University of Nebraska Celebrates 100 Years of Distance Learning
In 1909 during the era of "correspondence schooling," the University of Nebraska at Lincoln (UNL) launched its first distance learning effort with some residents in the western reaches of the state. It would have taken a student from that area days to reach the campus on horseback. One hundred years later, students in Saudi Arabia can - and do - click to the Extended Education and Outreach web site in a matter of seconds.
Recruiting coordinator Laura Wiese explained that the University's availability to the state's vast rural regions adopted new technology as it developed. With the advent of the telephone came telephone-intensive courses. When television appeared on the scene, the University provided video broadcast. Today with the Web further simplifying connections, UNL offers 26 online degrees and 499 courses the same course material and the same degree that's available on campus.
At the UNL Extension, graduate level the Journalism School offers a Master's in Journalism and Mass Communications, with a course load that takes a thorough approach to the multimedia element essential to journalism today. The School of Education has programs for both a special education degree and for child development.
The College of Business Administration offers an MBA program with several specialization options. At the undergraduate level the principal options are for degree completion programs, although there appears to be just a single option for a bachelor's degree. A student must have 64 transferable credit hours or an associate's degree, which can be applied towards a bachelor's degree in applied science. This course of study according to the school prepares a graduate for the "application of science in society." It appears to be a hybrid of natural sciences, mathematics and liberal arts courses.
The University of Nebraska appears to be approaching the notion of undergraduate studies with caution, for fear of sullying the school's "brand," the current term in education circles for academic respect. Their approach to graduate programs is much more open, with participation from several of the liberal arts colleges, the agriculture programs - still important in Nebraska - and the business school. One hundred years of distance learning has brought the school about 90% of the distance to full online education options.
At Animal Behavior College (ABC), we're dedicated to helping animal lovers pursue animal careers.
- Cat Training
- Veterinary Assistant
- Certified Dog Trainer Instructor Course More...
- Home Health Aide
- Security Guard
- Veterinary Assistant More...
- Veterinary Technology Alternate Route - Certificate
- Respiratory Therapy
- Veterinary Technology - Associates More...
Join the community of thought leaders at University of the Rockies. Pursue your graduate degree from the University’s School of Professional Psychology or School of Organizational Leadership.
- MA in Public Sociology
- Doctor of Psychology, Mediation & Conflict Resolution
- Doctor of Philosophy, Organizational Development and Leadership More...
Study online with California University of Pennsylvania.
- Legal Studies - Homeland Security (Master of Science) - Online
- Wellness Coaching (Master of Science) - Online
- Dual Concentration: Performance Enhancement, Wellness Coaching (Master of Science) - Online More...
- Master of Public Administration Online
- Master of Arts in International Relations Online
- Master of Civil Engineering Online More...
See What’s Possible When You Earn a Degree at Florida Tech 100% Online
- Bachelor of Arts in Applied Psychology/Forensic Psychology
- Master of Science in Information Technology
- Bachelor of Arts in Accounting More...
Concordia College-New York M.S. Degree Programs Online
Concordia College-New York offers accredited, innovative graduate degrees online to help you advance your career and become a transformative leader.
- M.S. in Digital Marketing
- M.A. in Digital Media