Nationally Accredited Online Colleges and Universities
There are dozens of accrediting bodies for schools of higher learning. These institutions, in turn, are accredited by one or both of two organizations that provide oversight for the accrediting process: the U.S. Department of Education (DOE) and the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA).
Both organizations recognize the Distance Education and Training Council Accrediting Commission (DETC), the only national online education accreditation body with this status. However there are accredited online degrees granted by many colleges that have attained their accreditation from other organizations recognized by the DOE or CHEA.
The principal college and university accrediting bodies are six regional associations of schools that have divided the country into six districts. There are also programmatic accrediting organizations for specialties such as nursing, the law, medicine, psychology, etc. The larger accredited online universities such as Kaplan have sought approval from a string of associations - and in the case of Kaplan University, for instance, DETC has granted accredited distance learning status to several of the Kaplan campuses as well as the University itself.
In a sense, national accreditation flows from the DOE or CHEA through the many non-profit accrediting bodies that they recognize. There is a database here of all colleges and universities, including accredited distance learning schools, that are recognized by associations authorized by either CHEA or the DOE.
Baker College is proud to be the largest independent college in Michigan with the most focused approach to education and training available. With one of the highest graduate employment rates in the country, our mission is to help our students find meaningful employment.
- General Studies - Bachelor
- Leadership Studies - MBA (Master's)
- Business Administration - Associate More...
Located in the heart of Washington, D.C. the Milken Institute School of Public Health at the George Washington University is dedicated to advancing the health of local, national and global communities.
You need to have a Bachelor’s degree to be qualified for this school.
- Master of Public Health
- Executive Master of Health Administration
Nursing@Simmons, the innovative, online nursing degree program from Simmons School of Nursing and Health Sciences prepares Registered Nurses for the next stage of their careers.
You need to have a Bachelor’s degree and RN license to be qualified for this school.
- MSN - Family Nurse Practitioner
- RN to MSN - Family Nurse Practitioner
Founded by the Society of Jesus in 1851, Saint Joseph's University (SJU) has been developing the minds and abilities of men and women in a challenging academic environment steeped in the enriching Jesuit tradition of cura personalis (care of the entire person).
- Master?s in Secondary Education with OATCERT Certification
- Master of Science in Special Education with Autism Specialization
- Master's in CJ with Homeland Security More...
Grow Your Career with the University of Saint Mary
- Masters of Business Administration - Human Resources Management
- RN to Bachelor of Science in Nursing
- Masters of Business Administration - Health Care Management More...
- Creative Writing, Master of Fine Arts (Online)
- Entertainment Business, Master of Science (Online)
- Audio Production Bachelors (Online) More...