Smith College to Introduce New Bachelor of Arts in Engineering Degree
Smith College has always been a pioneer in many fields, including engineering: its Picker Engineering Program is not only one of the most renowned engineering schools in the nation, but was the first at an all-woman's school and the first to explore engineering from a liberal arts perspective. Not content to stop innovating, Smith College has now announced plans for a new Bachelor of Arts degree in Engineering, a state-of-the-art degree they hope will expand on the notion of applying engineering concepts and understanding to all facets of life, from architecture to social sciences.
"The new degree is designed for students who recognize the increasing importance of science and technology in all facets of life in today's world yet don't want to specifically become engineers," said Linda Jones, Rosemary Bradford Hewlett '40 Professor of Engineering and director of the Picker Engineering Program. "If a student is interested in a field in which some depth in science or engineering is needed, the bachelor of arts in engineering arts may be her best bet."
Due to the capricious nature of the degree, students will be required to submit a statement of academic focus by the end of sophomore year, just to confirm that academic goals are being worked toward. These new classes start for the first time in the Fall.
Interested in exploring engineering yourself? Check out the many online engineering degrees available at Get Degrees!
- Bachelor's (BBA) - Entrepreneurship
- MBA - Finance
- Bachelor's (BBA) - International Business More...
- Medical Coding Specialist
- Medical Assistant
- Medical Office Assistant
- Bachelor's - Accounting
- Bachelor's - Business Administration - Human Resource Management
- Bachelor's - Business Administration More...
- Veterinary Assistant
- Grooming Instruction
- Certified Dog Trainer Instructor Course
The University of Florida is ranked #5 in the country by U.S. News & World Report for Best Online Bachelor’s Programs. Be greater. Be a gator.
- BS in Telecommunication Media & Society
- BA in Criminology & Law
- BS in Health Education & Behavior More...
- Creative Writing, Master of Fine Arts (Online)
- Entertainment Business, Master of Science (Online)
- Music Business, Bachelor of Science (Online) More...
- Criminal Justice, BA (Online)
- Information Technology, AS (Online)
- Health Services Administration, BA (Online Only) More...