Purdue University Auctions Off Naming Rights of Bats
The world is an amazing place, with new species being discovered at practically every turn. Researchers at Purdue have recently come into posession of several newly-unearthed species of bats and turtles from Mexico, Africa, and Central and South America, but have decided to pass the naming savings onto the public. (Perhaps even you!) Why? This particular line of biological research isn't subject to an awful lot of publicity or funding, and high profile bidding can be an excellent way to raise the cash to take their research further.
The first widely reported case of taxonomy -the classifying of living organisms- pairing up with capitalism happened in 2005. An online gambling Web site paid the Wildlife Conservation Society $650,000 for the naming rights to a Bolivian monkey, beating out a bid by comedian Ellen DeGeneres.
Since then, a fish-naming auction in Monaco raised more than $2 million for conservation work in Indonesia, and the University of Florida took in more than $40,000 for naming a new species of butterfly after an Ohio grandmother.
This summer, the Scripps Oceanographic Museum in San Diego began hawking naming rights for several aquatic species, including a hydrothermal vent worm and a sea slug. Bids could start no lower than $5,000.
It's as excellent use of a few thousand dollars, and from kindly grandmothers to ironic comedians, you would be in good company. Besides, who wouldn't want to be immortalized through a species of African fruit bats? If you have the means, live the dream.
- Business Administration (AS) (Online)
- Psychology (BA) (Online)
- Business Administration - Accounting (BS) (Online) More...
Founded in 1766, Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, is a leading national public research university and the state’s preeminent, comprehensive public institution of higher learning.
- Online Master of Social Work
An accredited online university, Capella University offers bachelor’s, master’s/MBA, doctoral, and certificate programs designed to take you to the forefront of your profession.
- DBA - Global Operations and Supply Chain Management (ACBSP-accredited)
- EdS - Teacher Leader in Digital Transformation
- MS - Addiction Studies More...
Earn your graduate degree online with Northcentral University.
- International Business - D.B.A.
- Leadership in Higher Education - EdS
- MS Organizational Leadership - Nonprofit Management More...
Making the decision to earn your degree and pursue your career goals could be the best decision you ever make. Enroll at ECPI University and you’ll join a collaborative and fostering learning environment, surrounded by faculty and staff who are there to support you through the entire process.
- Cloud Computing - Bachelor's
- Cyber and Network Security - Bachelor's
- Network Security - Associate's More...
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- Legal Studies - Homeland Security (Master of Science) - Online
- Wellness Coaching (Master of Science) - Online
- Dual Concentration: Performance Enhancement, Wellness Coaching (Master of Science) - Online More...
- Master of Public Administration Online
- Master of Arts in International Relations Online
- Master of Civil Engineering Online More...
- Veterinary Technology Alternate Route - Certificate
- Respiratory Therapy
- Veterinary Technology - Associates More...
The MSW@USC is the first top-ranked MSW program offered nationally. Many online programs are limited to certain geographic areas or the availability of courses, making it necessary to travel to campus. Our program can be completed from virtually anywhere without the need to relocate to Southern California.
- Doctor of Social Work
- Master of Social Work