Online Schools Buying Offshore Institutions
British online newspaper The Independent is reporting on the recent acquisition of the British educational institution BPP. BBP has four campuses in the Greater London area as well as a functioning distance learning center and several campuses outside the country.
BPP describes itself as a "professional education" provider, noting that it is the first private education company to be listed on the British stock exchange - which occurred in 1986. During their first decade they were principally an accounting school but have since expanded their educational offerings into the legal field. They are principally known in London as one of the schools that trains graduate students in the field of law, for roles as barrister or solicitor. In British courts it is the solicitor that practices law before the court. A degree in the field would be similar to a juris doctor degree in the United States.
According to the Independent, the purchase of BPP is the biggest buyout of a public company in the UK since the collapse of Lehman Brothers in 2008.
Graduate education in the London business arena is a little different than the nationalized degree programs in the U.S. BPP provides a range of well regarded legal training programs and "is about to begin a tailor-made MBA for Simmons & Simmons, the City law firm." There are several schools that are licensed to train the elite group of attorneys who practice law in the City of London and BPP is among them.
At the moment, American for-profit schools and online educators are buying private institutions that engage in professional training. However a London-based educator sees the prospect of bigger things for the American education firms. Nigel Savage, chief executive of the College of Law, a competitor of BPP, says that the takeover of BPP will have implications that will be felt far beyond law schools. "Universities have got a lot to learn from the private sector," he says. "I would not be surprised to see an organization like Apollo or Kaplan or Pearson actually acquiring an English university."
At Animal Behavior College (ABC), we're dedicated to helping animal lovers pursue animal careers.
- Cat Training
- Veterinary Assistant
- Certified Dog Trainer Instructor Course More...
An accredited online university, Capella University offers bachelor’s, master’s/MBA, doctoral, and certificate programs designed to take you to the forefront of your profession.
- DBA - Global Operations and Supply Chain Management (ACBSP-accredited)
- EdS - Teacher Leader in Digital Transformation
- MS - Addiction Studies More...
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- Legal Studies - Homeland Security (Master of Science) - Online
- Wellness Coaching (Master of Science) - Online
- Dual Concentration: Performance Enhancement, Wellness Coaching (Master of Science) - Online More...
Founded in 1766, Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, is a leading national public research university and the state’s preeminent, comprehensive public institution of higher learning.
- Online Master of Social Work
- Veterinary Technology Alternate Route - Certificate
- Respiratory Therapy
- Veterinary Technology - Associates More...
- Master of Public Administration Online
- Master of Arts in International Relations Online
- Master of Civil Engineering Online More...
For over 35 years, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals.
- PhD in Industrial and Organizational Psychology
- Master of Arts in Criminal Justice
- Master of Science in Nursing More...
Saint Xavier University, Chicago’s oldest Catholic university, has a long history of educating students to prepare them for professional success and lay the foundation for personal fulfillment.
- MSN in Clinical Leadership
- MSN in Executive Leadership
- MS in Finance