Western Governors University Announces Scholarship Program for Nurses
There are currently about 2.75 million Registered Nurses (RNs) working in the United States. Despite that figure there has been a shortage of qualified personnel in the field for years, and now the projection is that the shortage of RNs in the U.S. will grow to 260,000 by 2025. The rapidly aging workforce along with an increasing demand for healthcare as baby boomers age will be primary factors in the shortage - more professionals with Registered Nurse degrees are needed for more services. But there is another key component needed to address this problem.
The inadequate supply of qualified nurse educators and managers will continue to worsen as well. To help address the demand for baccalaureate and master's trained RNs, Western Governors University has created the WGU Future of Nursing Scholarship Program. The accredited, not-profit institution will award 20 scholarships each valued at up to $5,000 ($1,000 per six-month term up to five terms) to working RNs who wish to attend college online to become educators, managers, and leaders in the healthcare field.
The RN to BSN degree is enormously popular as an online degree option for working nurses who can study and manage an academic program while off duty and while at home. The degrees that Western Governors University is targeting with their scholarship program include this option, but reach beyond it to degrees that will make educators, educational administrators and nursing management professionals out of RNs working shifts today.
Eligible degrees include both the RN to MSN and the BSN to MSN option. Either choice provides the college credentials for an RN who wants to move into management within a hospital or clinic setting. There are also two MSN Degrees in Nursing - Leadership and Management programs, for nurses that have RN status and for those who have already obtained a BSN.
To be eligible for the WGU Future of Nursing Scholarship, applicants must possess an unencumbered RN license and an associate's degree or diploma in nursing, or a Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN). Scholarships will be awarded on a competitive basis--applicant G.P.A., letters of recommendation, telephone interview, and essay will be considered. For more information regarding the scholarship, go to www.wgu.edu/nursingscholarship or call 1-866-225-5948.
- Psychology (BA) (Online)
- Business Administration - Accounting (BS) (Online)
- Business Administration - Healthcare Management (BS) (Online) More...
- Veterinary Technology Alternate Route - Certificate
- Respiratory Therapy
- Veterinary Technology - Associates More...
An accredited online university, Capella University offers bachelor’s, master’s/MBA, doctoral, and certificate programs designed to take you to the forefront of your profession.
- MS - Addiction Studies
- MS - School Counseling (CACREP-accredited)
- MSN - RN-to-MSN Diabetes Nursing (CCNE-accredited) More...
Join the community of thought leaders at University of the Rockies. Pursue your graduate degree from the University’s School of Professional Psychology or School of Organizational Leadership.
- MA in Public Sociology
- Doctor of Psychology, Mediation & Conflict Resolution
- Doctor of Philosophy, Organizational Development and Leadership More...
Baker College is proud to be the largest independent college in Michigan with the most focused approach to education and training available. With one of the highest graduate employment rates in the country, our mission is to help our students find meaningful employment.
- Elementary Mathematics - Additional Endorsement - Certificate
- Business Intelligence - MBA (Master's)
- Information Technology and Security - Bachelor More...
A Rutgers business education prepares students for success – not just in their chosen fields but also in their lives.
- Online MS in Supply Chain Management
- Master of Governmental Accounting (Online)
Founded in 1766, Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, is a leading national public research university and the state’s preeminent, comprehensive public institution of higher learning.
- Online Master of Social Work
- Online Master of Information
- Online Bachelor of Science in Nursing
Concordia University - Portland offers several fully online 14-month Master of Education (M.Ed.) programs and a fully online Doctorate of Education (Ed.D.) program.
- M.Ed. in Curriculum & Instruction: Common Core State Standards Instructional Leader
- M.Ed. in Curriculum & Instruction: The Inclusive Classroom (SPED)
- Higher Education (EDD) More...