Graduation Rate Gap Widens at State Universities
According to new study findings released today, African-American students are falling farther and farther behind their peers in graduation rates at state universities in Maryland, even in spite of the universities' best efforts to work against such an outcome.
The state university system reported that 40 percent of black students earn a degree within six years of entering college, compared with 65 percent for all students. That 25-point gap is a significant increase over three years ago, when the gap was 15 points.
Officials said the system is enrolling thousands more African-American students and particularly more lower-income students who often have to drop out for financial reasons. Despite those challenges, officials did not hide their frustration at the numbers.
"The retention and graduation rates have declined over time, which is very troubling," said system Chancellor William E. Kirwan. Last year he ordered each of the system's 13 campuses to devise a plan to narrow the achievement gap. "It will be very disappointing if we don't start to see the numbers increase."
The most significant part of the study is that most of the students who dropped out did not do so as a response to suffering grades -- rather, most of them were shown to be "in good academic standing." The problem seems to be that, as it takes longer and longer for students to graduate (most schools reportedly expect students to last through five or even six years of undergraduate education these days), tuition bills mount and most students just can't reach the end of the tunnel. More than anything, this study indicates a need for college to rethink how best to provide for its students, garnering enough revenue to run itself while, at the same time, not having to sacrifice the attendance of students whose lives could be changed so much by a college degree.
At Animal Behavior College (ABC), we're dedicated to helping animal lovers pursue animal careers.
- Cat Training
- Veterinary Assistant
- Certified Dog Trainer Instructor Course More...
- Graphic Design, Bachelor of Science (Online)
- Internet Marketing, Master of Science (Online)
- Music Production, Bachelors of Science (Online) More...
Concordia University - Portland offers several fully online 14-month Master of Education (M.Ed.) programs and a fully online Doctorate of Education (Ed.D.) program.
- M.Ed. in Curriculum & Instruction: Common Core State Standards Instructional Leader
- M.Ed. in Curriculum & Instruction: The Inclusive Classroom (SPED)
- Higher Education (EDD) More...
An accredited online university, Capella University offers bachelor’s, master’s/MBA, doctoral, and certificate programs designed to take you to the forefront of your profession.
- DBA - Global Operations and Supply Chain Management (ACBSP-accredited)
- EdS - Teacher Leader in Digital Transformation
- MS - Addiction Studies More...
The MSW@USC is the first top-ranked MSW program offered nationally. Many online programs are limited to certain geographic areas or the availability of courses, making it necessary to travel to campus. Our program can be completed from virtually anywhere without the need to relocate to Southern California.
- Doctor of Social Work
- Master of Social Work
The goal of earning a master’s degree should be defined by you, not by your circumstances. No matter which path you’ve chosen, a graduate degree can help you advance with your current organization, explore opportunities with a new company, or even start fresh in a new industry. When you earn your master's degree, you’re opening new opportunities for career development that can make a difference for you and your family. Through flexible class scheduling, dedicated career advisors and quality programs, NAU strives to provide a caring and supportive learning environment to ensure your success as a student.
- Master of Business Administration, Aviation Management
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Education
- Master of Science in Nursing - Care Coordination More...
- Associate of Arts in Business - Business Management
- Bachelor of Arts in Business - Organizational Leadership
- Master of Arts in Ministry - Practical Theology More...
Making the decision to earn your degree and pursue your career goals could be the best decision you ever make. Enroll at ECPI University and you’ll join a collaborative and fostering learning environment, surrounded by faculty and staff who are there to support you through the entire process.
- Cloud Computing - Bachelor's
- Cyber and Network Security - Bachelor's
- Network Security - Associate's More...
For over 35 years, Keiser University has provided student-centered, quality career education. Keiser University Online offers degree programs online to prepare students for in-demand professions.
- Bachelor of Arts in Psychology
- Associate of Science in Information Technology
- Bachelor of Arts in Criminal Justice More...
- Veterinary Technology Alternate Route - Certificate
- Respiratory Therapy
- Veterinary Technology - Associates More...