UAMS Hopes to Use New Investment to Curb Arkansas' Shortage of Geriatric Nurses
There is a health care problem in Arkansas right now. The state is already leading the nation in terms of its senior population, and according to Little Rock's Channel 7 News, it's expected that 24% of Arkansans will be over the age of 65 by the year 2025 -- what's worse, many retiring nurses will be among those ranks. Our nationwide nurse shortage couldn't come at a worse time for Arkansas. One school, however, is fighting back.
The University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences was just awarded $250,000 by national program Partners Investing in Nursing's Future (PIN), in conjunction with the Arkansas Community Foundation, one of ten foundations receiving funding from PIN this year. As Channel 7 reports, the school will be using that money to "lead an innovative effort to raise the number of college-educated geriatrics nurses in Arkansas nursing homes."
While the average population age of Arkansas continues to rise, unfortunately the same thing cannot be said about the population of working nurses. The news report states that "nationally, the shortage of registered nurses is expected to reach 29% by 2020. Add to that the fact that of the 2.56 million registered nurses in the U.S., fewer than 15,000 are certified gerontological nurses." Nurses, especially those with adult health nursing degrees and experience, are in growing demand for Arkansas hospitals and nursing homes.
That said, with the new grant UAMS is poised to expand and develop its school of nursing, and ramp up their recruitment tactics. "Arkansas Community Foundation has a long history of support for aspiring nurses," says the foundation's President and CEO Heather Larkin Eason, "and the PIN Partners grant now allows us to take a more systematic approach to our state's nursing shortage. We're pleased to collaborate with our partnering agencies to create an educational pathway for nurses that will address the needs of Arkansas's aging population."
Ideally, the school hopes to recruit LPNs and certified nursing assistants currently staffed at nursing homes, who need that extra push of support and financial aid to go back and get their higher level RN to BSN degree. Nurses with bachelor degrees and gerontology expertise are critical right now, says Claudia Beverly, PhD, RN, who is currently overseeing the project at UAMS: "Without significant effort, we risk neglecting a generation of seniors who will need those specially trained nurses... That's why I am so excited about this grant. We have an opportunity to really strengthen the quality of care and quality of life in nursing homes through a better prepared geriatrics nurse work force."
- Business Administration (AS) (Online)
- Psychology (BA) (Online)
- Business Administration - Accounting (BS) (Online) More...
At Animal Behavior College (ABC), we're dedicated to helping animal lovers pursue animal careers.
- Cat Training
- Veterinary Assistant
- Certified Dog Trainer Instructor Course More...
An accredited online university, Capella University offers bachelor’s, master’s/MBA, doctoral, and certificate programs designed to take you to the forefront of your profession.
- DBA - Global Operations and Supply Chain Management (ACBSP-accredited)
- EdS - Teacher Leader in Digital Transformation
- MS - Addiction Studies More...
Concordia University - Portland offers several fully online 14-month Master of Education (M.Ed.) programs and a fully online Doctorate of Education (Ed.D.) program.
- M.Ed. in Curriculum & Instruction: Common Core State Standards Instructional Leader
- M.Ed. in Curriculum & Instruction: The Inclusive Classroom (SPED)
- Higher Education (EDD) More...
Congratulations! Your interest in Independence University is an important first step toward changing your life. A career-focused degree is the key to a career with a potentially higher income, better benefits, and more satisfaction.
- Business Administration (BS)
- Business Administration - Human Resources (BS)
- Business Management & Accounting (AAS) More...
- Graphic Design, Bachelor of Science (Online)
- Internet Marketing, Master of Science (Online)
- Music Production, Bachelors of Science (Online) More...
Become the leader you know you can be. The Forbes School of Business & TechnologyÒat Ashford University
- BA Sports and Recreation Management - Information Systems
- BA Public Relations and Marketing - Project Management
- MBA - Information Systems More...
Change the World with American University
Be a part of something bigger than yourself.
- Master of Science in Measurement & Evaluation
- Master of Science in Nutrition Education
- Master of Arts in Economics - Applied Economics More...
- Online Associate Degree to Master Degree Nursing program
- Online Bachelor Degree to Master Degree Nursing program
- Master of Public Administration
- Veterinary Technology Alternate Route - Certificate
- Respiratory Therapy
- Veterinary Technology - Associates More...