State Trooper Diploma Mill Scandal Shakes Up Washington
Diploma mills are bad news. It doesn't do it justice to say they deprive your future employers of a truly qualified individual -- what's worse, they cheat the recipient out of their money and a quality education. Of course, there are consequences, as ten Thurston County state troopers found out when it came to light that their college degrees were somewhat less than legit.
An audit last year found nine troopers with degrees of "questionable nature" after an unrelated diploma mill scandal in Spokane.
The State Patrol learned of a 10th trooper with similarly questionable degree after an investigation began into whether the troopers committed fraud.
The troopers remain on paid administrative leave while the State Patrol investigates whether they violated department ethics and policies. They still could face discipline, including termination.
The punishment brought against the troopers is less severe than expected, and no formal charges were brought against them, on the basis that they were operating under the (erroneous) understanding that the schools they obtained diplomas for were accredited. "In our view," claimed the Chief Deputy Prosecutor handling the matter, "it would be difficult, if not impossible, to prove any criminal intent on the part of the troopers when they are essentially relying on the feedback they're getting from the (human resources) representative."
The troopers have also thus far taken actions to make amends -- they all asked to no longer be paid on the higher salary pay-grade granted to them by a higher education, and all repaid the extra salary they had gained while operating under the assumption of having a degree.
Obtaining a diploma from an unaccredited institution can seem like a small mistake, but it can have dire consequences. Check out our article on five ways to tell an accredited school from the imposters to keep from following in those state troopers' footsteps.
An accredited online university, Capella University offers bachelor’s, master’s/MBA, doctoral, and certificate programs designed to take you to the forefront of your profession.
- MS - Addiction Studies
- MS - School Counseling (CACREP-accredited)
- MSN - RN-to-MSN Diabetes Nursing (CCNE-accredited) More...
Change the World with American University
Be a part of something bigger than yourself.
- Graduate Certificate in Human Resource Analytics and Mangement
- Master of Science in Measurement & Evaluation
- Master of Science in Nutrition Education More...
- Veterinary Technology Alternate Route - Certificate
- Respiratory Therapy
- Veterinary Technology - Associates More...
A Rutgers business education prepares students for success – not just in their chosen fields but also in their lives.
- Online MS in Supply Chain Management
- Master of Governmental Accounting (Online)
Hofstra University is a private institution whose primary mission is to provide a quality education to its students in an environment that encourages, nurtures and supports learning through the free and open exchange of ideas for the betterment of humankind.
- Online Master of Arts in Health Law and Policy
- Online Master of Laws in Health Law and Policy
Earn your graduate degree online with Northcentral University.
- International Business - D.B.A.
- Leadership in Higher Education - EdS
- MS Organizational Leadership - Nonprofit Management More...
You can advance your career with a degree from Charter College Online.
- Certificate - Medical Office Administrative Assistant
- Certificate - Business Office Administration
- Certificate - Computer Technician
Join the community of thought leaders at University of the Rockies. Pursue your graduate degree from the University’s School of Professional Psychology or School of Organizational Leadership.
- MA in Public Sociology
- Doctor of Psychology, Mediation & Conflict Resolution
- Doctor of Philosophy, Organizational Development and Leadership More...