Vocational Schools Gain Momentum in Sacramento
The country's recession shows little sign of slowing down at the moment, and one state being hit hard is California. As more and more employees find themselves laid off, going back to school is an appealing option to pick up new skills for new careers. In California's capital of Sacramento, vocational programs like dental assisting, massage therapy, and medical billing degrees are all becoming increasingly popular choices.
They're attracting laid-off workers like Elk Grove resident Hanh Nguyen, who lost his job a few months ago after 10 years in construction. The 41-year-old recently enrolled in the truck driving program at Sacramento's Center for Employment Training, a nonprofit trade school on 65th Street near the Florin Towne Centre.
"The hardest part is backing up," Nguyen said, following a class session on driving skills at the school's asphalt training yard last week. He's hoping to jump-start a new career as a big-rig driver.
One obstacle now facing vocational school themselves is their dedication to helping students find jobs after college. According to the article, California now faces a 11.5% unemployment rate. That said, the best offense is a good defense, and one of the best defenses against unemployment is a variety of marketable skills -- and the best way to gain those skills? A quality education.
At Animal Behavior College (ABC), we're dedicated to helping animal lovers pursue animal careers.
- Cat Training
- Veterinary Assistant
- Certified Dog Trainer Instructor Course More...
- Home Health Aide
- Security Guard
- Veterinary Assistant More...
- Master of Public Administration Online
- Master of Arts in International Relations Online
- Master of Civil Engineering Online More...
- Veterinary Technology Alternate Route - Certificate
- Respiratory Therapy
- Veterinary Technology - Associates More...
For over 35 years, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals.
- PhD in Industrial and Organizational Psychology
- Master of Arts in Criminal Justice
- Master of Science in Nursing More...
One of the world's leading private research institutions, the University of Southern California (USC) was founded in 1880.
- Online Master of Management in Library and Information Science - Urban Public Librarianship
- Online Master of Management in Library and Information Science - Academic Librarianship
- Master of Public Administration More...
Baker College is proud to be the largest independent college in Michigan with the most focused approach to education and training available. With one of the highest graduate employment rates in the country, our mission is to help our students find meaningful employment.
- Elementary Mathematics - Additional Endorsement - Certificate
- Business Intelligence - MBA (Master's)
- Information Technology and Security - Bachelor More...
Change the World with American University
Be a part of something bigger than yourself.
- Master of Science in Measurement & Evaluation
- Master of Science in Nutrition Education
- Master of Arts in Economics - Applied Economics More...