Computer Programming Colleges & Schools
While big-name and highly competitive schools like MIT, Harvard and Stanford usually show up toward the top on lists of "best-ranked schools" for their programs in software engineering, computer engineering and computer science, there are many other schools with IT departments that have a high level of excellence in computer programming studies. Here are some other schools students might want to consider:
- Penn State School of Information Sciences and Technology: They offer a highly focused program with degrees available both on campus and online.
- University of Illinois: Perl and Linux/Unix are two of the most popular courses in their Computer Science Department
- University of Michigan: Their expansive software engineering program includes classes in many computer languages and types of software structure.
- Purdue University: Software development is one of four undergraduate areas of focus in their College of Technology.
- University of Washington: This highly regarded school offers 20 certificate programs in information technology, some available online.
- University of Wisconsin: In addition to degree programs, they have an extracurricular on-campus Linux Users Group and Tutorials in C++ and Java.
- University of Texas: They offer a software development track for their undergraduate computer science and information science degrees.
- ITT Tech: This nationwide school offers a well-regarded software applications and programming major available at their 60 campuses.