Purdue University Auctions Off Naming Rights of Bats
The world is an amazing place, with new species being discovered at practically every turn. Researchers at Purdue have recently come into posession of several newly-unearthed species of bats and turtles from Mexico, Africa, and Central and South America, but have decided to pass the naming savings onto the public. (Perhaps even you!) Why? This particular line of biological research isn't subject to an awful lot of publicity or funding, and high profile bidding can be an excellent way to raise the cash to take their research further.
The first widely reported case of taxonomy -the classifying of living organisms- pairing up with capitalism happened in 2005. An online gambling Web site paid the Wildlife Conservation Society $650,000 for the naming rights to a Bolivian monkey, beating out a bid by comedian Ellen DeGeneres.
Since then, a fish-naming auction in Monaco raised more than $2 million for conservation work in Indonesia, and the University of Florida took in more than $40,000 for naming a new species of butterfly after an Ohio grandmother.
This summer, the Scripps Oceanographic Museum in San Diego began hawking naming rights for several aquatic species, including a hydrothermal vent worm and a sea slug. Bids could start no lower than $5,000.
It's as excellent use of a few thousand dollars, and from kindly grandmothers to ironic comedians, you would be in good company. Besides, who wouldn't want to be immortalized through a species of African fruit bats? If you have the means, live the dream.
- Veterinary Assistant
- Certified Dog Trainer Instructor Course
- Grooming Instruction
The University of North Florida is a nationally ranked university that offers a well-rounded education to students determined to make their mark and change the lives of others as well as their own.
- Doctor of Nursing Practice
- RN to BSN
Work toward your graduate degree with New England College Online.
- Master of Science in Accounting - Forensic Accounting
- MS in Management/Project Management
- Master of Science in Accounting More...
About The University of Texas at Arlington
- M.Ed. In Curriculum and Instruction - Mathematics Education
- Master of Science in Nursing - Pediatric Acute Care Nurse Practitioner
- M.Ed. In Curriculum and Instruction - Science Education More...
About Boise State University
Boise State University is a highly respected, public, metropolitan research university offering lifelong learning.
- Master of Business Administration
- AA - Healthcare Information Technology
- Diploma - Massage
- AA - Paralegal Studies More...
- Veterinary Technology Alternate Route - Certificate
- Respiratory Therapy
- Veterinary Technology - Associates More...