More Colleges and Universities Changing to Online Models
The landscape of college education is undergoing exponential change. Traditional colleges and universities, strapped for cash during an economic downturn and with rising tuition costs, are considering shifts to online pay-per-class models.
Distance learning, once considered an option, is now being considered a necessity. According to a study by Brigham Young University and University of Michigan researchers, more and more students are forced by economic realities to combine their education with an active working life. Students, the researchers said, are shopping online for the best education deals.
The principal considerations among today's more mature, career-focused student population are centered around costs, flexibility in scheduling, and shorter time commitments to satisfy training requirements. In a reflection of those realities, colleges & online schools are responding by recruiting non-tenured faculty members to offer single courses or several courses bundled in a specialization.
How Learning Has Changed
Researchers now report that learning--once considered part of a comprehensive, campus-based omnibus curriculum--is shifting toward the nonlinear, user-centered, self-paced model. With courses offered with a "global reach", online learning brings high-quality education to students who cannot afford campus fees, commuting costs (gas and parking), or to those who have disabilities.
Moreover, the researchers say, educational goals among the computer-literate, distance-learning population is shifting from the notion of completing courses toward gaining skills or documenting professional competency. More and more, private schools are creating partnerships with technology companies in an effort to offer accelerated career training to busy people.
Bursting at the Seams
A report delivered to the University Continuing Education Association predicts that, in 2009, the single-largest high school graduating population in American history will move into the workplace or toward post-secondary education.
With withering economic fortunes in the country, many will turn toward online colleges, trade techs, or vocational schools that offer flexible schedules. Some will take the opportunity to complete their general education requirements and earn associates degrees online, further reducing the long-term cost of their education.
About Get Degrees
Get Degrees�� is one of the most comprehensive online education destinations on the web today. Check out our entire selection of accredited degree programs including mba degrees, business schools, nursing schools, criminal justice schools and more.
At the University of Nevada, Reno, we teach public health practitioners how to look beyond physical conditions and consider environmental, economic and sociological factors that impact individual and community health, happiness and well-being.
The online Master of Public Health in Public Health Practice is designed to prepare you for employment in nearly any area of the public health field.
- Online Master of Public Health (MPH)
Ohio University has offered distance learning educational opportunities for more than 100 years.
- Master of Public Administration
- Master of Health Administration
- Online MSN Nurse Educator Degree
- Cloud Technologies Bachelors - Online
- Graphic Design, Bachelor of Science (Online)
- Entertainment Business, Master of Science (Online) More...
Ultimate Medical Academy is a nonprofit healthcare career school—and students are at the heart of everything we do. That’s why we offer exclusive student services through your career training and beyond, beginning from the time you enroll online or at our campus in Clearwater, FL. We’ll also guide you toward the right program for your goals, and help you understand the affordability of your career training. So let us know you’re interested, and we’ll discuss how UMA can help you succeed.
Gainful employment information can be found at UltimateMedical.edu/gainful-employment and includes information on tuition, loan debt, completion, placement, and occupations.
- A.S. - Healthcare Information Technology
- Diploma - Medical Administrative Assistant
- A.S.- Health Sciences (Pharmacy Technician) More...
About Georgetown University
Georgetown University is a private, not-for-profit, accredited university located in Washington, DC. Founded in 1789 by John Carroll, Georgetown is America's oldest Catholic and Jesuit University. Today, Georgetown is a major international research university. It has nine schools, an affiliated hospital and many highly-ranked graduate programs.Georgetown University Online
- Master of Professional Studies in Sports Industry Management
- Master of Professional Studies in Real Estate
- Masters of Professional Studies in Technology Management More...
- Master of Public Administration Online
- Master of Arts in International Relations Online
- Master of Civil Engineering Online More...
A Saint Xavier University education is one that is grounded in the tradition of liberal arts. SXU offers graduate and post-graduate programs that are recognized and respected by employers and delivered by professional faculty who are experts in their fields.
- Nurse Educator Certificate
- Master of Science in Nursing - Clinical Leadership
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nurse Educator More...
Technology changes everything®
You’ve found Ashford University, where school comes to you
- Associate of Arts - Early Childhood.
- BA/Early Childhood Education Administration
- BA/Education Studies More...
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- Legal Studies - Homeland Security (Master of Science) - Online
- Wellness Coaching (Master of Science) - Online
- Dual Concentration: Performance Enhancement, Wellness Coaching (Master of Science) - Online More...
Northeastern University’s D’Amore-McKim School of Business is pleased to offer a 100% online MBA.
- Online Master of Science in Taxation
- Online MBA
- Online Master of Science in Finance