The Rise and Fall of the University E-Mail
It's a proud moment for some, getting that school-sanctioned .edu-suffixed e-mail address. That pride, however, has become a diminishing return as years go by and more students enter college with addresses they've had forever and grown quite attached to. What's a college to do? According to one article, a trend among colleges lately is to outsource school e-mail addresses, one step away from phasing them out altogether. While it may seem sad, it's a move that is making sense both logically and fiscally.
Schools, for the most part, aren't able to keep up with the speed of innovation on the web anyway, and the fact that many college-run email systems have fallen far behind the innovation curve has driven a lot of students to just forward their school email to a commercial account anyway.
Given the cost pressures that schools are under right now, the choice for these colleges is to either spend a lot of money on providing costly email systems that most students hardly ever look at, or to outsource them to a commercial vendor, or even to Google, which will happily offer these services for free.
Some schools, such as University of Nevada at Reno, have already announced their relinquishing of fresh e-mail addresses. More schools, it's reported, will likely keep them but merely use them to forward e-mails to students' existing accounts -- a good means of compromise between a school identity and the simple fact that students these days are logging on far before their college days begin.
- Business Administration (AS) (Online)
- Psychology (BA) (Online)
- Business Administration - Accounting (BS) (Online) More...
The Maxwell School of Citizenship and Public Affairs is Syracuse University’s home for innovative, interdisciplinary teaching and research in the social sciences, public policy, public administration, and international relations.
- Executive Master of Public Administration (Executive MPA)
An accredited online university, Capella University offers bachelor’s, master’s/MBA, doctoral, and certificate programs designed to take you to the forefront of your profession.
- DBA - Global Operations and Supply Chain Management (ACBSP-accredited)
- EdS - Teacher Leader in Digital Transformation
- MS - Addiction Studies More...
Join the community of thought leaders at University of the Rockies. Pursue your graduate degree from the University’s School of Professional Psychology or School of Organizational Leadership.
- MA in Public Sociology
- Doctor of Psychology, Mediation & Conflict Resolution
- Doctor of Philosophy, Organizational Development and Leadership More...
Founded in 1766, Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, is a leading national public research university and the state’s preeminent, comprehensive public institution of higher learning.
- Online Master of Social Work
- Online Master of Information
- Online Bachelor of Science in Nursing
You can advance your career with a degree from Charter College Online.
- Certificate - Medical Office Administrative Assistant
- Certificate - Business Office Administration
- Certificate - Computer Technician
Hofstra University is a private institution whose primary mission is to provide a quality education to its students in an environment that encourages, nurtures and supports learning through the free and open exchange of ideas for the betterment of humankind.
- Online Master of Arts in Health Law and Policy
- Online Master of Laws in Health Law and Policy