The 9 Most Bizarre College Courses in America
Overwhelmed by the rigors of academic pursuit? Need an easy "A"? UC Santa Cruz offers courses in sailing and surfing. Too bad you can't complete a surfing class online. But there are online courses that teach you to read your opponent at poker, spin a Yo-Yo and overcome a fear of flying.
A survey of the nine most-bizarre college courses in America offers hope to students who can't decide on a major and are willing to fill up credits without firing up too much gray matter:
9. The Art & Science of Beer: History, Technology & Culture --Indiana University
Down in Bloomington, it's not just about lifting a mug at Bluebird, Kilroys or Nick's, it's about learning to ferment your own hops in your dorm room at Brisco or McNutt.
8. Bowling Lane & Pinsetter Maintenance--Vincennes University
A landmark course offered in Vincennes' curriculum of the Bowling Industry Management major. Outstanding semester accompaniment to Indiana's beer course.
7. Introduction to Bagpipes--Pasadena City College
Learn the fine art of skirling while your dorm-mates attempt to sleep off a nasty night in Old Town. Clothing optional beneath the kilt. Online students may use a chanter at home.
6. Topics in Comparative Media: American Pro Wrestling--MIT
Brainiacs rejoice! Using materials from the WWE, MIT offers a course focusing on "how wrestling characters and performances have changed, focusing particularly on the 1950s to the present." Learn the vital distinction between a chokeslam and a facebuster.
5. Programming Chinese Checkers--Dixie State College of Utah
Anyone can write an app for finding night clubs in major cities. But only Dixie State College teaches geeks how to program a tasty game of Chinese Checkers. Remember: none of the jumped pieces are deleted!
4. Zombies in Popular Media--Columbia College Chicago
Students review literature, comics and films to develop critical theory on flesh-gnawing, blood-sucking, night crawling characters. Note: there's no eating permitted in class. Online students: get outdoors more often.
3. Star Trek and Religion--Indiana University
There is no true comparison between Captain Kirk and Coach Bobby Knight, but you might draw parallels between Isiah Thomas, Geordi La Forge and the Prodigal Son. With studies in beer and Star Trek, the heart beats strong for Bloomington academics.
2. Tractor Driving--University of California
UC Davis, in the heart of California's fruit basket, offers ABT 49, "Field Equipment Operation," every fall and spring quarter. Learn how to take the captain's chair in farm implements including tractors, Moldboard plows, listers, bedders, discs, land planes, ring rollers and mowers. Know how to attach a three-point hitch.
1. Stupidity--Occidental College
How does stupidity reveal itself in culture and political life, from the Presidency to Beavis and Butthead? Learn precisely how through this course offered at Occidental College, home to President Barack Obama's proclaimed favorite academician, professor Roger Boesche. Before you enroll, however, think about how you might explain an "F" in this one…
A college education is a serious pursuit, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't enjoy what you're taking. While prerequisites and courses in your major should probably come first, sprinkling in some fun along the way might be just what the zombie ordered.
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (RN to BSN completion)
- Master of Science in Management - Healthcare Management
- Master of Science in Information Technology - Network Management More...
- Veterinary Assistant
- Certified Dog Trainer Instructor Course
- Grooming Instruction
An accredited online university, Capella University offers bachelor’s, master’s/MBA, doctoral, and certificate programs designed to take you to the forefront of your profession.
- DBA - Global Operations and Supply Chain Management (ACBSP-accredited)
- EdS - Teacher Leader in Digital Transformation
- MS - Addiction Studies More...
Johns Hopkins University Carey Business School has brought the philosophy of business with humanity in mind to a part time format.
- Flexible MBA
- Flexible MBA - Entrepreneurship
- Flexible MBA - Management More...
Congratulations! Your interest in Independence University is an important first step toward changing your life. A career-focused degree is the key to a career with a potentially higher income, better benefits, and more satisfaction.
- Business Administration - Human Resources (BS)
- Business Management & Accounting (AAS)
- Business Administration - New Media Marketing (BS) More...
Change the World with American University
Be a part of something bigger than yourself.
- Master of Science in Measurement & Evaluation
- Master of Science in Nutrition Education
- Master of Arts in Economics - Applied Economics More...
Earn your graduate degree online with Northcentral University.
- International Business - D.B.A.
- Leadership in Higher Education - EdS
- MS Organizational Leadership - Nonprofit Management More...
Since 1888, The University of Scranton has grounded its education in Catholic and Jesuit principles based on intellectual growth and integrity, all of which shape the online master’s and certificate programs.
- Online General MBA
- Online MBA specialization in Operations Management
- Online Master of Accountancy More...
One of the world's leading private research institutions, the University of Southern California (USC) was founded in 1880.
- Online Master of Management in Library and Information Science - Urban Public Librarianship
- Online Master of Management in Library and Information Science - Academic Librarianship
- Master of Public Administration More...