Five Federal Grants for College Students
While student aid is definitely competitive, there are a great many resources out there if you're just beginning your post-secondary education. Almost every college, university, or trade school offering online classes and degrees has a financial aid office or student aid website. Students often give up on aid or turn to loans before exploring all their options for grants. Grants may have conditions for receiving awards, but do not require repayment. And while they won't entirely pay for your education, they can take a dent out of your costs for books and other fees.
Here are five Federal grants available for students of higher learning:
1. Teach Grant Program. This is the newest grant program, created by Congress' College Cost Reduction and Access Act of 2007. Students who enroll in undergraduate or graduate-level teacher training programs and who are committed to classroom teaching can receive $4,000 a year in grants toward tuition. You must commit to teach for four academic years in a elementary or secondary school serving low-income students to qualify.
2. Federal Pell Grant. This is a jumpstart grant to students beginning undergrad work for the first time. Grants for 2008 are approximately $4,731 a year and are based on economic needs and education costs.
3. Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant. The FSEOG is for students with extreme financial need. Lowest income students get first priority for these $100 and $4,000 a year grants.
4. Academic Competitiveness Grant. The AC Grant is a relatively new grant, created to supplement Pell grantees based on their academic aptitude or accomplishment. First-year students receive $750 in addition to the Pell Grant; second-year students with at least a 3.0 grade average can receive up to an additional $1,300 a year.
5. A National SMART Grant. Third and fourth-year students who qualify for a Pell Grant and have at least a 3.0 grade point average are eligible to apply for an additional $4,000 a year. To qualify, you must be majoring in the sciences, engineering, mathematics, technology, or in a foreign language determined by the federal government to be critical to national security.
- Business Administration (AS) (Online)
- Psychology (BA) (Online)
- Business Administration - Accounting (BS) (Online) More...
Founded in 1766, Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, is a leading national public research university and the state’s preeminent, comprehensive public institution of higher learning.
- Online Master of Social Work
- Veterinary Technology Alternate Route - Certificate
- Respiratory Therapy
- Veterinary Technology - Associates More...
Concordia University - Portland offers several fully online 14-month Master of Education (M.Ed.) programs and a fully online Doctorate of Education (Ed.D.) program.
- M.Ed. in Curriculum & Instruction: Common Core State Standards Instructional Leader
- M.Ed. in Curriculum & Instruction: The Inclusive Classroom (SPED)
- Higher Education (EDD) More...
- Master of Public Administration Online
- Master of Arts in International Relations Online
- Master of Civil Engineering Online More...
Grow Your Career with the University of Saint Mary
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nurse Educator
- Masters of Business Administration - Enterprise Risk Management
- Masters of Business Administration - Marketing and Advertising More...
Saint Xavier University, Chicago’s oldest Catholic university, has a long history of educating students to prepare them for professional success and lay the foundation for personal fulfillment.
- MSN in Clinical Leadership
- MSN in Executive Leadership
- MS in Finance
Change the World with American University
Be a part of something bigger than yourself.
- Master of Science in Measurement & Evaluation
- Master of Science in Nutrition Education
- Master of Arts in Economics - Applied Economics More...
Sacred Heart University Online
- Master of Science in Applied Psychology - Community Psychology
- Master of Science in Applied Psychology - Industrial Organizational Psychology
- Master of Science in Applied Psychology