70 Million in Grants from the Gates Foundation
In light of our country's economic state, the number of low income students that go to college is projected to drop sharply. In light of this almost certainty, on Monday, the Gates Foundation announced plans to offer almost 70 million dollars in grants to low income students. The purpose of this endowment is to double the number of low income students that earn a vocational or college credential.
The statistics behind the initiative are stark. While growing numbers of students in this country enroll in college, most of them never graduate. With large numbers working full time to pay for college and a lack of institutional support for struggling students, only about 25 percent of low-income students earn any kind of postsecondary degree, experts say. The rate for black and Latino students is about 20 percent.
With states cutting budgets for higher education, and a lack of endowments, many students who have to test scores to go to college simply will not, due to financial constraints. The Gates Foundation endowment will not go directly to students, but it will support programs to help low income student be able to go to college or stay in school to earn their degree. This could translate in to approximately 250,000 students a year who are able to complete their college or vocational education.
About University of North Carolina Wilmington
To meet today’s high demand for nursing professionals UNCW is offering an accredited Bachelor of Science in Nursing program completely online.
- MSN Nurse Educator
- RN to BSN
About Baylor University
Baylor is nationally-ranked as a research and academic institution by both U.S. News & World Report and Kiplinger’s.
- Master of Business Administration
- Bachelor of Science in Respiratory Therapy
- Master of Science in Nursing - Womens Health Nurse Practitioner
- Master of Science in Criminal Justice More...
Earn your graduate degree online with Northcentral University.
- International Business - D.B.A.
- Leadership in Higher Education - EdS
- MS Organizational Leadership - Nonprofit Management More...
Study online with California University of Pennsylvania.
- Legal Studies - Homeland Security (Master of Science) - Online
- Wellness Coaching (Master of Science) - Online
- Dual Concentration: Performance Enhancement, Wellness Coaching (Master of Science) - Online More...
One of the world's leading private research institutions, the University of Southern California (USC) was founded in 1880.
- Online Master of Management in Library and Information Science - Urban Public Librarianship
- Online Master of Management in Library and Information Science - Academic Librarianship
- Master of Public Administration More...
Concordia University - Portland offers several fully online 14-month Master of Education (M.Ed.) programs and a fully online Doctorate of Education (Ed.D.) program.
- M.Ed. in Curriculum and Instruction Equity, Ethics, and Justice
- M.Ed. in Curriculum & Instruction: Common Core State Standards Instructional Leader
- M.Ed. in Curriculum & Instruction: The Inclusive Classroom (SPED) More...
As home sales increase, you can be ready to launch a new career. Allied’s real estate programs provide the perfect way to start a professional career - one with unlimited opportunity! Put yourself at the forefront of the real estate field as a salesperson, broker or appraiser.
- California Real Estate License
- Virginia Real Estate License
- Nevada Real Estate License More...
You’re serious about success. With your busy schedule and the desire to move your career forward, you can earn an accredited associate, bachelors or master’s degree at a pace that works for you anywhere, anytime, 24/7.
At AIU, the Serious U, you can get started to get ahead.
- Master's (M.Ed.) - Leadership of Educational Organizations
- Bachelor of Accounting
- Bachelor's (BSCJ) - Law Enforcement More...