UC Irvine Nationally Recognized for Online Courses
California public school powerhouse UC Irvine was nationally honored last week, for its strength and ingenuity...in its online courses?! That's right, the school is being lauded for its free online course program, as well as its progressive stance as the first UC system school to incorporate OpenCourseWare into its repertoire.
About 250 universities worldwide currently offer courses through this program. In the fall of 2006, UCI became the first university in the UC system to join the OCW Consortium. UC Berkeley later followed in 2007.
Since 2006, the site has attracted over 250,000 visitors, with over 35 percent of them being international. There are no registration requirements; all that is required is an Internet connection.
"UCI OpenCourseWare is a large-scale, Web-based resource that houses educational assets," said Gary W. Matkin, dean of Continuing Education at UCI. "[UCI]'s membership in the consortium is consistent with its public and land-grant missions and its desire to play a significant role in contributing to the social welfare of the state, the nation and the world."
Currently, UCI offers twenty online courses ranging broadly in subject matter -- the most popular, called "Fundamentals of Financial Planning," is a basic financial strategies program. With this national recognition, will we see this trend broaden as more public schools follow suit and bring their courses to the online population? Only time will tell, but, given the popularity such a gesture has brought, it certainly seems like the smart thing to do.
Baker College is proud to be the largest independent college in Michigan with the most focused approach to education and training available. With one of the highest graduate employment rates in the country, our mission is to help our students find meaningful employment.
- Elementary Mathematics - Additional Endorsement - Certificate
- Business Intelligence - MBA (Master's)
- Information Technology and Security - Bachelor More...
About The University of Texas at Arlington
- M.Ed. In Curriculum and Instruction - Mathematics Education
- Master of Science in Nursing - Pediatric Acute Care Nurse Practitioner
- M.Ed. In Curriculum and Instruction - Science Education More...
About Baylor University
Baylor is nationally-ranked as a research and academic institution by both U.S. News & World Report and Kiplinger’s.
- Master of Business Administration
- AA - Healthcare Information Technology
- Diploma - Massage
- AA - Paralegal Studies More...
About University of North Carolina Wilmington
To meet today’s high demand for nursing professionals UNCW is offering an accredited Bachelor of Science in Nursing program completely online.
- MSN Nurse Educator
- RN to BSN
Work toward your graduate degree with New England College Online.
- Master of Science in Accounting - Forensic Accounting
- MS in Management/Project Management
- Master of Science in Accounting More...
Join the community of thought leaders at University of the Rockies. Pursue your graduate degree from the University’s School of Professional Psychology or School of Organizational Leadership.
- MA in Public Sociology
- Doctor of Psychology, Mediation & Conflict Resolution
- Doctor of Philosophy, Organizational Development and Leadership More...
- Graphic Design, Bachelor of Science (Online)
- Internet Marketing, Master of Science (Online)
- Music Production, Bachelors of Science (Online) More...