SUNY in a Dialogue on Credit Transfers
The State University of New York system operates sixty four campuses with both two year and four year campuses. Despite the fact that they are under one umbrella, the issue of transferring credits from a two year school into a baccalaureate program has been an ongoing problem.
Inside Higher Education is reporting that the committee studying this issue has come forward with a proposal that lays the issue in the hands of the faculty. The problem lies in the area of upper level requirements for completion of a major. The core courses for a four year degree are often the same as for an associate's degree and transfer easily. It's the upper level courses that pose a problem.
The article cites as an example a student pursuing a business degree at the community college level who decides that his interest lies in accounting. He may have to retake "financial accounting" and "managerial accounting," two courses taken by all business majors, because there is not yet a common understand of what these courses comprise.
Other students who start out in an computer networking diploma program but decide to continue on through the associate degree and into a four year college may find that the elemental computer science taught in a diploma course isn't satisfactory for the bachelor's program, or that the online degree courses have different content than the classroom courses at the State University level.
The system is taking the decision making power out of the faculty curriculum committees at each school and dispensing with the one-on-one agreements between community colleges and the various four year schools. The goal is to have systematized course descriptions for all levels and agreement on course content across the board. It's a system that has been implemented in Florida and seems to be working.
- Business Administration (AS) (Online)
- Psychology (BA) (Online)
- Business Administration - Accounting (BS) (Online) More...
Join the community of thought leaders at University of the Rockies. Pursue your graduate degree from the University’s School of Professional Psychology or School of Organizational Leadership.
- MA in Public Sociology
- Doctor of Psychology, Mediation & Conflict Resolution
- Doctor of Philosophy, Organizational Development and Leadership More...
An accredited online university, Capella University offers bachelor’s, master’s/MBA, doctoral, and certificate programs designed to take you to the forefront of your profession.
- DBA - Global Operations and Supply Chain Management (ACBSP-accredited)
- EdS - Teacher Leader in Digital Transformation
- MS - Addiction Studies More...
- Associate of Arts in Business - Business Management
- Bachelor of Arts in Business - Organizational Leadership
- Master of Arts in Ministry - Practical Theology More...
The MSW@USC is the first top-ranked MSW program offered nationally. Many online programs are limited to certain geographic areas or the availability of courses, making it necessary to travel to campus. Our program can be completed from virtually anywhere without the need to relocate to Southern California.
- Doctor of Social Work
- Master of Social Work
- Veterinary Technology Alternate Route - Certificate
- Respiratory Therapy
- Veterinary Technology - Associates More...
Founded in 1766, Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, is a leading national public research university and the state’s preeminent, comprehensive public institution of higher learning.
- Online Master of Social Work
Founded in 1872, Maryville University is a four-year, private university located in west St. Louis County.
- Online Bachelor of Science in Nursing to Doctor of Nursing Practice (BSN to DNP)-Adult-Gerontology Acute Care Nurse Practitioner (AGACNP)
- Online Master of Business Administration Supply Chain Management/Logistics Concentration
- Online Master of Science in Nursing-Family Nurse Practitioner (FNP) More...
- Master of Public Administration Online
- Master of Arts in International Relations Online
- Master of Civil Engineering Online More...