Applications: The Hidden Costs of College and How to Save
Everyone talks about the cost of college itself, from classes to dorms and how to find scholarships and loans, but in reality the cost of college starts long before you even get accepted. At Today on MSNBC, college admissions expert Katherine Cohen, PhD, explains how to budget for the college application process and all of its hidden costs along the way.
Make a budget for applying
Many families only save for college tuition, but forget about the costs involved in applying to college. By using the free Application Budget Calculator, families will see that the average cost of applying to college is $3,500!
That much, seriously? When you take into account the applications themselves at $100 a pop, plus Advanced Placement classes and tests, plus standardized tests like the SAT or ACT, plus the books and prep courses designed to help you ace them, suddenly $3,500 doesn't seem so far-fetched.
Make a testing plan
Know which standardized tests to take and when. If you are spending $45 on an SAT, be prepared for it. In fact, applicants should make a budget for test preparation. It can be as affordable as the cost of a test-prep book up to several hundreds or thousands of dollars for test-prep courses or one-on-one tutoring.
Check out the rest of the article for more tips on surviving the pre-college hurdles so that you can safely make it to the main course.
- Veterinary Technology Alternate Route - Certificate
- Respiratory Therapy
- Veterinary Technology - Associates More...
The MSW@USC is the first top-ranked MSW program offered nationally. Many online programs are limited to certain geographic areas or the availability of courses, making it necessary to travel to campus. Our program can be completed from virtually anywhere without the need to relocate to Southern California.
- Doctor of Social Work
- Master of Social Work
An accredited online university, Capella University offers bachelor’s, master’s/MBA, doctoral, and certificate programs designed to take you to the forefront of your profession.
- MS - Addiction Studies
- MS - School Counseling (CACREP-accredited)
- MSN - RN-to-MSN Diabetes Nursing (CCNE-accredited) More...
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- Legal Studies - Homeland Security (Master of Science) - Online
- Wellness Coaching (Master of Science) - Online
- Dual Concentration: Performance Enhancement, Wellness Coaching (Master of Science) - Online More...
A Rutgers business education prepares students for success – not just in their chosen fields but also in their lives.
- Online MS in Supply Chain Management
- Master of Governmental Accounting (Online)
Join the community of thought leaders at University of the Rockies. Pursue your graduate degree from the University’s School of Professional Psychology or School of Organizational Leadership.
- MA in Public Sociology
- Doctor of Psychology, Mediation & Conflict Resolution
- Doctor of Philosophy, Organizational Development and Leadership More...
The Maxwell School of Citizenship and Public Affairs is Syracuse University’s home for innovative, interdisciplinary teaching and research in the social sciences, public policy, public administration, and international relations.
- Executive Master of Public Administration (Executive MPA)
Baker College is proud to be the largest independent college in Michigan with the most focused approach to education and training available. With one of the highest graduate employment rates in the country, our mission is to help our students find meaningful employment.
- Elementary Mathematics - Additional Endorsement - Certificate
- Business Intelligence - MBA (Master's)
- Information Technology and Security - Bachelor More...