Texas Universities Offering Self-Employment Education
The continuing difficulties in the job market are causing more people who have lost work and can't find new opportunities to create opportunity for themselves. In Texas a number of universities are responding with coursework that will provide learning support for self-employment efforts.
"Our approach to studying entrepreneurship allows students to experiment and learn from trying something," said Dr. Susanna Khavul, assistant professor of strategy and entrepreneurship at the University of Texas at Arlington. "Students work in teams on a feasibility study or plan for an existing business," she said. "That gives them the opportunity to look at expanding a business, starting something new or trying something entrepreneurial at the companies where they work."
The result is an entrepreneurship degree based on the practicalities of today's small business environment. "I teach graduate students who are anywhere from age 20 to 65," she said. "On the first day of class, I ask them if they have ever met an entrepreneur. Historically, only about 10 percent of the class will say yes. Then I ask them if they have any friends who own their own business, or if they use a drycleaner��They begin to be aware that there is a lot of entrepreneurship around them, particularly in this area."
A similar program at Baylor puts students in a situation to look critically at business models at all levels in order to teach the concepts underlying enterprise development. "Entrepreneurship majors have a core course sequence that helps them conceptualize, design and implement whatever business they want to follow," said Dr. Kendall Artz, director of the university's entrepreneurship program.
"This program is different from the regular business degree," he said. "We have a tremendous breadth and depth of courses, including a specialization in family business management and concentrations in social, corporate and technology entrepreneurship.
- Business Administration (AS) (Online)
- Psychology (BA) (Online)
- Business Administration - Accounting (BS) (Online) More...
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (RN to BSN completion)
- Master of Science in Management - Healthcare Management
- Master of Science in Information Technology - Network Management More...
- Veterinary Assistant
- Certified Dog Trainer Instructor Course
- Grooming Instruction
You’re serious about success. With your busy schedule and the desire to move your career forward, you can earn an accredited associate, bachelors or master’s degree at a pace that works for you anywhere, anytime, 24/7.
At AIU, the Serious U, you can get started to get ahead.
- Master's (M.Ed.) - Leadership of Educational Organizations
- Bachelor of Accounting
- Bachelor's (BSCJ) - Law Enforcement More...
Liberty University provides a world-class education with a solid Christian foundation, equipping men and women with the values, knowledge, and skills essential for success in every aspect of life.
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Ministry: Evangelism & Church Planting
- M.Div: Homiletics More...
- Veterinary Technology Alternate Route - Certificate
- Respiratory Therapy
- Veterinary Technology - Associates More...
Join the community of thought leaders at University of the Rockies. Pursue your graduate degree from the University’s School of Professional Psychology or School of Organizational Leadership.
- MA in Public Sociology
- Doctor of Psychology, Mediation & Conflict Resolution
- Doctor of Philosophy, Organizational Development and Leadership More...
You’ve expressed interest in Blue Cliff College before, now we have online programs to better fit your busy lifestyle. Enroll now!
- Health Information/Medical Billing & Coding
Concordia University - Portland offers several fully online 14-month Master of Education (M.Ed.) programs and a fully online Doctorate of Education (Ed.D.) program.
- M.Ed. in Curriculum and Instruction Equity, Ethics, and Justice
- M.Ed. in Curriculum & Instruction: Common Core State Standards Instructional Leader
- M.Ed. in Curriculum & Instruction: The Inclusive Classroom (SPED) More...