Texas Universities Offering Self-Employment Education
The continuing difficulties in the job market are causing more people who have lost work and can't find new opportunities to create opportunity for themselves. In Texas a number of universities are responding with coursework that will provide learning support for self-employment efforts.
"Our approach to studying entrepreneurship allows students to experiment and learn from trying something," said Dr. Susanna Khavul, assistant professor of strategy and entrepreneurship at the University of Texas at Arlington. "Students work in teams on a feasibility study or plan for an existing business," she said. "That gives them the opportunity to look at expanding a business, starting something new or trying something entrepreneurial at the companies where they work."
The result is an entrepreneurship degree based on the practicalities of today's small business environment. "I teach graduate students who are anywhere from age 20 to 65," she said. "On the first day of class, I ask them if they have ever met an entrepreneur. Historically, only about 10 percent of the class will say yes. Then I ask them if they have any friends who own their own business, or if they use a drycleaner��They begin to be aware that there is a lot of entrepreneurship around them, particularly in this area."
A similar program at Baylor puts students in a situation to look critically at business models at all levels in order to teach the concepts underlying enterprise development. "Entrepreneurship majors have a core course sequence that helps them conceptualize, design and implement whatever business they want to follow," said Dr. Kendall Artz, director of the university's entrepreneurship program.
"This program is different from the regular business degree," he said. "We have a tremendous breadth and depth of courses, including a specialization in family business management and concentrations in social, corporate and technology entrepreneurship.
- Psychology (BA) (Online)
- Business Administration - Accounting (BS) (Online)
- Business Administration - Healthcare Management (BS) (Online) More...
- Veterinary Technology Alternate Route - Certificate
- Respiratory Therapy
- Veterinary Technology - Associates More...
An accredited online university, Capella University offers bachelor’s, master’s/MBA, doctoral, and certificate programs designed to take you to the forefront of your profession.
- MS - Addiction Studies
- MS - School Counseling (CACREP-accredited)
- MSN - RN-to-MSN Diabetes Nursing (CCNE-accredited) More...
Founded in 1766, Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, is a leading national public research university and the state’s preeminent, comprehensive public institution of higher learning.
- Online Master of Social Work
- Online Master of Information
- Online Bachelor of Science in Nursing
Change the World with American University
Be a part of something bigger than yourself.
- Graduate Certificate in Human Resource Analytics and Mangement
- Master of Science in Measurement & Evaluation
- Master of Science in Nutrition Education More...
Concordia University - Portland offers several fully online 14-month Master of Education (M.Ed.) programs and a fully online Doctorate of Education (Ed.D.) program.
- M.Ed. in Curriculum & Instruction: Common Core State Standards Instructional Leader
- M.Ed. in Curriculum & Instruction: The Inclusive Classroom (SPED)
- Higher Education (EDD) More...
Join the community of thought leaders at University of the Rockies. Pursue your graduate degree from the University’s School of Professional Psychology or School of Organizational Leadership.
- MA in Public Sociology
- Doctor of Psychology, Mediation & Conflict Resolution
- Doctor of Philosophy, Organizational Development and Leadership More...
Hofstra University is a private institution whose primary mission is to provide a quality education to its students in an environment that encourages, nurtures and supports learning through the free and open exchange of ideas for the betterment of humankind.
- Online Master of Arts in Health Law and Policy
- Online Master of Laws in Health Law and Policy
For over 35 years, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals.
- PhD in Industrial and Organizational Psychology
- Master of Arts in Criminal Justice
- Master of Science in Nursing More...