Minnesota Dept. of Education Unveils Distance Learning Website
Officials from Michigan's Department of Education, state universities and other institutions joined together yesterday to announce the development of a state online learning resource, Minnesota Learning Commons. It is a well organized, comprehensive site organized around distance learning opportunities in the state and what they represent for students, educators, parents and advisors.
The web site is beautifully designed, presenting large amounts of information in such a fashion that it seems simple to access and rewarding to view. For the most part the site focuses on education and career development, but there are some pages that will direct the viewer to other state services pages. On its presentation page the viewer can click through a series of slides that provide information in such categories as career research, the Minnesota Virtual Library, Rural Health, Public Schools, Minnesota Online, a Teaching Center, the University of Minnesota Online, and so forth.
On the iSeek page the viewer can explore career options, job listings and a database of 250 schools in the state. The schools include all of Minnesota's public universities, community colleges and vocational schools, as well as private colleges, for-profit colleges and accredited online institutions.
A unique feature on this page allows for comparative searches among the schools in the database. You can select three schools for comparison and then select a degree option that will then provide a display of the relevant programs at each school. A search for online information technology degrees turned up six degree options at Capella University, five degrees at the University of Minnesota in Rochester, and thirteen at the Minnesota State Community and Technical College - Virtual. This last school is focused on certificate and associate's degrees for job training purposes. Among the options there are a program for Cisco certification training and three levels of study for Web Development.
It's a well designed site with several unique features that extend beyond the ability to compare schools. There is a section with special software for resume and "folio" development, and a section devoted to K-12 online learning in Minnesota. While there are other states that are working toward an organized presentation of distance learning options, at the moment the Minnesota site is the state of the art.
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (RN to BSN completion)
- Master of Science in Management - Healthcare Management
- Master of Science in Information Technology - Network Management More...
- Veterinary Assistant
- Certified Dog Trainer Instructor Course
- Grooming Instruction
An accredited online university, Capella University offers bachelor’s, master’s/MBA, doctoral, and certificate programs designed to take you to the forefront of your profession.
- DBA - Global Operations and Supply Chain Management (ACBSP-accredited)
- EdS - Teacher Leader in Digital Transformation
- MS - Addiction Studies More...
Join the community of thought leaders at University of the Rockies. Pursue your graduate degree from the University’s School of Professional Psychology or School of Organizational Leadership.
- MA in Public Sociology
- Doctor of Psychology, Mediation & Conflict Resolution
- Doctor of Philosophy, Organizational Development and Leadership More...
See What’s Possible When You Earn a Degree at Florida Tech 100% Online
- Bachelor of Arts in Applied Psychology/Forensic Psychology
- Master of Science in Information Technology
- Bachelor of Arts in Accounting More...
You’re serious about success. With your busy schedule and the desire to move your career forward, you can earn an accredited associate, bachelors or master’s degree at a pace that works for you anywhere, anytime, 24/7.
At AIU, the Serious U, you can get started to get ahead.
- Master's (M.Ed.) - Leadership of Educational Organizations
- Bachelor of Accounting
- Bachelor's (BSCJ) - Law Enforcement More...
Concordia University - Portland offers several fully online 14-month Master of Education (M.Ed.) programs and a fully online Doctorate of Education (Ed.D.) program.
- M.Ed. in Curriculum and Instruction Equity, Ethics, and Justice
- M.Ed. in Curriculum & Instruction: Common Core State Standards Instructional Leader
- M.Ed. in Curriculum & Instruction: The Inclusive Classroom (SPED) More...
- Master of Science in Healthcare Informatics