College Degrees Wanted -- and Online Education Could Help
There are more students in college nowadays than ever before -- but education officials are saying it's still not enough to fill the growing number of career opportunities requiring college graduates.
There are certainly roadblocks along the way. According to the Sun-Herald, The Southern Regional Education Board has released its 2009 "Fact Book on Higher Education," and it is noted that costs at many colleges are rising even faster than graduation rates. Nevertheless, Education Board officials have stated that they would like to see an attendance and graduation turnaround, especially in a few chosen fields. In particular, officials expressed a strong desire to see some "key demographic groups" actively pursuing such programs as teaching degrees.
With rising college costs and the country's current economic hardships, many are turning to alternative options to get their college degrees. Online degrees in particular are becoming more and more accepted in mainstream education culture -- they offer students the freedom to study and pursue any number of degree programs, from course certificates to bachelor degrees and master degrees, while still allowing the time and flexibility to manage one's family life and keep up with a current career. The Keene Sentinel reported on Friday that roughly 4 million people enrolled in an online college course in 2007's fall semester, according to a survey of over 2000 individual colleges and universities.
However, as legitimacy overall has come to online colleges, the experts are careful to stress the utmost importance of accreditation and recognition when it comes to choosing the right school for you. A degree from an online program will hold its own against degrees earned in a classroom, one experienced Keene-based hiring manager mentioned, as long as "it is in an accredited, reputable program coming from an accredited, reputable educational institution." Another hiring manager at a popular employment services firm asserted that, these days, an online degree "carries the same weight as one from an established bricks-and-mortar institution," and furthermore that "if a person has acquired a degree through online education I think it's appreciated ... It shows great motivation on the applicant's part."
Education officials aren't giving up on motivating more adults to consider going back to school, whether traditionally or online. As Hank Bounds, Mississippi's state commissioner of higher education, stated on behalf of Southern Regional Education Board officials: "in these tough economic times, a more educated citizenry should be of the highest priority."
Join the community of thought leaders at University of the Rockies. Pursue your graduate degree from the University’s School of Professional Psychology or School of Organizational Leadership.
- MA in Public Sociology
- Doctor of Psychology, Mediation & Conflict Resolution
- Doctor of Philosophy, Organizational Development and Leadership More...
- Veterinary Technology Alternate Route - Certificate
- Respiratory Therapy
- Veterinary Technology - Associates More...
An accredited online university, Capella University offers bachelor’s, master’s/MBA, doctoral, and certificate programs designed to take you to the forefront of your profession.
- DBA - Global Operations and Supply Chain Management (ACBSP-accredited)
- EdS - Teacher Leader in Digital Transformation
- MS - Addiction Studies More...
- Master of Public Administration Online
- Master of Arts in International Relations Online
- Master of Civil Engineering Online More...
Founded in 1766, Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, is a leading national public research university and the state’s preeminent, comprehensive public institution of higher learning.
- Online Master of Social Work
St. Thomas University offers fully online business and education graduate degrees built on a 50-year tradition of scholastic excellence, community leadership, and faith-focused values.
- M.S. in Educational Leadership
- Ed.D. in Leadership and Management
Founded in 1872, Maryville University is a four-year, private university located in west St. Louis County.
- Online Bachelor of Science in Nursing to Doctor of Nursing Practice (BSN to DNP)-Adult-Gerontology Acute Care Nurse Practitioner (AGACNP)
- Online Master of Business Administration Supply Chain Management/Logistics Concentration
- Online Master of Science in Nursing-Family Nurse Practitioner (FNP) More...
- Associate of Arts in Business - Business Management
- Bachelor of Arts in Business - Organizational Leadership
- Master of Arts in Ministry - Practical Theology More...
Earn your graduate degree online with Northcentral University.
- International Business - D.B.A.
- Leadership in Higher Education - EdS
- MS Organizational Leadership - Nonprofit Management More...
Since 1888, The University of Scranton has grounded its education in Catholic and Jesuit principles based on intellectual growth and integrity, all of which shape the online master’s and certificate programs.
- Online General MBA
- Online MBA specialization in Operations Management
- Online Master of Accountancy More...