Psychiatry Schools & Colleges - Psychiatric Programs
A trained psychiatrist achieves his doctorate by following medical school with four years of residency in psychiatry. There is very little psychiatric training in medical school. So one of the methods recommended for evaluating the degree of respect and recognition a medical school psychiatric department receives is to look at the amount of research funding they receive from the National Institutes of Health (NIH).
We find that this approach correlates pretty well with the knowledgeable opinions from individuals that can be found across the web. Here is a list of some of the best psychiatry schools, based on their research funding:
1. University of Pittsburgh
2. University of Pennsylvania
5. University of California/San Diego
6. Washington University in St. Louis
7. Johns Hopkins University
8. Mt. Sinai School of Medicine, New York
9. University of Texas/Dallas
10. University California/San Francisco
12. University of Michigan
14. University of Washington
15. University of Colorado
Missing from this list are some reputable medical schools with strong psychiatric programs. The University of Illinois has one of the top medical schools in the country, as does Columbia. The University of North Carolina and the University of Chicago belong in this elite group as well.
Harvard partners with the Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston and puts resources into several of the clinics operated by MGH. Tufts University Medical Center operates one of the oldest and most diversified psychiatric programs in the Boston area. Child and adolescent psychiatry is a particular clinical specialty there.
The University of Florida is ranked #5 in the country by U.S. News & World Report for Best Online Bachelor’s Programs. Be greater. Be a gator.
- BA in Psychology
Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- M.S. in Marriage, Couple, and Family Counseling - Trauma and Crisis
- Ph.D. in Counselor Education and Supervision - General Program
- M.S. in Marriage, Couple, and Family Counseling - Forensic Counseling More...
At University of Phoenix, we believe everyone deserves access to higher education.
University of Phoenix is accredited by The Higher Learning Commission and is a member of the North Central Association. University of Phoenix was placed on Notice by The Higher Learning Commission, effective June 27, 2013. For additional information, contact The Higher Learning Commission, ncahlc.org.
- B.S. in Psychology
- M.S. in Psychology/Industrial- Organizational Psychology
- A.A. in Psychology More...
One of the world's leading private research institutions, the University of Southern California (USC) was founded in 1880.
- Online Master of Science in Applied Psychology
Earn Your Degree from U.S. News & World Report-Ranked Florida Tech – 100% Online.
- Associate of Arts in Applied Psychology
- Bachelor of Arts in Applied Psychology
- Bachelor of Arts in Applied Psychology/Clinical Psychology More...
Experience an education that helps you realize your potential in a way that fits you best. Request more information about Post University today.
- B.S. in Human Services / Counseling
- B.A. in Psychology
- B.A. in Psychology - Human Development, Education and Health More...
- M.A. Psychology
- Online Ph.D. Applied Behavior Analysis
- BCBA Respecialization Certificate More...