Five Federal Grants for College Students
While student aid is definitely competitive, there are a great many resources out there if you're just beginning your post-secondary education. Almost every college, university, or trade school offering online classes and degrees has a financial aid office or student aid website. Students often give up on aid or turn to loans before exploring all their options for grants. Grants may have conditions for receiving awards, but do not require repayment. And while they won't entirely pay for your education, they can take a dent out of your costs for books and other fees.
Here are five Federal grants available for students of higher learning:
1. Teach Grant Program. This is the newest grant program, created by Congress' College Cost Reduction and Access Act of 2007. Students who enroll in undergraduate or graduate-level teacher training programs and who are committed to classroom teaching can receive $4,000 a year in grants toward tuition. You must commit to teach for four academic years in a elementary or secondary school serving low-income students to qualify.
2. Federal Pell Grant. This is a jumpstart grant to students beginning undergrad work for the first time. Grants for 2008 are approximately $4,731 a year and are based on economic needs and education costs.
3. Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant. The FSEOG is for students with extreme financial need. Lowest income students get first priority for these $100 and $4,000 a year grants.
4. Academic Competitiveness Grant. The AC Grant is a relatively new grant, created to supplement Pell grantees based on their academic aptitude or accomplishment. First-year students receive $750 in addition to the Pell Grant; second-year students with at least a 3.0 grade average can receive up to an additional $1,300 a year.
5. A National SMART Grant. Third and fourth-year students who qualify for a Pell Grant and have at least a 3.0 grade point average are eligible to apply for an additional $4,000 a year. To qualify, you must be majoring in the sciences, engineering, mathematics, technology, or in a foreign language determined by the federal government to be critical to national security.
Unitek College™ is a privately held vocational school dedicated to helping you gain the skills needed to advance your career or begin a brand new career.
- Bachelor of Science Nursing - RN to BSN
Change the World with American University
Be a part of something bigger than yourself.
- Master of Science in Measurement & Evaluation
- Master of Public Administration and Policy
- Master of Science in Sports Analytics Management More...
Grow Your Career with the University of Saint Mary
- Masters of Business Administration - Human Resources Management
- RN to Bachelor of Science in Nursing
- Masters of Business Administration - Health Care Management More...
Simmons’ online Master of Public Health program, MPH@Simmons, is designed to give you the real-world skills you need to address health inequity on a local, national, and global scale. The MPH@Simmons program explores the core areas of public health: epidemiology, biostatistics, health policy and health services, environmental health, and social/behavioral health. Additionally, the practice-based curriculum incorporates courses specifically designed to help you develop leadership and advocacy skills.
- Master of Public Health
- Veterinary Assistant
- Grooming Instruction
- Certified Dog Trainer Instructor Course
Ultimate Medical Academy (UMA) offers industry-relevant knowledge and training for in demand careers in healthcare.
- A.S. - Health Sciences - Medical Administrative Assistant
- Diploma - Medical Office Billing Specialist
- Diploma - Healthcare Technology and Systems More...
A private, nonprofit, 501(c)(3) institution, Antioch University serves approximately 5,000 adult students online and at five campuses in four states. All benefit from an education immersed in our core values of inclusiveness, social justice, experiential learning, and socially engaged, global citizenship.
- Bachelor of Arts in Management
Technology changes everything®
You’ve found Ashford University, where school comes to you
- BA/Sports and Recreation Management - Project Management
- Master of Public Administration
- BA/Public Relations and Marketing - Project Management More...