Saint Paul College Prepares For the Future With Web 2.0 Degrees
Warren Sheaffer is Saint Paul College's Computer Science Department chair, and he has some big ideas -- not least of which is the importance of Web 2.0, a piece of technology that has been dominating modern web use. According to Finance and Commerce, Sheaffer is preparing students well for the future of computing, with several new courses and a very special partnership that puts the college at the cutting edge of classroom technology.
One of Saint Paul College's new courses is a web development program called the Web 2.0 Certificate. This certificate is "designed to prepare students to help develop advanced Web applications using the set of technologies that are common to Web 2.0," in other words applications relevant to Facebook, Wikipedia, and other such hot spots in the changing and increasingly collaborative world of the web. Also among those hot spots is Linden Labs' virtual reality sandbox Second Life, and Sheaffer is leading his department into a Second Life Revolution.
This charge into Web 2.0 technologies requires help from some heavy-hitting friends, and this vocational school found that in Silicon Valley superstars Sun Microsystems. The company partnered with the college to help develop curriculum in 3D graphics and programming, plus a groundbreaking virtual classroom setting. The school launched the Sun Microsystems Center of Excellence to "help create a next-generation 'mixed-reality' teaching and learning laboratory." It uses a mix of classroom activities and new virtual worlds, and brings together students in the physical realm and distance learning students alike. "We believe," says Sheaffer, "it's the first of its kind at an educational institution in this country."
Two new associate degree programs are offered through the virtual reality world of the Center of Excellence: the Metaverse Application Design program is a graphic design degree that develops skills in 3D rendering and animation, whereas the Metaverse Application Development program more closely resembles a computer science degree with a focus on Java and other similar programs. By knocking down barriers with the virtual nature of the Center and the courses, Saint Paul College has high hopes for educating people across the country and around the world.
At Animal Behavior College (ABC), we're dedicated to helping animal lovers pursue animal careers.
- Cat Training
- Veterinary Assistant
- Certified Dog Trainer Instructor Course More...
- Veterinary Technology Alternate Route - Certificate
- Respiratory Therapy
- Veterinary Technology - Associates More...
You can fire up a new career with help from Auguste Escoffier Schools of Culinary Arts. We offer two programs for careers in the culinary industry, including culinary arts and pastry arts.
- Certificate in Escoffier Online Culinary Arts
An accredited online university, Capella University offers bachelor’s, master’s/MBA, doctoral, and certificate programs designed to take you to the forefront of your profession.
- DBA - Global Operations and Supply Chain Management (ACBSP-accredited)
- EdS - Teacher Leader in Digital Transformation
- MS - Addiction Studies More...
- Online Associate Degree to Master Degree Nursing program
- Online Bachelor Degree to Master Degree Nursing program
- Master of Public Administration
Grantham University's 100% accredited online degrees are convenient, portable and designed so you can fit education into your life instead of arranging life around your education.
- Bachelor of Science in Multidisciplinary Studies
- Bachelor of Science Interdisciplinary Studies - Strategic Communications
- Master of Business Administration More...
Study online with University of Maryland at College Park.
- MBA - Information Systems & Business Analytics
- MBA - General
- MBA - Marketing More...
One of the world's leading private research institutions, the University of Southern California (USC) was founded in 1880.
- Online Master of Management in Library and Information Science - Urban Public Librarianship
- Online Master of Management in Library and Information Science - Academic Librarianship
- Master of Public Administration More...