Western Governors University Receives Grant to Study Benefits of Online Education for Low-Income Students
Yesterday, respected online institution Western Governors University (WGU) issued a press release to announce its reception of a $1.2 million grant from the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, for the purposes of studying online degree programs and their potential role in improving graduation rates among young low-income and minority students.
This study comes on the heels of several recent observations. First of all, according to the press release, where the United States once led the world in higher education completion rates, it has now slipped to tenth place with little done by institutions "to actually help students earn the credentials they need to obtain well-paying jobs and a better life." Secondly is the observation, made by a recently completed Gates Foundation-funded study, that balancing a full-time job with the demanding schedule of a traditional college degree has proved to be one of the most common and largest problems for low-income young adults struggling to earn a degree.
Online schools, on the other hand, solve many of the problems created by traditional school from scheduling conflicts to acceleration for quick training. What's more, they have been steadily gaining acceptance -- according to WCU, "20 percent of higher education students now take at least one online course." Now, with this grant, the college will be able to research just how much an online school can help, and potentially work toward improving the online college experience.
This study is expected to run until September of 2010.
At Animal Behavior College (ABC), we're dedicated to helping animal lovers pursue animal careers.
- Cat Training
- Veterinary Assistant
- Certified Dog Trainer Instructor Course More...
- Home Health Aide
- Security Guard
- Veterinary Assistant More...
- Master of Public Administration Online
- Master of Arts in International Relations Online
- Master of Civil Engineering Online More...
St. Thomas University offers fully online business and education graduate degrees built on a 50-year tradition of scholastic excellence, community leadership, and faith-focused values.
- M.S. in Educational Leadership
- Ed.D. in Leadership and Management
The MSW@USC is the first top-ranked MSW program offered nationally. Many online programs are limited to certain geographic areas or the availability of courses, making it necessary to travel to campus. Our program can be completed from virtually anywhere without the need to relocate to Southern California.
- Doctor of Social Work
- Master of Social Work
An accredited online university, Capella University offers bachelor’s, master’s/MBA, doctoral, and certificate programs designed to take you to the forefront of your profession.
- DBA - Global Operations and Supply Chain Management (ACBSP-accredited)
- EdS - Teacher Leader in Digital Transformation
- MS - Addiction Studies More...
Founded in 1766, Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, is a leading national public research university and the state’s preeminent, comprehensive public institution of higher learning.
- Online Master of Social Work
Change the World with American University
Be a part of something bigger than yourself.
- Master of Science in Measurement & Evaluation
- Master of Science in Nutrition Education
- Master of Arts in Economics - Applied Economics More...
- Online Associate Degree to Master Degree Nursing program
- Online Bachelor Degree to Master Degree Nursing program
- Master of Public Administration