State Trooper Diploma Mill Scandal Shakes Up Washington
Diploma mills are bad news. It doesn't do it justice to say they deprive your future employers of a truly qualified individual -- what's worse, they cheat the recipient out of their money and a quality education. Of course, there are consequences, as ten Thurston County state troopers found out when it came to light that their college degrees were somewhat less than legit.
An audit last year found nine troopers with degrees of "questionable nature" after an unrelated diploma mill scandal in Spokane.
The State Patrol learned of a 10th trooper with similarly questionable degree after an investigation began into whether the troopers committed fraud.
The troopers remain on paid administrative leave while the State Patrol investigates whether they violated department ethics and policies. They still could face discipline, including termination.
The punishment brought against the troopers is less severe than expected, and no formal charges were brought against them, on the basis that they were operating under the (erroneous) understanding that the schools they obtained diplomas for were accredited. "In our view," claimed the Chief Deputy Prosecutor handling the matter, "it would be difficult, if not impossible, to prove any criminal intent on the part of the troopers when they are essentially relying on the feedback they're getting from the (human resources) representative."
The troopers have also thus far taken actions to make amends -- they all asked to no longer be paid on the higher salary pay-grade granted to them by a higher education, and all repaid the extra salary they had gained while operating under the assumption of having a degree.
Obtaining a diploma from an unaccredited institution can seem like a small mistake, but it can have dire consequences. Check out our article on five ways to tell an accredited school from the imposters to keep from following in those state troopers' footsteps.
- Business Administration (AS) (Online)
- Psychology (BA) (Online)
- Business Administration - Accounting (BS) (Online) More...
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (RN to BSN completion)
- Master of Science in Management - Healthcare Management
- Master of Science in Information Technology - Network Management More...
Become the leader you know you can be. The Forbes School of Business & TechnologyÒat Ashford University
- BA Sports and Recreation Management - Information Systems
- BA Public Relations and Marketing - Project Management
- MBA - Information Systems More...
- Veterinary Assistant
- Certified Dog Trainer Instructor Course
- Grooming Instruction
- Home Health Aide
- Security Guard
- Veterinary Assistant More...
You’re serious about success. With your busy schedule and the desire to move your career forward, you can earn an accredited associate, bachelors or master’s degree at a pace that works for you anywhere, anytime, 24/7.
At AIU, the Serious U, you can get started to get ahead.
- Master's (M.Ed.) - Leadership of Educational Organizations
- Bachelor of Accounting
- Bachelor's (BSCJ) - Law Enforcement More...
You’ve expressed interest in Blue Cliff College before, now we have online programs to better fit your busy lifestyle. Enroll now!
- Health Information/Medical Billing & Coding
Liberty University provides a world-class education with a solid Christian foundation, equipping men and women with the values, knowledge, and skills essential for success in every aspect of life.
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Ministry: Evangelism & Church Planting
- M.Div: Homiletics More...
The University of California, Riverside
Transforming Engineers into Leaders
If you’re seeking to elevate your technical expertise and take on leadership roles in today’s global workplace, the UC Riverside online Master of Science in Engineering can deliver the highly calibrated balance of scientific and business knowledge to help you reach your goals.
- M.S. in Engineering, Materials at the Nanoscale Specialization
- M.S. in Engineering, Data Science Specialization
- M.S. in Engineering, Electrical Engineering (Power Systems) Specialization More...