Psychiatry Schools & Colleges - Psychiatric Programs
A trained psychiatrist achieves his doctorate by following medical school with four years of residency in psychiatry. There is very little psychiatric training in medical school. So one of the methods recommended for evaluating the degree of respect and recognition a medical school psychiatric department receives is to look at the amount of research funding they receive from the National Institutes of Health (NIH).
We find that this approach correlates pretty well with the knowledgeable opinions from individuals that can be found across the web. Here is a list of some of the best psychiatry schools, based on their research funding:
1. University of Pittsburgh
2. University of Pennsylvania
5. University of California/San Diego
6. Washington University in St. Louis
7. Johns Hopkins University
8. Mt. Sinai School of Medicine, New York
9. University of Texas/Dallas
10. University California/San Francisco
12. University of Michigan
14. University of Washington
15. University of Colorado
Missing from this list are some reputable medical schools with strong psychiatric programs. The University of Illinois has one of the top medical schools in the country, as does Columbia. The University of North Carolina and the University of Chicago belong in this elite group as well.
Harvard partners with the Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston and puts resources into several of the clinics operated by MGH. Tufts University Medical Center operates one of the oldest and most diversified psychiatric programs in the Boston area. Child and adolescent psychiatry is a particular clinical specialty there.
- M.S. in Christian Counseling of Substance Abuse and Addictive Disorders
- M.S. in Professional Counseling with an Emphasis in Marriage and Family Therapy
- M.S. in Professional Counseling More...
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology - Consumer Behavior
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology - Organizational Behavior
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology
- MS - Clinical Counseling
- PhD - Counselor Education and Supervision (CACREP-accredited)
- BS - Psychology More...
See What’s Possible When You Earn a Degree at Florida Tech 100% Online
- Associate of Arts in Applied Psychology
- Bachelor of Arts in Applied Psychology
- Bachelor of Arts in Applied Psychology/Clinical Psychology More...
Earn your graduate degree online with Northcentral University.
- Mental Health Policy and Practice - Doctor of Philosophy in Psychology
- Psychology - BA
- General Psychology - PhD of Psychology More...
Liberty University provides a world-class education with a solid Christian foundation, equipping men and women with the values, knowledge, and skills essential for success in every aspect of life.
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Master of Arts: Pastoral Counseling: Discipleship and Church Ministry
- Master of Arts: Pastoral Counseling: Crisis Response and Trauma More...
For over 35 years, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals.
- PhD in Psychology
- PhD in Industrial and Organizational Psychology
Welcome to Argosy University
Argosy University offers doctoral, master's, and bachelor's degree programs to students through its eight colleges: College of Behavioral Sciences, Graduate School of Business and Management, College of Education, College of Health Sciences, College of Arts and Sciences, College of Creative Arts and Design, College of Clinical Psychology and Western State College of Law at Argosy University as well as certificate programs in many areas.
- Psychology (BA) (Online)
- Forensic Psychology (MA) (Online)
Baker College is proud to be the largest independent college in Michigan with the most focused approach to education and training available. With one of the highest graduate employment rates in the country, our mission is to help our students find meaningful employment.
- Psychology - Bachelor
- Industrial/Organizational Psychology - MSIOP (Master's)
- Bachelor of Arts in Psychology
- Bachelor of Arts in Substance Abuse Counseling