chosen fields but also in their lives.
- Online MS in Supply Chain Management
- Master of Governmental Accounting (Online)
Congratulations! Your interest in Independence University is an important first step toward changing your life. A career-focused degree is the key to a career with a potentially higher income, better benefits, and more satisfaction.
- Business Administration - Human Resources (BS)
- Business Management & Accounting (AAS)
- Business Administration - New Media Marketing (BS) More...
Earn your graduate degree online with Northcentral University.
- International Business - D.B.A.
- Leadership in Higher Education - EdS
- MS Organizational Leadership - Nonprofit Management More...