Rutgers Offers Free Online Certification Program for Unemployed
Rutgers University has developed an online program offering certification in a number of professional areas to residents who are unemployed and seeking to redirect their careers. The business school at Rutgers - Camden has been using online education for some time to provide continuing education opportunities to professionals holding a business degree. Now it has expanded its offerings into several other professional sectors.
Several years ago school officials established the Rutgers Institute for Management and Executive Development program, for which the mission is to "allow participants to gain new skills and sharpen existing abilities on their own schedule, while working toward certificates in such in-demand fields as information technology, Web design and customer service." Originally the program provided outreach to working professionals who needed the flexibility of distance learning in order to participate.
With the surge in New Jersey's unemployment rate caused by the recession, the program has taken on a different role. For unemployed state residents there is funding available through the New Jersey Department of Labor's Workforce Development Program to participate in the program. Unemployed workers who need new skill sets can go through the Rutgers continuing education program for free.
The program typically takes three to four months, depending on the subject matter and the student's pace. Each course covers about seventy hours of learning - that is, time spent online studying course content. In addition there are about thirty hours of time devoted to completing assignments. Students can access course material any time of day or night, seven days per week.
There are two dozen educational fields in which students can obtain certification, including business ethics, call center management, marketing management, and family business management. According to a Rutgers press release the most popular programs are in project management and human resources. Program participants who complete their certification in these areas can continue on to gain a project management degree or a human resources degree after finding employment.
The program has an excellent track record. According to the University's continuing education program manager approximately 630 people have completed the Rutgers online certification classes, with nearly 80 percent of participants finding jobs within three months of completion. Part of this success comes from partnerships, formal and informal, between the school and surrounding businesses. Rutgers and many other universities have developed ties with the business community in order to make their placement offices effective.
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (RN to BSN completion)
- Master of Science in Management - Healthcare Management
- Master of Science in Information Technology - Network Management More...
- Veterinary Assistant
- Certified Dog Trainer Instructor Course
- Grooming Instruction
An accredited online university, Capella University offers bachelor’s, master’s/MBA, doctoral, and certificate programs designed to take you to the forefront of your profession.
- DBA - Global Operations and Supply Chain Management (ACBSP-accredited)
- EdS - Teacher Leader in Digital Transformation
- MS - Addiction Studies More...
Located in the heart of Washington, D.C. the Milken Institute School of Public Health at the George Washington University is dedicated to advancing the health of local, national and global communities.
You need to have a Bachelor’s degree to be qualified for this school.
- Executive Master of Health Administration
- Master of Public Health
Concordia University - Portland offers several fully online 14-month Master of Education (M.Ed.) programs and a fully online Doctorate of Education (Ed.D.) program.
- M.Ed. in Curriculum and Instruction Equity, Ethics, and Justice
- M.Ed. in Curriculum & Instruction: Common Core State Standards Instructional Leader
- M.Ed. in Curriculum & Instruction: The Inclusive Classroom (SPED) More...
One of the world's leading private research institutions, the University of Southern California (USC) was founded in 1880.
- Online Master of Management in Library and Information Science - Urban Public Librarianship
- Online Master of Management in Library and Information Science - Academic Librarianship
- Master of Public Administration More...
- Associate of Arts in Business - Business Management
- Bachelor of Arts in Business - Organizational Leadership
- Master of Arts in Ministry - Practical Theology More...
Johns Hopkins University Carey Business School has brought the philosophy of business with humanity in mind to a part time format.
- Flexible MBA
- Flexible MBA - Entrepreneurship
- Flexible MBA - Management More...
Purdue University offers a strong foundation of tradition and history.
- Master of Science in Communication
- Master of Science in Education in Special Education
- Master of Science in Hospitality and Tourism Management More...