Online Classes Give San Francisco High School Kids a Second Chance
Like virtually all urban centers, San Francisco has a unified school district that is belabored with students who were not raised in a learning environment. Some of these kids come to high school with little interest in the academics; some lose a year to peer distractions or drug use.
The resulting Ds and Fs of that lost year keeps most of those marginal students out of college, even if they grow up enough to understand that education is the way to a better life. In San Francisco, the district has found a way to upgrade those Ds and Fs so that graduating students have a shot at a college education.
Since December Galileo High School has been using a program called Cyber High which is administered by the Fresno Department of Education, in a city 200 miles away. Cyber High allows students with require core courses to make up the option to take online education courses either through a computer at home or one at Galileo.
Galileo Assistant Principal Nancy Lambert told the San Francisco Chronicle that Cyber High "��made college a possibility for students that wouldn't have been able to go." The other important point that school administrators see in this program is that it gives students who are behind in gaining the essential credits for graduation an opportunity to make them up - which in turn reduces the dropout rate.
Theses are not AP classes; all courses offered on Cyber High meet core educational requirements for the California State University system. It's a second chance for students who come to realize that the quality of life after high school is often dictated by education. It's also not a commitment to four more years of education, an intimidating prospect for many kids; Cyber High merely provides students a chance to walk with their class and consider college as an option.
The San Francisco school district purchased licensing for Cyber High for all of its high schools; usage thus far has yet to expand across the city. But for Galileo, a school that is constantly struggling with dropout rates, the results have been gratifying. In 2009, 56% of its graduates were heading off to a four year college, up from 41% the year before. Assistant Principal Lambert feels that Cyber High has made a difference.
Hidden in that statistic is the number of students who decided to stay in school because of the Cyber High option and may be headed for two year programs at local community colleges. And perhaps the most important intangible is the fact that students are learning how to use distance learning during high school, a skill that may prove valuable as they move into the work force and want to pursue further educational aspirations.
Our Lady of the Lake University is a private, Catholic university with a deep connection to the history and community of San Antonio.
- Master of Social Work (MSW) Degree
The goal of earning a master’s degree should be defined by you, not by your circumstances. No matter which path you’ve chosen, a graduate degree can help you advance with your current organization, explore opportunities with a new company, or even start fresh in a new industry. When you earn your master's degree, you’re opening new opportunities for career development that can make a difference for you and your family. Through flexible class scheduling, dedicated career advisors and quality programs, NAU strives to provide a caring and supportive learning environment to ensure your success as a student.
- Master of Business Administration, Aviation Management
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Education
- Master of Science in Nursing - Care Coordination More...
Purdue University offers a strong foundation of tradition and history.
- Master of Science in Communication
- Master of Science in Education in Special Education
- Master of Science in Hospitality and Tourism Management More...
The Accounting Academy was founded in 2005 and has been continuously approved to operate by the California Bureau for Private-Pstsecondary Education.
- Basic Computer and Microsoft Office Skills
- Accounting and Bookkeeping
Founded in 1766, Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, is a leading national public research university and the state’s preeminent, comprehensive public institution of higher learning.
- Online Master of Social Work
- Online Master of Business Administration
- Online Master of Information
The University of California, Riverside
Transforming Engineers into Leaders
If you’re seeking to elevate your technical expertise and take on leadership roles in today’s global workplace, the UC Riverside online Master of Science in Engineering can deliver the highly calibrated balance of scientific and business knowledge to help you reach your goals.
- M.S. in Engineering, Materials at the Nanoscale Specialization
- M.S. in Engineering, Data Science Specialization
- M.S. in Engineering, Electrical Engineering (Power Systems) Specialization More...
One of the world's leading private research institutions, the University of Southern California (USC) was founded in 1880.
- Online Master of Management in Library and Information Science - Urban Public Librarianship
- Online Master of Management in Library and Information Science - Academic Librarianship
- Master of Public Administration More...
- Bachelor of Science in Respiratory Therapy
- Master of Science in Nursing - Womens Health Nurse Practitioner
- Master of Science in Criminal Justice More...