Mount St. Mary's College Outreach Program Makes Difference
Applying to college can be a daunting process, one that would be much more helpful if there was someone there to guide you through it. Mount St. Mary is providing just such a service to students in the Los Angeles area with its student ambassadors program, providing college outreach to high school students who might otherwise have fallen through the cracks.
The college's outreach program, launched in 1991, works to encourage students in the greater Los Angeles area to complete high school and aspire to attend college.
The program is an attempt to combat a troubling reality in the county's school system.
For the 2006-07 academic year, the most recent year for which data is available, L.A. County reported a high school graduation rate of 76.1%, even lower than the statewide figure of 80.6%, according to the state Department of Education.
But the Mount St. Mary's ambassadors, who number 46 this year, dedicate hours of their time to improve those numbers and boost college entry among the students with whom they work.
Since the ambassadors are college students themselves, the memory of high school is still fresh enough in their minds that they know just how difficult and confusing a process it can be -- and as successful college students, they know what worked and how they can help. Mount St. Mary's is a private school with the funds available for many programs, and they put those funds to good use with the academic outreach program, which reportedly helps 7,000 students each year in their quest to successfully apply to and enroll in college.
About Baylor University
Baylor is nationally-ranked as a research and academic institution by both U.S. News & World Report and Kiplinger’s.
- Master of Business Administration
- Bachelor of Science in Respiratory Therapy
- Master of Science in Nursing - Womens Health Nurse Practitioner
- Master of Science in Criminal Justice More...
The University of North Florida is a nationally ranked university that offers a well-rounded education to students determined to make their mark and change the lives of others as well as their own.
- Doctor of Nursing Practice
- RN to BSN
About University of North Carolina Wilmington
To meet today’s high demand for nursing professionals UNCW is offering an accredited Bachelor of Science in Nursing program completely online.
- MSN Nurse Educator
- RN to BSN
Join the community of thought leaders at University of the Rockies. Pursue your graduate degree from the University’s School of Professional Psychology or School of Organizational Leadership.
- MA in Public Sociology
- Doctor of Psychology, Mediation & Conflict Resolution
- Doctor of Philosophy, Organizational Development and Leadership More...
One of the world's leading private research institutions, the University of Southern California (USC) was founded in 1880.
- Online Master of Management in Library and Information Science - Urban Public Librarianship
- Online Master of Management in Library and Information Science - Academic Librarianship
- Master of Public Administration More...
You’re serious about success. With your busy schedule and the desire to move your career forward, you can earn an accredited associate, bachelors or master’s degree at a pace that works for you anywhere, anytime, 24/7.
At AIU, the Serious U, you can get started to get ahead.
- Master's (M.Ed.) - Leadership of Educational Organizations
- Bachelor of Accounting
- Bachelor's (BSCJ) - Law Enforcement More...
- Graphic Design, Bachelor of Science (Online)
- Internet Marketing, Master of Science (Online)
- Music Production, Bachelors of Science (Online) More...
Study online with California University of Pennsylvania.
- Legal Studies - Homeland Security (Master of Science) - Online
- Wellness Coaching (Master of Science) - Online
- Dual Concentration: Performance Enhancement, Wellness Coaching (Master of Science) - Online More...