Smith College to Introduce New Bachelor of Arts in Engineering Degree
Smith College has always been a pioneer in many fields, including engineering: its Picker Engineering Program is not only one of the most renowned engineering schools in the nation, but was the first at an all-woman's school and the first to explore engineering from a liberal arts perspective. Not content to stop innovating, Smith College has now announced plans for a new Bachelor of Arts degree in Engineering, a state-of-the-art degree they hope will expand on the notion of applying engineering concepts and understanding to all facets of life, from architecture to social sciences.
"The new degree is designed for students who recognize the increasing importance of science and technology in all facets of life in today's world yet don't want to specifically become engineers," said Linda Jones, Rosemary Bradford Hewlett '40 Professor of Engineering and director of the Picker Engineering Program. "If a student is interested in a field in which some depth in science or engineering is needed, the bachelor of arts in engineering arts may be her best bet."
Due to the capricious nature of the degree, students will be required to submit a statement of academic focus by the end of sophomore year, just to confirm that academic goals are being worked toward. These new classes start for the first time in the Fall.
Interested in exploring engineering yourself? Check out the many online engineering degrees available at Get Degrees!
- Family and Child Service Certificate
- Graduate Project Management Certificate
- M.S. in Administration of Justice and security/Global Homeland Security More...
- Electrocardiograph Technician
- Medical Coding Specialist
- Medical Assistant More...
- Criminal Justice, BA
- Public Safety Administration, BS
- Bachelor of Arts in Political Science More...
- MEd in Gifted
- BSE Electrical Engineering
- Grad Cert in K-12 Online Teaching More...
Ultimate Medical Academy (UMA) offers industry-relevant knowledge and training for in demand careers in healthcare.
- Diploma - Medical Office Billing Specialist
- A.S. - Healthcare Information Technology
- A.S. - Medical Billing & Coding More...
The MSW@USC is the first top-ranked MSW program offered nationally. Many online programs are limited to certain geographic areas or the availability of courses, making it necessary to travel to campus. Our program can be completed from virtually anywhere without the need to relocate to Southern California.
- Master of Social Work
Try your first two online courses for only $200 each with our Start Smart (SM) Offer.
- Master of Science in Accounting
- Bachelor of Science in Business / Minor in Informatics
- Bachelor of Science in Business Administration More...
- Veterinary Assistant
- Grooming Instruction
- Certified Dog Trainer Instructor Course