OppenheimerFunds Takes Heat For College Fund Losses
Just last month we discussed problems arising with a form of investment called the 529 Plan, which claimed to secure the costs of a student's future college tuition through a combination of savings and dividends. As it turns out, the floundering stock market has led to many of these plans coming up woefully short and leaving parents in the lurch as more and more students continue to reach college age. Now OppenheimerFunds (a subsidiary of Massachusetts Mutual Life Insurance) is under fire from attorney generals in five different states for its part in some of these massive savings-account losses.
Officials in Illinois, Maine, New Mexico, Oregon and Texas began last month to jointly explore whether OppenheimerFunds violated its fiduciary duty to investors in the so-called 529 plans, said Scott Burnham, a spokesman for Illinois State Treasurer Alexi Giannoulias. Investors lost $85 million last year in Illinois-sponsored accounts run by the firm, whose managers bought mortgage-linked securities before prices plunged along with the residential real estate market.
Mortgatge-linked securities are notoriously fickle, and OppenheimerFunds' managers' failed to let parents in on some complex investment plans before it was too late. According to their spokesperson, however, their actions were fair and justified.
Jeaneen Pisarra, a spokeswoman for New York-based OppenheimerFunds, declined to comment on the states' investigation or possible litigation.
"OppenheimerFunds maintains that it acted appropriately in managing the funds for which it serves as investment adviser," she said. "Unprecedented market volatility and lack of liquidity in the second half of 2008 led to poor performance of the Core Bond Fund."
Now that poor performance is reportedly "locked in," meaning that the event horizon has passed and the damage is too great to be easily recouped. State officials have yet to determine to what extent OppenheimerFunds is responsible for the losses, and how much money in total they may be responsible for. Nevertheless, a Seattle law firm is gearing up to engage in a group or class-action lawsuit against the investment company on behalf of the investors, now saddled with heavy college costs -- the costs they thought they'd done all the right things to protect against.
- Business Administration (AS) (Online)
- Psychology (BA) (Online)
- Business Administration - Accounting (BS) (Online) More...
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (RN to BSN completion)
- Master of Science in Management - Healthcare Management
- Master of Science in Information Technology - Network Management More...
- Veterinary Assistant
- Certified Dog Trainer Instructor Course
- Grooming Instruction
- Home Health Aide
- Security Guard
- Veterinary Assistant More...
You’re serious about success. With your busy schedule and the desire to move your career forward, you can earn an accredited associate, bachelors or master’s degree at a pace that works for you anywhere, anytime, 24/7.
At AIU, the Serious U, you can get started to get ahead.
- Master's (M.Ed.) - Leadership of Educational Organizations
- Bachelor of Accounting
- Bachelor's (BSCJ) - Law Enforcement More...
Congratulations! Your interest in Independence University is an important first step toward changing your life. A career-focused degree is the key to a career with a potentially higher income, better benefits, and more satisfaction.
- Business Administration - Human Resources (BS)
- Business Management & Accounting (AAS)
- Business Administration - New Media Marketing (BS) More...
Change the World with American University
Be a part of something bigger than yourself.
- Master of Science in Measurement & Evaluation
- Master of Science in Nutrition Education
- Master of Arts in Economics - Applied Economics More...
A Rutgers business education prepares students for success – not just in their chosen fields but also in their lives.
- Online MS in Supply Chain Management
- Master of Governmental Accounting (Online)
You’ve expressed interest in Blue Cliff College before, now we have online programs to better fit your busy lifestyle. Enroll now!
- Health Information/Medical Billing & Coding