The Rise and Fall of the University E-Mail
It's a proud moment for some, getting that school-sanctioned .edu-suffixed e-mail address. That pride, however, has become a diminishing return as years go by and more students enter college with addresses they've had forever and grown quite attached to. What's a college to do? According to one article, a trend among colleges lately is to outsource school e-mail addresses, one step away from phasing them out altogether. While it may seem sad, it's a move that is making sense both logically and fiscally.
Schools, for the most part, aren't able to keep up with the speed of innovation on the web anyway, and the fact that many college-run email systems have fallen far behind the innovation curve has driven a lot of students to just forward their school email to a commercial account anyway.
Given the cost pressures that schools are under right now, the choice for these colleges is to either spend a lot of money on providing costly email systems that most students hardly ever look at, or to outsource them to a commercial vendor, or even to Google, which will happily offer these services for free.
Some schools, such as University of Nevada at Reno, have already announced their relinquishing of fresh e-mail addresses. More schools, it's reported, will likely keep them but merely use them to forward e-mails to students' existing accounts -- a good means of compromise between a school identity and the simple fact that students these days are logging on far before their college days begin.
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (RN to BSN completion)
- Master of Science in Management - Healthcare Management
- Master of Science in Information Technology - Network Management More...
- Veterinary Assistant
- Certified Dog Trainer Instructor Course
- Grooming Instruction
Founded by the Society of Jesus in 1851, Saint Joseph's University (SJU) has been developing the minds and abilities of men and women in a challenging academic environment steeped in the enriching Jesuit tradition of cura personalis (care of the entire person).
- MS in Criminal Justice - Intelligence & Crime Analysis Concentration
- MS Instructional Technology Specialist
- MS Business Intelligence More...
Located in the heart of Washington, D.C. the Milken Institute School of Public Health at the George Washington University is dedicated to advancing the health of local, national and global communities.
You need to have a Bachelor’s degree to be qualified for this school.
- Executive Master of Health Administration
- Master of Public Health
An accredited online university, Capella University offers bachelor’s, master’s/MBA, doctoral, and certificate programs designed to take you to the forefront of your profession.
- DBA - Global Operations and Supply Chain Management (ACBSP-accredited)
- EdS - Teacher Leader in Digital Transformation
- MS - Addiction Studies More...
One of the world's leading private research institutions, the University of Southern California (USC) was founded in 1880.
- Online Master of Management in Library and Information Science - Urban Public Librarianship
- Online Master of Management in Library and Information Science - Academic Librarianship
- Master of Public Administration More...
You’re serious about success. With your busy schedule and the desire to move your career forward, you can earn an accredited associate, bachelors or master’s degree at a pace that works for you anywhere, anytime, 24/7.
At AIU, the Serious U, you can get started to get ahead.
- Master's (M.Ed.) - Leadership of Educational Organizations
- Bachelor of Accounting
- Bachelor's (BSCJ) - Law Enforcement More...
Johns Hopkins University Carey Business School has brought the philosophy of business with humanity in mind to a part time format.
- Flexible MBA
- Flexible MBA - Entrepreneurship
- Flexible MBA - Management More...