The Secret to College Essays: Write Early and Often
Atttention, high school seniors! It might seem like the end of November is practically light years away, but those college applications will be due sooner than you think, and there's a lot more to them than just GPAs and letters of recommendation. Will you be prepared, or will you be wearing your hands down to the bone typing up last-minute essays in a race to beat the clock? It might seem like a good idea at the time -- who wants to write essays when you could be enjoying your last weekends of summer? -- but it's a plan that could come back to haunt you in a few months' time.
Just ask New York Times guest columnist Madeline Walter.
Today, Walter works as an essay editor and a writing coach, helping students across the country get into the colleges and universities of their dreams. It isn't a skill she developed overnight, however. In her guest column, she describes her own experience with college essay writing, and the necessity of practice (no matter how good you think your writing skills already are). It all started with Harvard and a blanket:
"I wrote my Harvard personal statement about 'Blanky,' the yellow baby blanket that still sits on my bed today. (Yes, today. Yes, I'm 24.) It seemed like the perfect topic. Blanky shows that I have a childlike vulnerability! Blanky has been with me through it all! Blanky is tattered but I love him more for those worn edges and that hole in the middle �� what a perfect metaphor for life!"
Upon re-reading her files, the college writing maven discovered the essay to be a little more lackluster than she remembered, for a variety of reasons ranging from overly-flowery prose to an awful lot of filler for a 500-word essay. The main problem: a topic she chose "because I thought it was a unique concept and a good metaphor, not because it was fun to write. And because it was boring to write, it was boring to read."
Of course, she bounced back from there to write a winning essay for Yale and find her way into the hearts of several colleges. But it took a lot of blanket essays, bumps in the road, and revisions to get there. Interested in making it past your high school diploma? Don't forget your college essays -- they are hard work to perfect, and the best time to get started is now.
- Business Administration (AS) (Online)
- Psychology (BA) (Online)
- Business Administration - Accounting (BS) (Online) More...
An accredited online university, Capella University offers bachelor’s, master’s/MBA, doctoral, and certificate programs designed to take you to the forefront of your profession.
- DBA - Global Operations and Supply Chain Management (ACBSP-accredited)
- EdS - Teacher Leader in Digital Transformation
- MS - Addiction Studies More...
Making the decision to earn your degree and pursue your career goals could be the best decision you ever make. Enroll at ECPI University and you’ll join a collaborative and fostering learning environment, surrounded by faculty and staff who are there to support you through the entire process.
- Cloud Computing - Bachelor's
- Cyber and Network Security - Bachelor's
- Network Security - Associate's More...
Change the World with American University
Be a part of something bigger than yourself.
- Master of Science in Measurement & Evaluation
- Master of Science in Nutrition Education
- Master of Arts in Economics - Applied Economics More...
For over 35 years, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals.
- PhD in Industrial and Organizational Psychology
- Master of Arts in Criminal Justice
- Master of Science in Nursing More...
- Associate of Arts in Business - Business Management
- Bachelor of Arts in Business - Organizational Leadership
- Master of Arts in Ministry - Practical Theology More...
Grantham University's 100% accredited online degrees are convenient, portable and designed so you can fit education into your life instead of arranging life around your education.
- Bachelor of Science in Multidisciplinary Studies
- Bachelor of Science Interdisciplinary Studies - Strategic Communications
- Master of Business Administration More...
Earn your graduate degree online with Northcentral University.
- International Business - D.B.A.
- Leadership in Higher Education - EdS
- MS Organizational Leadership - Nonprofit Management More...
Congratulations! Your interest in Independence University is an important first step toward changing your life. A career-focused degree is the key to a career with a potentially higher income, better benefits, and more satisfaction.
- Business Administration (BS)
- Business Administration - Human Resources (BS)
- Business Management & Accounting (AAS) More...
- Online Associate Degree to Master Degree Nursing program
- Online Bachelor Degree to Master Degree Nursing program
- Master of Public Administration