Applications: The Hidden Costs of College and How to Save
Everyone talks about the cost of college itself, from classes to dorms and how to find scholarships and loans, but in reality the cost of college starts long before you even get accepted. At Today on MSNBC, college admissions expert Katherine Cohen, PhD, explains how to budget for the college application process and all of its hidden costs along the way.
Make a budget for applying
Many families only save for college tuition, but forget about the costs involved in applying to college. By using the free Application Budget Calculator, families will see that the average cost of applying to college is $3,500!
That much, seriously? When you take into account the applications themselves at $100 a pop, plus Advanced Placement classes and tests, plus standardized tests like the SAT or ACT, plus the books and prep courses designed to help you ace them, suddenly $3,500 doesn't seem so far-fetched.
Make a testing plan
Know which standardized tests to take and when. If you are spending $45 on an SAT, be prepared for it. In fact, applicants should make a budget for test preparation. It can be as affordable as the cost of a test-prep book up to several hundreds or thousands of dollars for test-prep courses or one-on-one tutoring.
Check out the rest of the article for more tips on surviving the pre-college hurdles so that you can safely make it to the main course.
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (RN to BSN completion)
- Master of Science in Management - Healthcare Management
- Master of Science in Information Technology - Network Management More...
- Veterinary Assistant
- Certified Dog Trainer Instructor Course
- Grooming Instruction
You’re serious about success. With your busy schedule and the desire to move your career forward, you can earn an accredited associate, bachelors or master’s degree at a pace that works for you anywhere, anytime, 24/7.
At AIU, the Serious U, you can get started to get ahead.
- Master's (M.Ed.) - Leadership of Educational Organizations
- Bachelor of Accounting
- Bachelor's (BSCJ) - Law Enforcement More...
An accredited online university, Capella University offers bachelor’s, master’s/MBA, doctoral, and certificate programs designed to take you to the forefront of your profession.
- DBA - Global Operations and Supply Chain Management (ACBSP-accredited)
- EdS - Teacher Leader in Digital Transformation
- MS - Addiction Studies More...
Welcome to Argosy University
Argosy University offers doctoral, master's, and bachelor's degree programs to students through its eight colleges: College of Behavioral Sciences, Graduate School of Business and Management, College of Education, College of Health Sciences, College of Arts and Sciences, College of Creative Arts and Design, College of Clinical Psychology and Western State College of Law at Argosy University as well as certificate programs in many areas.
- Business Administration (AS) (Online)
- Psychology (BA) (Online)
- Business Administration - Accounting (BS) (Online) More...
Join the community of thought leaders at University of the Rockies. Pursue your graduate degree from the University’s School of Professional Psychology or School of Organizational Leadership.
- MA in Public Sociology
- Doctor of Psychology, Mediation & Conflict Resolution
- Doctor of Philosophy, Organizational Development and Leadership More...
- Master of Science in Healthcare Informatics
Earn your graduate degree online with Northcentral University.
- International Business - D.B.A.
- Leadership in Higher Education - EdS
- MS Organizational Leadership - Nonprofit Management More...
Johns Hopkins University Carey Business School has brought the philosophy of business with humanity in mind to a part time format.
- Flexible MBA
- Flexible MBA - Entrepreneurship
- Flexible MBA - Management More...