Smith College to Introduce New Bachelor of Arts in Engineering Degree
Smith College has always been a pioneer in many fields, including engineering: its Picker Engineering Program is not only one of the most renowned engineering schools in the nation, but was the first at an all-woman's school and the first to explore engineering from a liberal arts perspective. Not content to stop innovating, Smith College has now announced plans for a new Bachelor of Arts degree in Engineering, a state-of-the-art degree they hope will expand on the notion of applying engineering concepts and understanding to all facets of life, from architecture to social sciences.
"The new degree is designed for students who recognize the increasing importance of science and technology in all facets of life in today's world yet don't want to specifically become engineers," said Linda Jones, Rosemary Bradford Hewlett '40 Professor of Engineering and director of the Picker Engineering Program. "If a student is interested in a field in which some depth in science or engineering is needed, the bachelor of arts in engineering arts may be her best bet."
Due to the capricious nature of the degree, students will be required to submit a statement of academic focus by the end of sophomore year, just to confirm that academic goals are being worked toward. These new classes start for the first time in the Fall.
Interested in exploring engineering yourself? Check out the many online engineering degrees available at Get Degrees!
Study online with Marylhurst University.
- MBA Real Estate - Management
- BS - Business Management
- BS - Real Estate Studies More...
- Master of Science in Accounting
- Bachelor of Science in Business / Minor in Informatics
- Bachelor of Science in Business Administration More...
- MBA - Healthcare Management and Leadership
- Doctorate in Healthcare Management and Leadership
- MBA - Project Quality and Management More...
- Veterinary Assistant
- Grooming Instruction
- Certified Dog Trainer Instructor Course
- California Real Estate Salesperson
- Medical Coding
- Pharmacy Technician Program
- Writing Children's Books
- Medical Transcription
- Medical Office Assisting More...
- Master of Arts in Teaching
- Master of Arts in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages
- Master of Arts in Teaching with Teaching Credential More...
Pursue your education online with The College Network.
- LPN/LVN to RN - AS in Nursing (Licensed LPN/LVNs only)
- LPN/LVN to RN - BS in Nursing - Indiana St. - (Licensed LPN/LVNs only)