Psychiatry Schools & Colleges - Psychiatric Programs
A trained psychiatrist achieves his doctorate by following medical school with four years of residency in psychiatry. There is very little psychiatric training in medical school. So one of the methods recommended for evaluating the degree of respect and recognition a medical school psychiatric department receives is to look at the amount of research funding they receive from the National Institutes of Health (NIH).
We find that this approach correlates pretty well with the knowledgeable opinions from individuals that can be found across the web. Here is a list of some of the best psychiatry schools, based on their research funding:
1. University of Pittsburgh
2. University of Pennsylvania
5. University of California/San Diego
6. Washington University in St. Louis
7. Johns Hopkins University
8. Mt. Sinai School of Medicine, New York
9. University of Texas/Dallas
10. University California/San Francisco
12. University of Michigan
14. University of Washington
15. University of Colorado
Missing from this list are some reputable medical schools with strong psychiatric programs. The University of Illinois has one of the top medical schools in the country, as does Columbia. The University of North Carolina and the University of Chicago belong in this elite group as well.
Harvard partners with the Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston and puts resources into several of the clinics operated by MGH. Tufts University Medical Center operates one of the oldest and most diversified psychiatric programs in the Boston area. Child and adolescent psychiatry is a particular clinical specialty there.
Capella provides a flexible online learning environment designed for working adults who want to advance in their profession.
- MS - Counseling Psychology
- PhD - Counselor Education and Supervision
- PsyD - School Psychology More...
Experience an education that helps you realize your potential in a way that fits you best. Request more information about Post University today.
- B.S. in Human Services / Counseling
- B.A. in Psychology
- B.A. in Psychology - Human Development, Education and Health More...
LeTourneau University is an interdenominational Christ-centered university.
- Master of Arts in Counseling - Dual Specialization Track
- Master of Arts in Counseling - Professional Counselor Specialization (LPC)
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology (BSPY) More...
At University of Phoenix, we believe everyone deserves access to higher education.
University of Phoenix is accredited by The Higher Learning Commission and is a member of the North Central Association. University of Phoenix was placed on Notice by The Higher Learning Commission, effective June 27, 2013. For additional information, contact The Higher Learning Commission, ncahlc.org.
- B.S. in Psychology
- M.S. in Psychology/Industrial- Organizational Psychology
- A.A. in Psychology More...
Kaplan University is focused on recognizing the achievements of military and veteran students and offers the flexibility of an online education.
- MS in Psychology - General Psychology
- BS in Psychology
- MS in Psychology More...
Welcome to Argosy University
Argosy University offers doctoral, master's, and bachelor's degree programs to students through its eight colleges: College of Behavioral Sciences, Graduate School of Business and Management, College of Education, College of Health Sciences, College of Arts and Sciences, College of Creative Arts and Design, College of Clinical Psychology and Western State College of Law at Argosy University as well as certificate programs in many areas.
- Counseling Psychology(EdD) (Online)
- Psychology (BA) (Online)
- Clinical Mental Health Counseling (MA) (Online) More...
With more than 300 online and residential areas of study, Liberty offers programs from the certificate to doctoral level.
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- BS in Psychology
- AA in Psychology More...
- M.A. Psychology
- Online Ph.D. Applied Behavior Analysis
- BCBA Respecialization Certificate More...