Smith College to Introduce New Bachelor of Arts in Engineering Degree
Smith College has always been a pioneer in many fields, including engineering: its Picker Engineering Program is not only one of the most renowned engineering schools in the nation, but was the first at an all-woman's school and the first to explore engineering from a liberal arts perspective. Not content to stop innovating, Smith College has now announced plans for a new Bachelor of Arts degree in Engineering, a state-of-the-art degree they hope will expand on the notion of applying engineering concepts and understanding to all facets of life, from architecture to social sciences.
"The new degree is designed for students who recognize the increasing importance of science and technology in all facets of life in today's world yet don't want to specifically become engineers," said Linda Jones, Rosemary Bradford Hewlett '40 Professor of Engineering and director of the Picker Engineering Program. "If a student is interested in a field in which some depth in science or engineering is needed, the bachelor of arts in engineering arts may be her best bet."
Due to the capricious nature of the degree, students will be required to submit a statement of academic focus by the end of sophomore year, just to confirm that academic goals are being worked toward. These new classes start for the first time in the Fall.
Interested in exploring engineering yourself? Check out the many online engineering degrees available at Get Degrees!
Everest University Online, a Division of Everest University, makes career training convenient and accessible. With courses tailored for working students and others who need a more flexible class schedule, Everest University Online allows students to learn from home and offers the same well-respected curriculum available at a traditional campus.
- Criminal Justice (Associate's)
- Applied Management (Associate's)
- Criminal Justice (Master's) More...
- B.S. in Environmental Science
- Doctor of Education/Educational Leadership
- Doctor of Education/Curriculum and Instruction More...
Capella provides a flexible online learning environment designed for working adults who want to advance in their profession.
- DBA - Leadership
- PhD - Information Technology General
- MS - Social and Community Services More...
- Veterinary Assistant
- Grooming Instruction
- Certified Dog Trainer Instructor Course
- California Real Estate Salesperson
- Medical Coding
- Medical Billing More...
With more than 300 online and residential areas of study, Liberty offers programs from the certificate to doctoral level.
- Master of Arts in Pastoral Counseling
- M.Div: Leadership
- MA Theological Studies: Theology More...
Designed with the needs of working adult students in mind, South University, Online Programs is built on the similar curriculum offered at South University's campus locations. As a student at South University, Online Programs you will receive the same quality instruction, variety of learning options and level of service found at the campus locations.
- Doctor of Ministry (D.Min.)
- Adult Health Nurse Practitioner (PGC)
- Specialization in Nurse Educator (MSN) More...
Our master’s degree programs empower you to create new career opportunities through a curriculum that teaches the latest theories and concepts rooted in real-world experiential learning.
- Master of Science in Project Management
- Master of Science in Information Systems and Engineering Management
- Master of Science in Analytics