Regionally Accredited Online Universities
There are literally dozens of accrediting organizations in this country for higher education. The federal Department of Education (DOE) has no mandate for accrediting schools; the Secretary of Education is, however, required to publish a list each year of the organizations that the Department recognizes as valid, responsible accrediting agencies. In the eyes of the DOE, there are two types of accrediting associations: those that evaluate colleges and universities as institutions, and those that evaluate specialty schools for their programmatic value.
As an example of "programmatic" evaluation, for nursing school accreditation the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education evaluates schools that offer bachelors' degrees in nursing and above. The American Physical Therapist Association has a commission that evaluates schools offering both physical therapist degrees and the associates' degree in physical therapist assistant. These organizations accredit online degrees in some cases.
For colleges and universities that offer undergraduate and graduate degrees in many fields, the "gold standard" for accreditation is recognition from one of six regional associations of colleges and schools. For example Harvard, the University of Massachusetts, and Northwestern Connecticut Community College are all accredited by the New England Association of Schools and Colleges.
These six regional associations do list accredited online education schools that have some regional campus identity. The Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA) is the established non-governmental agency that grants recognition to all regional accrediting associations; CHEA maintains a database of all accrediting organizations, regional and national, recognized by both CHEA and the Department of Education.
- Psychology (BA) (Online)
- Business Administration - Accounting (BS) (Online)
- Business Administration - Healthcare Management (BS) (Online) More...
- Veterinary Technology Alternate Route - Certificate
- Respiratory Therapy
- Veterinary Technology - Associates More...
An accredited online university, Capella University offers bachelor’s, master’s/MBA, doctoral, and certificate programs designed to take you to the forefront of your profession.
- DBA - Global Operations and Supply Chain Management (ACBSP-accredited)
- EdS - Teacher Leader in Digital Transformation
- MS - Addiction Studies More...
The Maxwell School of Citizenship and Public Affairs is Syracuse University’s home for innovative, interdisciplinary teaching and research in the social sciences, public policy, public administration, and international relations.
- Executive Master of Public Administration (Executive MPA)
Baker College is proud to be the largest independent college in Michigan with the most focused approach to education and training available. With one of the highest graduate employment rates in the country, our mission is to help our students find meaningful employment.
- Elementary Mathematics - Additional Endorsement - Certificate
- Business Intelligence - MBA (Master's)
- Information Technology and Security - Bachelor More...
Join the community of thought leaders at University of the Rockies. Pursue your graduate degree from the University’s School of Professional Psychology or School of Organizational Leadership.
- MA in Public Sociology
- Doctor of Psychology, Mediation & Conflict Resolution
- Doctor of Philosophy, Organizational Development and Leadership More...