Ohio Governor Plans Online College Budget Cuts
In a highly controversial move, Ohio governor Ted Strickland has announced plans for a 75% financial aid funding cut for online schools, mandating a drastic drop over the next two years from $5,700-per-pupil down to $1,500.
"He's turning their oxygen off," said Bill Sims, president and chief executive officer of the Ohio Alliance for Public Charter Schools. "There is no way these schools can function on essentially a fifth of the revenue provided to traditional schoolchildren."
According to the Ohio Department of Education, the state has 34 online schools serving more than 23,000 students.
A spokeswoman for Strickland's camp attempted to rationalize the decision for the press, noting that online institutions--with their lack of brick-and-mortar upkeep and utility bills--require less funding to run. They would simply be using a new formula, reportedly, based on an imagined classroom of 25 students per professor. Unfortunately, such a student/professor ratio is large in any upper division class and risks diminishing the quality and potential to build a one-on-one relationship between teachers and students.
If the legislature approves the governor's plan, it will be a death blow to online charter schools, said Mickey Revenaugh, vice president of Connections Academy, an online school serving 1,600 students statewide in grades kindergarten through 12th grade.
"The math just doesn't work out. It's not doable," she said.
Can online schools within the state fight back and oppose the funding cuts, or will they be forced to find new sources for funding? Only time will tell.
An accredited online university, Capella University offers bachelor’s, master’s/MBA, doctoral, and certificate programs designed to take you to the forefront of your profession.
- MS - Addiction Studies
- MS - School Counseling (CACREP-accredited)
- MSN - RN-to-MSN Diabetes Nursing (CCNE-accredited) More...
Founded in 1872, Maryville University is a four-year, private university located in west St. Louis County.
- Online Bachelor of Science in Nursing to Doctor of Nursing Practice (BSN to DNP)-Adult-Gerontology Acute Care Nurse Practitioner (AGACNP)
- Online Master of Business Administration Supply Chain Management/Logistics Concentration
- Online Master of Science in Nursing-Family Nurse Practitioner (FNP) More...
Founded in 1766, Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, is a leading national public research university and the state’s preeminent, comprehensive public institution of higher learning.
- Online Master of Social Work
- Online Master of Information
- Online Bachelor of Science in Nursing
The MSW@USC is the first top-ranked MSW program offered nationally. Many online programs are limited to certain geographic areas or the availability of courses, making it necessary to travel to campus. Our program can be completed from virtually anywhere without the need to relocate to Southern California.
- Doctor of Social Work
- Master of Social Work
A Rutgers business education prepares students for success – not just in their chosen fields but also in their lives.
- Online MS in Supply Chain Management
- Master of Governmental Accounting (Online)
- Veterinary Technology Alternate Route - Certificate
- Respiratory Therapy
- Veterinary Technology - Associates More...
Since 1977, Keiser University has provided quality student-centered, career-focused education.
- Bachelor of Arts in Psychology
- Associate of Science in Information Technology
- Bachelor of Arts in Criminal Justice More...
Welcome to Argosy University
Argosy University offers doctoral, master's, and bachelor's degree programs to students through its eight colleges: College of Behavioral Sciences, Graduate School of Business and Management, College of Education, College of Health Sciences, College of Arts and Sciences, College of Creative Arts and Design, College of Clinical Psychology and Western State College of Law at Argosy University as well as certificate programs in many areas.
- Psychology (BA) (Online)
- Business Administration - Accounting (BS) (Online)
- Business Administration - Healthcare Management (BS) (Online) More...