United States Colleges Continue to Support Green Living
As we continue to approach the beginning of a new school year, it is growing more and more apparent that the trend towards going green is still on the rise. In fact, according to Reuters, many schools as a whole are working hard to lower their environmental impact.
It's happening at colleges and universities across the country. At Arizona State University, a six month-long major project is under way to redo the campus's interior and exterior lighting with quality low-energy fixtures, hoping to save over $100,000 worth of gigawatt-hours annually. Meanwhile, at Colorado College, new campus buildings are being built to meet LEED certification standards. The Russell T. Tutt Science Center, for example, incorporates wind-generated electricity, low-VOC paints, and other eco-friendly products -- plus some other extra bonuses, like like a shower for bicycle commuters.
Other schools are setting a green example from the inside out. Colleges like the University of Wisconsin-Madison, for example, are gaining a reputation for immersing students in their engineering degree programs in problems with an environmental slant -- the article describes a course in which students -- freshmen, at that -- were asked to "improve the environmental performance of a Vespa moped, a vehicle that already gets 90 miles per gallon" by improving its fuel efficiency through hydrogen or electricity.
According to Reuters, former President Bill Clinton visited the American College and University Presidents' Climate Commitment in Chicago last week, speaking before a group of 250 students in leadership roles hoping to reduce their campuses' environmental impacts, and reportedly encouraged the students' efforts, saying "All this work is out there laying on the ground, begging to be done with absolutely certain rate of return," Clinton told the university executives.
When asked why students are getting so passionate about the environment, Arizona State University class president Michael Crow responded that it's merely following the good ethos that his school has taught so well. "You work at a university that says the sky is falling, and you've done nothing?"
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (RN to BSN completion)
- Master of Science in Management - Healthcare Management
- Master of Science in Information Technology - Network Management More...
- Veterinary Assistant
- Certified Dog Trainer Instructor Course
- Grooming Instruction
An accredited online university, Capella University offers bachelor’s, master’s/MBA, doctoral, and certificate programs designed to take you to the forefront of your profession.
- DBA - Global Operations and Supply Chain Management (ACBSP-accredited)
- EdS - Teacher Leader in Digital Transformation
- MS - Addiction Studies More...
Founded by the Society of Jesus in 1851, Saint Joseph's University (SJU) has been developing the minds and abilities of men and women in a challenging academic environment steeped in the enriching Jesuit tradition of cura personalis (care of the entire person).
- MS in Criminal Justice - Intelligence & Crime Analysis Concentration
- MS Instructional Technology Specialist
- MS Business Intelligence More...
Concordia College-New York M.S. Degree Programs Online
Concordia College-New York offers accredited, innovative graduate degrees online to help you advance your career and become a transformative leader.
- M.S. in Digital Marketing
- M.A. in Digital Media
See What’s Possible When You Earn a Degree at Florida Tech 100% Online
- Bachelor of Arts in Applied Psychology/Forensic Psychology
- Master of Science in Information Technology
- Bachelor of Arts in Accounting More...
Saint Mary's University of Minnesota's Online Master's Programs
At Saint Mary's, we take pride in offering online graduate degrees designed to complement the schedules of working adults like you. Get an affordable, convenient education from a top-ranked university that's grounded in real-world applications.
- Master of Arts in Special Education
- Master of Education in Learning Design and Technology
- Accelerated MBA - Environment Management, Sustainability More...
You’re serious about success. With your busy schedule and the desire to move your career forward, you can earn an accredited associate, bachelors or master’s degree at a pace that works for you anywhere, anytime, 24/7.
At AIU, the Serious U, you can get started to get ahead.
- Master's (M.Ed.) - Leadership of Educational Organizations
- Bachelor of Accounting
- Bachelor's (BSCJ) - Law Enforcement More...
- B.A. Early Childhood Education
- B.A. Early Childhood Education with Dual Credential
- M.A. Education with Preliminary Education Specialist Instruction Credential More...