Prepping for the GRE
If you've completed your undergraduate work and are planning for graduate school, it's not too soon to take the Graduate Record Examination (GRE). There are two GRE exams: a general test that measures verbal reasoning, quantitative reasoning, and analytical writing, and a GRE Subject Test that measures your knowledge in your major field.
GRE Subject Tests are offered in:
- Biochemistry, Cell and Molecular Biology
- Computer Science
- Literature in English
- and Psychology.
Measuring Up on the GRE
According to text administrators Educational Testing Service (ETS), the general test measures a candidate's ability to "analyze and evaluate written material and synthesize information obtained from it, to understand basic concepts of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, and data analysis," and "to articulate complex ideas clearly and effectively."
Results from the General Test are evaluated by college admissions officers and members of the graduate faculty as a means of determining entrance and scholarship criteria. Results from the Subject Tests can separate you from the general population of applicants within your chosen field of study.
Practice Exams and Study Notes
ETS offers general test preparation materials for free at its website. You can download a practice test, read directions for taking the analytical essay, and learn how to prepare for verbal and quantitative sections of the exam. You'll also find a math review as well as test-taking strategies for the General Test.
Among the suggestions:
- Use all the available preparation materials before hand, including sample multiple-question and writing tests.
- Develop your own pace for completing the exam through routine practice.
- Use the computer tutorial (offered free of charge from ETS once you register to take the GRE).
- Read test directions carefully before each section, knowing how to budget your time.
- Don't panic if you're stuck; keep moving through the test.
- Graduate Certificate in Alcohol & Drug Counseling
- B.S. in Human Services / Human Services Management
- B.A. in Psychology / Organizational Psychology More...
- Cloud Technologies Bachelors - Online
- Graphic Design, Bachelor of Science (Online)
- Entertainment Business, Master of Science (Online) More...
Technology changes everything®
You’ve found Ashford University, where school comes to you
- Associate of Arts - Early Childhood.
- BA/Early Childhood Education Administration
- BA/Education Studies More...
- Nurse Educator (PGC)
- Nursing (RN to BSN)
- Specialization in Nursing Informatics (RN to MSN) More...
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Ministry: Evangelism & Church Planting
- M.Div: Homiletics More...
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- International Business - D.B.A.
- Leadership in Higher Education - EdS
- MS Organizational Leadership - Nonprofit Management More...
Study online with University of Maryland at College Park.
- MBA - Information Systems & Business Analytics
- MBA - General
- MBA - Marketing More...
About Georgetown University
Georgetown University is a private, not-for-profit, accredited university located in Washington, DC. Founded in 1789 by John Carroll, Georgetown is America's oldest Catholic and Jesuit University. Today, Georgetown is a major international research university. It has nine schools, an affiliated hospital and many highly-ranked graduate programs.Georgetown University Online
- Master of Professional Studies in Sports Industry Management
- Master of Professional Studies in Real Estate
- Masters of Professional Studies in Technology Management More...
- DHS - Advanced Program Evaluation & Data Analytics
- MS - Addiction Studies
- MS - School Counseling (CACREP-accredited) More...
Saint Leo University is a Catholic, liberal arts-based university serving people of all faiths.
- BA in Psychology - General Studies
- Master of Science in Instructional Design
- Master of Science in Psychology More...