Avoiding Oppenheimer College Fund Disasters in the Future
Today in Bloomberg News, iMoney author and regular Bloomberg columnist John F. Wasik discussed the recent nationwide epidemic of 529 savings plan collapses, taking a detailed look into the trading practices of investment firms like OppenheimerFunds and what led to their downfalls.
For some reason, Oppenheimer's Core Bond and Champion Income funds had been investing in obscenely risky mortgage security derivatives. The Champion Income fund lost 79 percent last year and the Core Bond fund dropped 36 percent, compared with a loss of about 8 percent for their peers, according to Bloomberg data. Bond funds aren't supposed to lose this kind of money.
How did these funds slip into college savings plans? State treasurers and independent ratings companies were blindsided.
[...] Greg Brown, an analyst at research firm Morningstar Inc. in Chicago, said the fund's risk profile "changed rather quickly and due to the delay in regulatory filings, it was difficult to stay on top of the fund -- especially when Oppenheimer did not adequately disclose the risks and leverage they were using."
In addition to explaining what in particular helped contribute to the collapse of 529 savings plans, Wasik offers advice on how to avoid letting the same thing happen to you -- most importantly, by taking investing into your own hands and taking control of your funds and how they are managed.
You can reduce asset-management fees by buying directly sold programs and avoiding brokers entirely. If you have a child who may go to college within the next five years, reduce market risk by ensuring age-based options have no stocks allocated.
Wasik also puts the government on notice, for failing to regulate or set broker fee limits on 529 plans. All in all, a very interesting and insightful read. Check out the article in its entirety here.
- Veterinary Technology Alternate Route - Certificate
- Respiratory Therapy
- Veterinary Technology - Associates More...
Founded in 1766, Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, is a leading national public research university and the state’s preeminent, comprehensive public institution of higher learning.
- Online Master of Social Work
- Online Master of Information
- Online Bachelor of Science in Nursing
Join the community of thought leaders at University of the Rockies. Pursue your graduate degree from the University’s School of Professional Psychology or School of Organizational Leadership.
- MA in Public Sociology
- Doctor of Psychology, Mediation & Conflict Resolution
- Doctor of Philosophy, Organizational Development and Leadership More...
The Maxwell School of Citizenship and Public Affairs is Syracuse University’s home for innovative, interdisciplinary teaching and research in the social sciences, public policy, public administration, and international relations.
- Executive Master of Public Administration (Executive MPA)
You can advance your career with a degree from Charter College Online.
- Certificate - Medical Office Administrative Assistant
- Certificate - Business Office Administration
- Certificate - Computer Technician
Welcome to Argosy University
Argosy University offers doctoral, master's, and bachelor's degree programs to students through its eight colleges: College of Behavioral Sciences, Graduate School of Business and Management, College of Education, College of Health Sciences, College of Arts and Sciences, College of Creative Arts and Design, College of Clinical Psychology and Western State College of Law at Argosy University as well as certificate programs in many areas.
- Psychology (BA) (Online)
- Business Administration - Accounting (BS) (Online)
- Business Administration - Healthcare Management (BS) (Online) More...
Change the World with American University
Be a part of something bigger than yourself.
- Graduate Certificate in Human Resource Analytics and Mangement
- Master of Science in Measurement & Evaluation
- Master of Science in Nutrition Education More...
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- Legal Studies - Homeland Security (Master of Science) - Online
- Wellness Coaching (Master of Science) - Online
- Dual Concentration: Performance Enhancement, Wellness Coaching (Master of Science) - Online More...
Located in the heart of Washington, D.C. the Milken Institute School of Public Health at the George Washington University is dedicated to advancing the health of local, national and global communities.
You need to have a Bachelor’s degree to be qualified for this school.
- Executive Master of Health Administration
- Master of Public Health