Texas Scholarship Program for Science and Math Majors
Responding to a national shortage, the National Science Foundation (NSF) has awarded University of Texas Dallas, Collin College and Richland College nearly $2.5 million to graduate more students with science, technology, engineering and math, or (STEM) degrees. Acronyms are a critical part of academic planning, to wit: The grant has been named the STEM Talent Expansion Program or (STEP); it is attempting to reverse the trend of decreases in science and math degrees awarded in the U.S. in recent decades.
According to the National Academy of Sciences report Rising above the Gathering Storm (2007), "the proportion of bachelor's degrees in physics to total degrees awarded was twice as high the year before Sputnik , deemed a time of dangerous educational neglect, as in 2004." The report emphasized the importance of increasing the number of students with STEM bachelor's degrees for the U.S. economy and global competitiveness.
The most important aspect of this program is the fact that will coordinate the academic coursework at both community colleges and the universities involved in order to make the transition seamless for science and math majors - which include engineering students. This accomplishment will come from a mix of course alignments, scholarships and coordinated academic advising. Applied science students from community colleges will have the opportunity to move into a hard science major after two years of college-level work.
"Our belief is through the use of robotics and sensor technology curriculum developed under the NSF Grant, the field of engineering can come alive for our students. Today's students need to become excited about the endless possibilities that a career in engineering and science can offer them." says Dave Galley, director of engineering at Collin College.
This appears to be an important first step in the utilization of community colleges for career studies that were once available only to those who could afford the traditional four year college experience. The notion of a physicist gaining a degree that began to develop in a community college is radical in its own way, and for some academic professionals, long overdue. The same can be true for students that choose online education as a point of departure and discover that they have the intellectual tools to work in engineering and research.
- Business Administration (AS) (Online)
- Psychology (BA) (Online)
- Business Administration - Accounting (BS) (Online) More...
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (RN to BSN completion)
- Master of Science in Management - Healthcare Management
- Master of Science in Information Technology - Network Management More...
Purdue University offers a strong foundation of tradition and history.
- Master of Science in Communication
- Master of Science in Education in Special Education
- Master of Science in Hospitality and Tourism Management More...
- Veterinary Assistant
- Certified Dog Trainer Instructor Course
- Grooming Instruction
- Home Health Aide
- Security Guard
- Veterinary Assistant More...
You’re serious about success. With your busy schedule and the desire to move your career forward, you can earn an accredited associate, bachelors or master’s degree at a pace that works for you anywhere, anytime, 24/7.
At AIU, the Serious U, you can get started to get ahead.
- Master's (M.Ed.) - Leadership of Educational Organizations
- Bachelor of Accounting
- Bachelor's (BSCJ) - Law Enforcement More...
As home sales increase, you can be ready to launch a new career. Allied’s real estate programs provide the perfect way to start a professional career - one with unlimited opportunity! Put yourself at the forefront of the real estate field as a salesperson, broker or appraiser.
- California Real Estate License
- Virginia Real Estate License
- Nevada Real Estate License More...
Since 1888, The University of Scranton has grounded its education in Catholic and Jesuit principles based on intellectual growth and integrity, all of which shape the online master’s and certificate programs.
- Online General MBA
- Online MBA specialization in Operations Management
- Online Master of Accountancy More...
An accredited online university, Capella University offers bachelor’s, master’s/MBA, doctoral, and certificate programs designed to take you to the forefront of your profession.
- DBA - Global Operations and Supply Chain Management (ACBSP-accredited)
- EdS - Teacher Leader in Digital Transformation
- MS - Addiction Studies More...